Recumbent/DF Bike Racks

g19glock1

New Member
May 24, 2003
As I have not been able to convince my wife (a DF hardcore rider) to convert to a recumbent yet, my Saris bike carrier does not work for my recumbent so when we go somewhere to ride together I have to ride my DF. After this weekends ride of the Musketawa Trail in Michigan, I don't want to ride the DF anymore. I was hurting bad the last 20 miles, and I know that on my V-rex I would have been fine.

To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.

> To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
> and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.

The one I use is highly adaptable to carrying many different bikes from LWBs to DFs. It is made by
Toyota. The model is a Sienna. I understand that Honda also make a good one too. Honda has a new
model called the Element that seems to have promise.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Draftmaster hitch racks will carry whatever you want to carry.

http://www.draftmaster.com/

--
Rob Rudeski Trenton, GA RANS V2

"g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I have not been able to convince my wife (a DF hardcore rider) to convert to a recumbent yet,
> my Saris bike carrier does not work for my recumbent so when we go somewhere to ride together I
> have to ride my DF. After this weekends ride of the Musketawa Trail in Michigan, I don't want to
> ride the DF anymore. I was hurting bad the last 20 miles, and I know that on my V-rex I would have
> been fine.
>
> To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
> and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
>

> --
> G19, Giant and a V-Rex

I have a set of barely-used two SportWorks racks, one for a DF and one for a SWB recumbent with
all the needed connectors and accessories. Both will carry SWB recumbents, though. I bought them
new from Calhoun Cycle. If someone wants to buy the entire package I will sell them for 35% less
than retail, plus UPS. They are heavy so shipping is a factor although I (and anyone else)
obviously had to pay UPS for Calhoun to ship them to me. Also, I live in Gainesville FL, if
someone wants to pick them up.

I now have two GRRs so we put them into the van and do not use the SportWorks racks. They are
superb racks.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Carl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
> > and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
>

> The SportWorks hitch racks can carry either: http://www.bicycleracks.com/stcat.asp
>
> -Carl

A standard Sportsworks 2 bike carrier will carry a V-Rex and a DF. I know because i just carried my
V-Rex and a 50cm Trek 5200 this weekend on one. :)

Cletus Lee wrote:

>>To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
>>and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
>

> The one I use is highly adaptable to carrying many different bikes from LWBs to DFs. It is made by
> Toyota. The model is a Sienna. I understand that Honda also make a good one too. Honda has a new
> model called the Element that seems to have promise.

You are talking about the vans eh! not the racks on the vans. I too have a 04 Sienna and have yet to
carry more than one bike. If you are talking about racks, do you mean the roof or a hitch mount?

Brian

I see no prices on sportwork's website. can you give me a hint as to your asking price? "Robert
Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a set of barely-used two SportWorks racks, one for a DF and one for
> SWB recumbent with all the needed connectors and accessories. Both will carry SWB recumbents,
> though. I bought them new from Calhoun Cycle. If someone wants to buy the entire package I will
> sell them for 35% less than retail, plus UPS. They are heavy so shipping is a factor although I
> (and anyone else) obviously had to pay UPS for Calhoun to ship them to me.
Also,
> I live in Gainesville FL, if someone wants to pick them up.
>
> I now have two GRRs so we put them into the van and do not use the SportWorks racks. They are
> superb racks.
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Carl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a
womans
> > > DF and a recumbent? Any and all comments are welcomed and thank you
for
> > > your time.
> >

> > The SportWorks hitch racks can carry either: http://www.bicycleracks.com/stcat.asp
> >
> > -Carl

> Cletus Lee wrote:
> >
> >>To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
> >>and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
> >

> > The one I use is highly adaptable to carrying many different bikes from LWBs to DFs. It is made
> > by Toyota. The model is a Sienna. I understand that Honda also make a good one too. Honda has a
> > new model called the Element that seems to have promise.
>

> You are talking about the vans eh! not the racks on the vans. I too have a 04 Sienna and have
> yet to carry more than one bike. If you are talking about racks, do you mean the roof or a
> hitch mount?

