recumbent choices

Richard Poirier

Guest
Hello,

I presently own a Bike E recumbent and am looking to upgrade. I have looked at the Quetzal
Paradisio Exotico and the Burley Canto. Can anybody shed some light/thoughts on which would be a
better purchase?

Thanks,

Richard P

You do realize the 2 bents are radically different to ride. I have no experience with the Burley and
limited exposure to the Pardisio (other than the point I used to ride a Peugeot 105 speed...which
was almost the Pardisio). The only real problem with the Quetzal is this, if or more accurately
(when) you decide to sell and buy a new bent, the chances of being able to sell the Pardisio are
pretty close to nil. Selling the Burley will be soooo much easier and you'll get a good price for it
(unless Burley goes glug like BikeE and that is very unlikely). Quetzal makes a good bent (the
semi-bents are still a mystery...they need more time). The Pardisio is a handsome machine (lose the
air-filled seat though as they are notorious for deflating in summer heat) and do you really need
120 speeds and the added weight this brings?

I'd luv to rave about how great the Quetzals are, but they just don't get me all hot and bothered
the way a (simple) Burley Canto does. Simple in a nice way, as in uncomplicated to maintain,
upgradable components, no elaborate air or gas shocks....good solid American "Co-operative" company
unlike Quetzal who is up there in Quebec Canada, no wait I am up there in Canada too, do I go
Nationalistic here? (nope) Buy the Burley. Quetzal ain't a Co-op.

Oh Yeah...talk with Burley owners and see how Burley has treated them and then buy the Burley.
--------------------------------
"Richard Poirier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I presently own a Bike E recumbent and am looking to upgrade. I have looked at the Quetzal
> Paradisio Exotico and the Burley Canto. Can anybody shed some light/thoughts on which would be a
> better purchase?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard P

From the two bikes you just described, I would skip both and look at a RANS Tailwind. If you are an
USS fan look at the Longbikes Slipstream. You didn't mention a price range in your post. That will
affect the search somewhat.

Bobinator wrote:

> From the two bikes you just described, I would skip both and look at a RANS Tailwind....

Or the RANS Rocket. For riders of appropriate size (since both the Rocket and the Tailwind come in
only one frame size) I believe that the Rocket and Tailwind are two of the best all-around
recumbents (independent of price), and among the best, if not the best values considering their
capabilities and price.

Richard,

I can only speak to the Canto's qualities. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine and have found that the guys at Burley are very helpful when I had questions or a problem.

In addition to the Canto, I rode a Trek 'bent for a weekend. Since I liked both the SWB and the LWB, the Canto became a logical choice for me. I can configure the bike however I wish.

Just after I got the bike I encountered a whining chain idler. When I posted that information here and learned that no other Burley owner had encountered that, I emailed the Burley guys. I received an email the next day and a free chain idler in the mail in a matter of a few days after that. That's the kind of service you expect when you spend over a grand on a bike.

If you get the Canto, invest in the speed struts. You won't regret doing so, I promise.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons to recommend other bikes too. All I can say is that that I have been very pleased with my Canto.

Ben

> Oh Yeah...talk with Burley owners and see how Burley has treated them and then buy the Burley.
> --------------------------------
> "Richard Poirier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I presently own a Bike E recumbent and am looking to upgrade. I have looked at the Quetzal
>> Paradisio Exotico and the Burley Canto. Can anybody shed some light/thoughts on which would be a
>> better purchase?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard P

I looked at a Canto tonight for the first time while picking up my Kettwiesel. Very nice looking
bike. Very "finished" looking. Much nicer than the pics make it out to be. IMO

Ben wrote:
> ... Just after I got the bike I encountered a whining chain idler....

Was it complaining about getting dirty from the brand of chain lube you were using?

Tom,

No. Actually, I think it was a dry bearing from the factory. After emailing Burley and learning that they were going to send a replacement, I sprayed a shot of lube into the bearing and it relieved the noise. And the new idler never made the noise.

However, I'm interested. What lube do you recommend. I'm using Ice Wax currently. Have you been pleased with that?

Ben

Originally posted by Tom Sherman
Ben wrote:
> ... Just after I got the bike I encountered a whining chain idler....

Was it complaining about getting dirty from the brand of chain lube you were using?

Where would I look for these machines in Ontario, Canada - around Toronto?
--

Cheers ....................... _ Hunibal _ "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> You do realize the 2 bents are radically different to ride. I have no experience with the Burley
> and limited exposure to the Pardisio (other than the point I used to ride a Peugeot 105
> speed...which was
almost
> the Pardisio). The only real problem with the Quetzal is this, if or more accurately
(when)
> you decide to sell and buy a new bent, the chances of being able to sell
the
> Pardisio are pretty close to nil. Selling the Burley will be soooo much easier and you'll get a
> good price for it (unless Burley goes glug like BikeE and that is very unlikely). Quetzal makes
> a good bent (the semi-bents are still a mystery...they need more time). The Pardisio is a
> handsome machine (lose the air-filled seat though as they are notorious for deflating in summer
> heat) and do you
really
> need 120 speeds and the added weight this brings?
>
> I'd luv to rave about how great the Quetzals are, but they just don't get
me
> all hot and bothered the way a (simple) Burley Canto does. Simple in a
nice
> way, as in uncomplicated to maintain, upgradable components, no elaborate air or gas
> shocks....good solid American "Co-operative" company unlike Quetzal who is up there in Quebec
> Canada, no wait I am up there in Canada too, do I go Nationalistic here? (nope) Buy the Burley.
> Quetzal ain't a Co-op.
>
> Oh Yeah...talk with Burley owners and see how Burley has treated them and then buy the Burley.
> --------------------------------
> "Richard Poirier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I presently own a Bike E recumbent and am looking to upgrade. I have looked at the Quetzal
> > Paradisio Exotico and the Burley Canto. Can anybody shed some light/thoughts on which would be a
> > better purchase?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard P

Hi Richard,

I did have have a BikeE. I then switched to a Burley Canto. I did this after an exhaustive search of bikes that were listed on this list is the "right" bikes to have. Not that I iniaitally thought any were more right than others but I wanted to see what people were raving about.

I rode several that cost more but ended up with the Canto because it felt like the best ride to me. My point in this rambling is ride all the bikes you can...even if you have not considered them. You might be surprised on what you really like.

Derek

Originally posted by Richard Poirier

Ben wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Ben wrote:
> > > ... Just after I got the bike I encountered a whining chain idler....
> > Was it complaining about getting dirty from the brand of chain lube you were using? Tom
> > Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
>
> Tom,
>
> No. Actually, I think it was a dry bearing from the factory. After emailing Burley and learning
> that they were going to send a replacement, I sprayed a shot of lube into the bearing and it
> relieved the noise. And the new idler never made the noise.
>
> However, I'm interested. What lube do you recommend. I'm using Ice Wax currently. Have you been
> pleased with that?

Ben,

I was being facetious. :)

I have been using ProLink, which is not too dirty and appears to provide decent lubrication.

< http://www.progoldmfr.com/products/prolink.html >