Recumbent Cycling shorts do they exist?

basso97

Sep 21, 2004
Went out on my E2 for my first long ride. I thought that seat was
suppose to be comfortable. It was not after 3 hours. With all that
foam you are always supported by the same area of your butt. I have
regular cycling shorts and part of your butt touching the seat extends beyond the
chamme, so there in no absorption of your perspiration in that area,
and I got a rash right where the pad ends.

Are there special shorts for recumbent riders?

Bruce in Texas said:
If you want them they do.
www.kuharik.com
Bruce

I think you meant www.kucharik.com ;-)

I have one of their jerseys, found it on sale - love it!

I'm trying the Mt Borah baggy shorts now, not sure yet if I like the support - may have to try the Kucharik shorts. I think the Kucharik shorts are the only ones with a pad, but I don't know if it would solve your problem.

Can you recline the seat more, to shift some of the weight to your back?

john_hopkins said:
I think you meant www.kucharik.com ;-)
I think the Kucharik shorts are the only ones with a pad, but I don't know if it would solve your problem.

Can you recline the seat more, to shift some of the weight to your back?
I will have to try the kucharik shorts. I am not having a weight problem is is strickly moisture build up and not having a pad where you butt touches the seat. I will be getting jersy too.

Thank for the info.

basso97 said:
Went out on my E2 for my first long ride. I thought that seat was
suppose to be comfortable. It was not after 3 hours. With all that
foam you are always supported by the same area of your butt. I have
regular cycling shorts and part of your butt touching the seat extends beyond the
chamme, so there in no absorption of your perspiration in that area,
and I got a rash right where the pad ends.

Are there special shorts for recumbent riders?
I assume by E2 you mean a BikeE. Sorry to say that shorts of any type will not be of much use. The BikeE seat is notorious for recumbent butt usually around 3 hrs. Shorts designed for recumbent use, have no padding.

These guys have recumbent clothes as well and at really good prices.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/recumbent.htm

Originally Posted by revolveteam .

Low-end recumbents are typically built for comfort and ease of learning, not speed.

Boot Camp Course
No useful input, so you're reduced to quoting someone else's web pages on an unrelated issue? Or was the whole point just to get your sig file/link on the thread?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with 'swamp butt(tm).' I sweat, it evaporates. Padding holds moisture, which I would expect to make the problem worse. The only time I've ever heard of someone complain about it was when they were riding in several days' rain and didn't cover the foam with plastic. If the foam gets wet, it needs to be dried before the next ride. It's not that hard and usually involves taking it off and standing it on its side, on a few layers of newspaper.