recumbent for a 7 & 5 year old?

Jason

Guest
My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.

I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats why
I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!

Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

"jason" skrev...
> My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
> looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
> that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
>
> I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
> why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!

Well you could get two Hase Kettwiesels and hitch them together with the optional tandemcoupling.

Pros: They arent going to fall over. The trikes can be used separately when they get bigger. They
can be adjusted to people of heights from 3 feet 7 to 6 feet 7 so they can grow with your kids.

Cons: Somewhat unwieldy. Expensive to buy. Might be too heavy for two small kids depending
on terrain.

Theres also the Hase Pino. Its a combination of an upright/recumbent tandem With a range of 5 to 6.5
feet. Or 3.3 to 5 feet with a special bracket. (dunno what or where that bracket goes but they
usually answer questions)

http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/content_e/index.htm

Hostel Shoppe sells the Kettwiesel I know.

Regards Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" skrev
> Theres also the Hase Pino. Its a combination of an upright/recumbent tandem With a range of 5 to
> 6.5 feet. Or 3.3 to 5 feet with a special bracket. (dunno what or where that bracket goes but they
> usually answer questions)
>
> http://www.hase-spezialraeder.de/content_e/index.htm

Ah it goes on the boom on the recumbent front seat. You can see it in the pictures section under the
Pino model.

Looks pretty neat.

Mikael

Suppose you could email "Nirvana Recumbents" at www.kidzbents.com and see if they could put a bent
tandem together for you. I mean setting up a bent company that does nothing except design and build
bents for little kids would be the natural/logical people to contact and if they are worth their
weight they'd know who will have what you need. Have not been to their site in a coons age, but I
seem to remember the line that they'll do special designs and modify their kidz bent...so a tandem
might be possible.
-------------------------------------

"jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
> looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
> that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
>
> I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
> why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!
>
> Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

So many of us actually started bicycling (tricycling) on recumbents going 'round and 'round the driveway.
:)

p.s. you might buy a second dual recumbent tandem, or new bike and add a tag-along?

Originally posted by Jason
My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.

I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats why
I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!

Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

> So many of us actually started bicycling (tricycling) on recumbents going 'round and 'round the
> driveway.
> :)

hehe, thats right! I guess I'm looking for a tandem bike for 5-10 year olds, Recumbent or not. These
guys don't want to tag along, they want to ride. But the 5 year old isn't fast enough yet. The older
one is... But both together, they'd be fine. Right now the 5 year old gets left behind and we have
to wait for him. He doesn't want to trail behind on my bike -- but I think taking the back of a
'kids tandem', with his older brother in the front, he would enjoy.

Oh well just a dream. Rgds Jason Shohet

On 21 Apr 2003 12:37:40 -0700, [email protected] (jason) wrote:

>hehe, thats right! I guess I'm looking for a tandem bike for 5-10 year olds, Recumbent or not.

Heh! We went the whole hog: http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

How about:

http://www.terracycle.com/lbike.htm

It's not a tandem, but it is a 'bent for small riders.

"jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My kids are dying to bike with my wife and myself. We have a traditional Canondale tandem... I'm
> looking for something that the 7 & 5 year old can use together (since the 5-year old is slower) --
> that would let them bike with us on flat roads / trails.
>
> I'm not excited about hitching them to the back of our Canondale... might be too unwieldy. Thats
> why I was hoping for a tandem / recumbent bike for smaller folk!
>
> Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

Jason,
I was thinking that you could ride Captain on the recumbent tandem with your 5 year-old as stoker, and your Wife on the other tandem with the 7 year-old. And of course switch off regularly... or maybe have to let her ride the 'Bent the whole d@mn time... :)

Originally posted by Just Zis Guy
On 21 Apr 2003 12:37:40 -0700, [email protected] (jason) wrote:

>hehe, thats right! I guess I'm looking for a tandem bike for 5-10 year olds, Recumbent or not.

Heh! We went the whole hog: http://www.chapmancentral.com/Web/public.nsf/Documents/me-n-u2

http://www.kidzbent.com/ correction to link posted above. Looks like a fun bike. I also saw some
great looking kids bents (DIY) on the Wisconsin riders pages. Made me wish I wasn't so damn tall.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:34:21 GMT, "Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had an existing page on my web site for kid's recumbents, and updated it to reflect additional
>information and links provided by various people in this thread:
>
> http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/ForKids.htm

Great Info!

For recumbent bikes adustable for a wide range of rider heights, one might also consider BikeE. Yes,
they are out of production, but they are widely available used and relatively cheap. I've seen kids
as young as 7 years old ride BikeEs.

Jon Meinecke

Excellent page! Come to think of it, I haven't seen ANY kids recumbents (and I live across the
street from a bike path).

One thing I have seen (one or two) is a heavily chromed lowrider-trike.

Kids and commuting? Yes! Sure!! Have to strike out at Monster Garage, American Chopper,
Extreme Engineering, etc., not to mention heroes of the traffic jam (Discovery/Time)
television shows.

Never to young to learn what *style* is! Bring a little class and happiness into a young life.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

"Greg Dunn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<1oypa.318115$OV.353726@rwcrnsc54>...
> I had an existing page on my web site for kid's recumbents, and updated it to reflect additional
> information and links provided by various people in this thread:
>
> http://www.bicyclecommuter.com/ForKids.htm

"Al Kubeluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Wonderful bents. Bet these kids are happy.

Maja is (this one : http://www.hpv-klub.dk/selvbygger/juniorHPV/default.asp) - and very proud I can
add. But coaster brake isn't the best solution - it needs a hand operated brake to avoid rolling
backwards, when stopping uphill.

Donation in form of a ISO 305 front wheel is welcome - that way it will be useful until she outgrows
her mother ;-) (it's a 203 wheel mounted now, but the fork is made for a 305).

Torben