I am talking about 'a carrier system'. My 2000 Toyota Sienna has carried two bikes nicely. One was a
LWB RANS Stratus with Zzipper fairing. The other, my Lightning Voyager. I can carry one bike and
still keep all the seats in the van.

I have seen as many as 4 DFs in the back of some minivans.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Please check Calhoun cycle online and I'll also dig out my invoices.

There's the "best" fold-up connector bar from the 2" hitch receiver to the racks, some special
plastic easy-release wheel clamps and some other goodies. I will get the info a.s.a.p but I'm in the
middle of getting ready to leave here in a few days for vacation. (I also have the plain vanilla
non-folding connector for the smaller 1 3/8 inch (?) hitch receiver but it was slightly bent by a
parking garage and needs to be straightened. It's about a $30 item.)

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I see no prices on sportwork's website. can you give me a hint as to your asking price? "Robert
> Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have a set of barely-used two SportWorks racks, one for a DF and one
for
> > SWB recumbent with all the needed connectors and accessories. Both will carry SWB recumbents,
> > though. I bought them new from Calhoun Cycle. If someone wants to buy the entire package I will
> > sell them for 35% less
than
> > retail, plus UPS. They are heavy so shipping is a factor although I (and anyone else) obviously
> > had to pay UPS for Calhoun to ship them to me.
> Also,
> > I live in Gainesville FL, if someone wants to pick them up.
> >
> > I now have two GRRs so we put them into the van and do not use the SportWorks racks. They are
> > superb racks.
> >
> > --
> > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Carl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> womans
> for
> > >

> > > The SportWorks hitch racks can carry either: http://www.bicycleracks.com/stcat.asp
> > >
> > > -Carl

My "asking" and "selling" price is identical. ;-)) I will sell the SportWorks racks as a complete
package, everything is included, for exactly 35% less than retail. I paid 100 % of retail to
Calhoun Cycle.

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Please check Calhoun cycle online and I'll also dig out my invoices.
>
> There's the "best" fold-up connector bar from the 2" hitch receiver to the racks, some special
> plastic easy-release wheel clamps and some other goodies. I will get the info a.s.a.p but I'm in
> the middle of getting
ready
> to leave here in a few days for vacation. (I also have the plain vanilla non-folding connector for
> the smaller 1 3/8 inch (?) hitch receiver but it was slightly bent by a parking garage and needs
> to be straightened. It's about a $30 item.)
>
> --
> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I see no prices on sportwork's website. can you give me a hint as to
your
> > asking price? "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I have a set of barely-used two SportWorks racks, one for a DF and one
> for
> > > SWB recumbent with all the needed connectors and accessories. Both
will
> > > carry SWB recumbents, though. I bought them new from Calhoun Cycle.
If
> > > someone wants to buy the entire package I will sell them for 35% less
> than
> > > retail, plus UPS. They are heavy so shipping is a factor although I
(and
> > > anyone else) obviously had to pay UPS for Calhoun to ship them to me.
> > Also,
> > > I live in Gainesville FL, if someone wants to pick them up.
> > >
> > > I now have two GRRs so we put them into the van and do not use the SportWorks racks. They are
> > > superb racks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Carl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > womans
> > for

> To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
> and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
>

> --
> G19, Giant and a V-Rex

I have a Saris receiver bike hitch and It carries my V2 and a DF with no problem. The Saris has
large rubber holders on the arms and the big tube of the V2 sits nicely into them. For long
distances I take off the seat and front wheel but for 10 miles or less, I'll leave both on.

rich

The Saris Cycle-On has clamps and arms that hold the wheels. I put a 45" wheelbase bent on one this
weekend and it worked fine. looks like it could hold one even a foot longer.

It holds two, but you can add a piggy-backer to put on two more...

I ordered one after seeing that the new 'bents would fit on it just fine...

sj

In article <[email protected]>, rich westerman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> To the point: Do you know of a carrier system that will handle a womans DF and a recumbent? Any
>> and all comments are welcomed and thank you for your time.
>>

>> --
>> G19, Giant and a V-Rex
>

>I have a Saris receiver bike hitch and It carries my V2 and a DF with no problem. The Saris has
>large rubber holders on the arms and the big tube of the V2 sits nicely into them. For long
>distances I take off the seat and front wheel but for 10 miles or less, I'll leave both on.

