Recumbent causes rider to miss train...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
    outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
    about my bike and my headtorch.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

    Tags:

  2. PeteC

    PeteC Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
    > outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
    > about my bike and my headtorch.

    It takes two to make an interview... obviously you had little better to do
    also! ;-)

    Pete.

  3. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
    > outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
    > about my bike and my headtorch.

    Yes, heard lt.
    Just a few seconds though
    You must cut your timings tight to miss your train.

    I did like the lady who said she took her bike on the train in order to
    use it at both ends of her journey and her comment on the sometimes less
    than positive attitude by some train staff.

    John B

  4. On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:35:44 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
    message <[email protected]>:

    >You must cut your timings tight to miss your train.

    I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
    onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
    around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

    Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    Tony

  6. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
    > >

    > Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    Point of order.
    You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

    John B

  7. JohnB wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
    >>>

    >>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    > Point of order.
    > You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

    Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
    targets." is grammatically correct.

    Colin

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    JohnB wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
    >>>

    >>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    > Point of order.
    > You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.
    >
    > John B

    Mr Chairman, my learned colleague has just himself demonstrated that you
    can indeed use punctuality and trains in the same sentence and I move
    that his Point of Order be dismissed.

    Tony

  9. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:

    > Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
    > targets." is grammatically correct.

    True, but it's something of a tautology. Just saying "Virgin Trains"
    tells you all you need to know... ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > JohnB wrote:
    >> Tony Raven wrote:

    >>>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    >> Point of order.
    >> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

    > Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
    > targets." is grammatically correct.

    Yes, but it's a tautology.

    my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
    ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

  11. MatSav

    MatSav Guest

    > in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > JohnB wrote:

    > >> Point of order.
    > >> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

    > > Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
    > > targets." is grammatically correct.

    > Yes, but it's a tautology.

    news:uk.railway is thataway ====>>

    and

    <<=== news:uk.grammar should be thataway :)

    --
    MatSav

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    MatSav wrote:

    > news:uk.railway is thataway ====>>
    >
    > and
    >
    > <<=== news:uk.grammar should be thataway :)

    Which way for news:uk.netcop?

    --
    Dave...

    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
    future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

  13. On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:58:26 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >> I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

    >Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

    It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
    earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
    - it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
    after, a quarter to eight.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
    onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
    around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

  14. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:50:00 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
    >earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
    >- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
    >after, a quarter to eight.

    Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
    catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
    so far.

    Also been rather late for work.

  15. On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:44:08 +0000, Al C-F
    <vasvt0tkafe1kv4jaenilgk5c1vjmd[email protected]>:

    >>It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
    >>earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
    >>- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
    >>after, a quarter to eight.

    >Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
    >catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
    >so far.

    It's not so bad for me - there's a 7:58 from platform 8 (which is
    coincidentally both the time and the platform of the old train) but it
    stops at every lamp-post so I prefer the slightly earlier one which is
    direct. And one of these days I'll get a Brompton so I can catch the
    8ish from Platform 4 which is an express.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
    onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
    around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

  16. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:11:10 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
    >>>earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
    >>>- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
    >>>after, a quarter to eight.

    >>Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
    >>catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
    >>so far.

    >It's not so bad for me - there's a 7:58 from platform 8 (which is
    >coincidentally both the time and the platform of the old train) but it
    >stops at every lamp-post so I prefer the slightly earlier one which is
    >direct. And one of these days I'll get a Brompton so I can catch the
    >8ish from Platform 4 which is an express.

    The problem is that to buy a ticket and get the 7:55, I need to leave
    the house at about 7:00, which seems (to me) to be so much earlier.

    The alternative is a five minute walk to the local station to get the
    7:55 - but then I wouldn't get a bike ride.