recumbent for a 7 & 5 year old?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jason, Apr 20, 2003.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
    looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
    that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.

    I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats why
    I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!

    Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

    Tags:

  2. "jason" skrev...
    > My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
    > looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
    > that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
    >
    > I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
    > why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!

    Well you could get two Hase Kettwiesels and hitch them together with the optional tandemcoupling.

    Pros: They arent going to fall over. The trikes can be used separately when they get bigger. They
    can be adjusted to people of heights from 3 feet 7 to 6 feet 7 so they can grow with your kids.

    Cons: Somewhat unwieldy. Expensive to buy. Might be too heavy for two small kids depending
    on terrain.

    Theres also the Hase Pino. Its a combination of an upright/recumbent tandem With a range of 5 to 6.5
    feet. Or 3.3 to 5 feet with a special bracket. (dunno what or where that bracket goes but they
    usually answer questions)

    http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/content_e/index.htm

    Hostel Shoppe sells the Kettwiesel I know.

    Regards Mikael

  3. "Mikael Seierup" skrev
    > Theres also the Hase Pino. Its a combination of an upright/recumbent tandem With a range of 5 to
    > 6.5 feet. Or 3.3 to 5 feet with a special bracket. (dunno what or where that bracket goes but they
    > usually answer questions)
    >
    > http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/content_e/index.htm

    Ah it goes on the boom on the recumbent front seat. You can see it in the pictures section under the
    Pino model.

    Looks pretty neat.

    Mikael

  4. Suppose you could email "Nirvana Recumbents" at www.kidzbents.com and see if they could put a bent
    tandem together for you. I mean setting up a bent company that does nothing except design and build
    bents for little kids would be the natural/logical people to contact and if they are worth their
    weight they'd know who will have what you need. Have not been to their site in a coons age, but I
    seem to remember the line that they'll do special designs and modify their kidz bent...so a tandem
    might be possible.
    -------------------------------------

    "jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
    > looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
    > that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
    >
    > I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
    > why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!
    >
    > Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

  5. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    So many of us actually started bicycling (tricycling) on recumbents going 'round and 'round the driveway.
    :)

    p.s. you might buy a second dual recumbent tandem, or new bike and add a tag-along?

  6. Jason

    Jason Guest

    > So many of us actually started bicycling (tricycling) on recumbents going 'round and 'round the
    > driveway.
    > :)

    hehe, thats right! I guess I'm looking for a tandem bike for 5-10 year olds, Recumbent or not. These
    guys don't want to tag along, they want to ride. But the 5 year old isn't fast enough yet. The older
    one is... But both together, they'd be fine. Right now the 5 year old gets left behind and we have
    to wait for him. He doesn't want to trail behind on my bike -- but I think taking the back of a
    'kids tandem', with his older brother in the front, he would enjoy.

    Oh well just a dream. Rgds Jason Shohet

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 21 Apr 2003 12:37:40 -0700, [email protected] (jason) wrote:

    >hehe, thats right! I guess I'm looking for a tandem bike for 5-10 year olds, Recumbent or not.

    Heh! We went the whole hog: http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Okiemoose

    Okiemoose Guest

    How about:

    http://www.terracycle.com/lbike.htm

    It's not a tandem, but it is a 'bent for small riders.

    "jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
    > looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
    > that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
    >
    > I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
    > why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!
    >
    > Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

  9. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Jason,
    I was thinking that you could ride Captain on the recumbent tandem with your 5 year-old as stoker, and your Wife on the other tandem with the 7 year-old. And of course switch off regularly... or maybe have to let her ride the 'Bent the whole [email protected] time... :)

  10. Don

    Don Guest

    http://www.kidzbent.com/ correction to link posted above. Looks like a fun bike. I also saw some
    great looking kids bents (DIY) on the Wisconsin riders pages. Made me wish I wasn't so damn tall.

  11. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

    I had an existing page on my web site for kid's recumbents, and updated it to reflect additional
    information and links provided by various people in this thread:

    http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/ForKids.htm

    --
    Greg Dunn www.BicycleCommuter.com

  12. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:34:21 GMT, "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I had an existing page on my web site for kid's recumbents, and updated it to reflect additional
    >information and links provided by various people in this thread:
    >
    > http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/ForKids.htm

    Great Info!

    For recumbent bikes adustable for a wide range of rider heights, one might also consider BikeE. Yes,
    they are out of production, but they are widely available used and relatively cheap. I've seen kids
    as young as 7 years old ride BikeEs.

    Jon Meinecke

  13. Smitty

    Smitty Guest

  14. Excellent page! Come to think of it, I haven't seen ANY kids recumbents (and I live across the
    street from a bike path).

    One thing I have seen (one or two) is a heavily chromed lowrider-trike.

    Kids and commuting? Yes! Sure!! Have to strike out at Monster Garage, American Chopper,
    Extreme Engineering, etc., not to mention heroes of the traffic jam (Discovery/Time)
    television shows.

    Never to young to learn what *style* is! Bring a little class and happiness into a young life.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I had an existing page on my web site for kid's recumbents, and updated it to reflect additional
    > information and links provided by various people in this thread:
    >
    > http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/ForKids.htm

  15. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

  16. Al Kubeluis

    Al Kubeluis Guest

  17. "Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Wonderful bents. Bet these kids are happy.

    Maja is (this one : http://www.hpv-klub.dk/selvbygger/juniorHPV/default.asp) - and very proud I can
    add. But coaster brake isn't the best solution - it needs a hand operated brake to avoid rolling
    backwards, when stopping uphill.

    Donation in form of a ISO 305 front wheel is welcome - that way it will be useful until she outgrows
    her mother ;-) (it's a 203 wheel mounted now, but the fork is made for a 305).

    Torben

  18. Greg Dunn

    Greg Dunn Guest

  19. Greg Dunn