Can you measure what the longest wheelbase would be that it could hold? I have a BikeE (regular
length). Since the racks that will hold a BikeE are not on display in most of the stores, online
ordering makes sense, but I don't want to order one until hearing somebody has actually tested it
with the bike.

I tried a Thule Hitching Post Pro, but the rubber holders for the DF bikes were just a bit too large
to make it easy to put the bike on and off through the little V between the bar and the rear fork,
which is how I mount it on a trunk rack.

I heard a story of somebody saying the BikeE fit on a Hollywood Team Rider. I would be curious about
that because the Team Rider seams to mount to the seat post of a bike, and recumbents don't tend to
have a seat post...

I've heard that the karacks and the draftmaster work, but I was hoping not to spend $300 or more.
The Hollywood can be picked up for about $210.

Or if somebody has tried a cheap two-prong style rack of quality which does not have special
mounting plates for the crossbar in a DF which get in the way of putting on the bikeE, I would be
curious to hear about success in this deparment. Possibly some cheap Graber or Sportsrack would
do the job?
--
The best way to end spam http://www.templetons.com/brad/spam/endspam.html

> >I have a Saris receiver bike hitch and It carries my V2 and a DF with no problem. The Saris has
> >large rubber holders on the arms and the big tube
of
> >the V2 sits nicely into them. For long distances I take off the seat and front wheel but for 10
> >miles or less, I'll leave both on.
>
> Can you measure what the longest wheelbase would be that it could hold? I have a BikeE (regular
> length). Since the racks that will hold a BikeE are not on display in most of the stores, online
> ordering makes sense, but I don't want to order one until hearing somebody has actually tested it
> with the bike.

the wheelbase length isn't of much consequence in this case, since the arms of the rack are the
standard width apart (~18") The wheelbase IS a factor when your car is a compact like mine (Hyundai
Elantra GT) and I have to mount the bike on the rack with more or less equal lengths of wheel
protruding beyond either side of the car. With your BikeE it wouldn't be a problem at all. I had an
RX/XL and it didn't stick out on either side enough to be a problem. But the square frame of the
bikee wouldn't fit into the rubber bike holders like a round tubed bike like my V2, so maybe the
Garber/Saris rack isn't the answer.

I carried my RX on an el-cheapo K-mart trunk rack with no problem, btw. The rack had round tube arms
and they just happened to be the proper dimension to fit into the hole through the swing-arm pivot
of the chain stays on the RX. I just slipped the rack's tubular arm through the RX's pivot arm hole,
pushed the bike up against the rack and hung the front of the bike to the remaining rack arm with a
big cable tie. Most of the time I didn't even use bungee's to secure it since the rack arms tilted
upward, allowing gravity to hold the bike against the rack.

hope this helps

rich

<[email protected]> wrote:
>I carried my RX on an el-cheapo K-mart trunk rack with no problem, btw. The rack had round tube
>arms and they just happened to be the proper dimension to fit into the hole through the swing-arm
>pivot of the chain stays on the RX. I just slipped the rack's tubular arm through the RX's pivot
>arm hole, pushed the bike up against the rack and hung the front of the bike to the remaining rack
>arm with a big cable tie. Most of the time I didn't even use bungee's to secure it since the rack
>arms tilted upward, allowing gravity to hold the bike against the rack.

Right, that is how I carry my BikeE on a trunk rack. One rubberized arm goes through the triangle
formed by the beam, the rear fork and the shock, the beam rests on the other arm, and another bike
keeps it in place.

Now that I am moving to a hitch rack, I find that hitch racks with bare, rubberized prongs and not
common. And ones with tiedowns wont' fit into that triangle. I am going to see if I can make it work
putting each leg of the fork into the tiedown, and then improvising something for the front of the
beam (a nylon strap probably) and then bungee the rim to keep it stable.

The other alternative is the wheel holding racks like the Saris cycle-on, the karacks, the
sportworks transport, and the hollywood team rider which was reported to work though I am not sure
how. The Saris looks like it would work if it can handle the wheelbase of the bent.

--
Tour Greece, Turkey and the Black Sea in my photojournals
http://www.templetons.com/brad/photo/europe/