Recumbent causes rider to miss train...

Just zis Guy, you know?

Guest
On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
about my bike and my headtorch.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
> outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
> about my bike and my headtorch.

It takes two to make an interview... obviously you had little better to do
also! ;-)

Pete.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On account of having to field a BBC Radio Berkshire interviewer
> outside the station who obviously had nothing better to do than ask me
> about my bike and my headtorch.

Yes, heard lt.
Just a few seconds though
You must cut your timings tight to miss your train.

I did like the lady who said she took her bike on the train in order to
use it at both ends of her journey and her comment on the sometimes less
than positive attitude by some train staff.

John B

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:35:44 +0000, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>You must cut your timings tight to miss your train.

I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

Guy
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> >
> > I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
> >

> Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

Point of order.
You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

John B

JohnB wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>>>I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
>>>

>>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

> Point of order.
> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
targets." is grammatically correct.

Colin

JohnB wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>
>>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>>>I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.
>>>

>>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

> Point of order.
> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.
>
> John B

Mr Chairman, my learned colleague has just himself demonstrated that you
can indeed use punctuality and trains in the same sentence and I move
that his Point of Order be dismissed.

Tony

Colin Blackburn wrote:

> Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
> targets." is grammatically correct.

True, but it's something of a tautology. Just saying "Virgin Trains"
tells you all you need to know... ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
('[email protected]') wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>> Tony Raven wrote:

>>>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

>> Point of order.
>> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

> Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
> targets." is grammatically correct.

Yes, but it's a tautology.

my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

> in message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > JohnB wrote:

> >> Point of order.
> >> You cannot use punctuality and trains in the same sentence.

> > Surely the sentence, "Virgin Trains failed to meet its punctuality
> > targets." is grammatically correct.

> Yes, but it's a tautology.

news:uk.railway is thataway ====>>

and

<<=== news:uk.grammar should be thataway :)

--
MatSav

MatSav wrote:

> news:uk.railway is thataway ====>>
>
> and
>
> <<=== news:uk.grammar should be thataway :)

Which way for news:uk.netcop?

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:58:26 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>> I'm usually on the platform before the train arrives. Usually.

>Is that a comment on your punctuality or the trains?

It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
after, a quarter to eight.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 11:50:00 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
>earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
>- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
>after, a quarter to eight.

Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
so far.

Also been rather late for work.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 14:44:08 +0000, Al C-F
<[email protected]>:

>>It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
>>earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
>>- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
>>after, a quarter to eight.

>Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
>catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
>so far.

It's not so bad for me - there's a 7:58 from platform 8 (which is
coincidentally both the time and the platform of the old train) but it
stops at every lamp-post so I prefer the slightly earlier one which is
direct. And one of these days I'll get a Brompton so I can catch the
8ish from Platform 4 which is an express.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
onn theyre arses that theyre fartes be herde from myles
around." Chaucer, the Sheppey Tales

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:11:10 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>>It's the result of the new timetable - my train is now four minutes
>>>earlier in the mornings, and my morning routine has not yet caught up
>>>- it means leaving the house slightly before, rather than slightly
>>>after, a quarter to eight.

>>Similar problem here. Train now leaves at 7:55 not 8:05. Have yet to
>>catch it. Have spent twenty minutes waiting for next train every time
>>so far.

>It's not so bad for me - there's a 7:58 from platform 8 (which is
>coincidentally both the time and the platform of the old train) but it
>stops at every lamp-post so I prefer the slightly earlier one which is
>direct. And one of these days I'll get a Brompton so I can catch the
>8ish from Platform 4 which is an express.

The problem is that to buy a ticket and get the 7:55, I need to leave
the house at about 7:00, which seems (to me) to be so much earlier.

The alternative is a five minute walk to the local station to get the
7:55 - but then I wouldn't get a bike ride.