Recumbent Hill Climbing ??

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am always amazed when people are more interested in me than I am in them, even to the point of
> wanting to know where someone lives - for Heaven's sake!

Sorry Ed, I would'nt bother to look you up. Last March you sent me an e-mail that began with:

>I am from Worthington down in the southwestern corner of the state. Do not take my posts too
>seriously. I like to get everyone all riled up just to
create a
>little excitement on an other wise quite dull usenet
group..............................

Perhaps you forgot.

Perry B

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> On 12 Jan 2004 12:48:10 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Uhm, this is simply an assertion without any facts or logic to back it up. The sort of thing
> >> one might expect to see on Indymedia. In other words, it reeks of ideology.
> >>
> >> But whatever, eh? Listen to novices if that's what turns you on. It's a free country, and a
> >> matter of almost infinitesimal import.
> >
> >I do not know why you are taking my posts apart paragraph by paragraph when you could just have
> >easily responded to them in toto all in one post. I am not going to bother to follow your lead as
> >it just creates needless confusion and redundancy. Besides which, you are not making any
> >worthwhile points anyway.
>
> Yeah you're right. Novices always know better than experts. Good thinking. Sorry about the
> confusion.

I can not be wasting my time with an idiot who does not even know how to post nor how to edit
someone else's post. Trying to follow you is nothing but confusion. And you claim to be some kind of
expert! What a laugh that is!

> >Most of the time what I am saying does not require any "facts" as I am merely stating a common
> >observation. I am always perfectly logical, but one man's logic is another man's total confusion.
> >There is no ideology connected with cycling for heaven's sake! Let us reserve that term for
> >political posts.
>
> An ideology is a belief system that's just short of a religious attitude in that logic plays a
> minimal role. And that fairly represents the "common observation" (common to a single individual,
> which is an idiosyncratic definition of the term) that folks who know nothing about a topic tend
> to know more than those who have some experience and knowledge to go on. But whatever, call it a
> religious attitude if you like. What it's *not* is wisdom or sense.

It is very valuable to pay attention to what novices and newbies have to say about recumbents. If
you don't, that is because you are a know it all idiot. And an arrogant idiot at that! They are the
worst kind of idiots because they always think they know more than they do. This newsgroup is
replete with these types and so of course you feel right at home here.

> And I'm not saying any of this with any particular animus toward you. But it's hard to imagine us
> getting anywhere if "common" means idiosyncratic, and "perfectly logical" means without a shred of
> reason or coherence.

So says you and so says I not! Get out a dictionary and look up the most common meanings of the
words that you feel you have to define for all our benefit. But I especially like that part about
no animus.

> Now, here's a fellow who is genuinely physically and mentally challenged by an awful affliction,
> but manages to say something profoundly insightful about it. Then again he has actual experience,
> so you'll probably think his observations aren't worth diddly.

Pure gobbledygook! Freewheeling doesn't know whether he is coming or going. Since you are a simple
man, I suggest you confine yourself to simple language and not attempt artful constructions.

> http://www.wallofsleep.com/

I have learned from previous experience from dealing with nuts and screwballs not to bother with
their references. It is a total waste of my time.

> >I will take a novice over an "expert" like you any day when I want to know what the general
> >reaction is to recumbent bicycles.
>
> Whatever. The point is that "general reaction to recumbent bicycles" wasn't the topic.

You select your topics and I select my topics. And apparently, never the twain shall meet.

> >You are hard core. I am not interested in your views because of that fact alone. But you might at
> >least have the good sense to realize that you are hard core and that much of what you have to say
> >to the novice and the newbie is therefore crackpot and just plain bum advice.
>
> My advice is "crackpot and just plain bum" because I care about the topic, and have some (modest)
> experience? By inference, you ought to be intensely interested in my thoughts and observations
> about mountain climbing or stock car racing, since I have no experience at all in those endeavors.

You are unable to distinguish between hard core and soft core (experienced recumbent riders vs
inexperienced recumbent riders). That is because you are not able to make distinctions period. It is
all one to you. I have made the distinctions clearly enough so that even an idiot would know what I
am talking about. Draw your own conclusions. But you are obduracy incarnate.

> >Yes, it certainly is a free country and everyone in it can read what you have to say about
> >recumbents and they can read what I have to say about recumbents and then they can choose whom to
> >believe. Does any of this matter in the grand scheme of things. Of course not! But in the grand
> >scheme of things, nothing matters - not you, not me, not even
> >Mr. Sherman!
>
> Who said anything about the "grand scheme of things?"

too severely. No one will know what we are talking about except you and me.

> Look, I don't know what your problem is but you seem extraordinarily emotionally animated about
> people with expertise, insight, or passion. The fallacies are so obvious, however, that there's
> little danger you'd lead anyone astray. And that's really why it matters very little. Do what you
> like, but don't expect immunity when you challenge people based on your "common" observations.

I see you have taken a leaf from my own book in how to compliment yourself. Unfortunately, there is
no justification in your case. As far as I am concerned you have no expertise, no insight and your
passion leaves me cold. All your blather about facts, logic and fallacies begins and ends in your
own head. You do not even know how to read simple English let alone know how to think about anything
requiring any depth. As long as you confine yourself to what you think you know you will find plenty
of other idiots to agree with you. But you have shown all of us how you are when you encounter ideas
that don't fit your preconceived conceptions. You fit my very definition of an ideologue.

I will continue to challenge one and all whenever the spirit so moves me. I only wish I could make
some sense out of those who wish to take issue with me on a subject instead of having to constantly
respond in kind to know it alls like you who take offense at the slightest disagreement. May you
choke on your bile!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> On 12 Jan 2004 14:48:47 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >You are a funny fellow Freewheeling! I have all the expertise I need in hill climbing to know
> >that I do not like it at all.
>
> Fair enough. But since I have absolutely no direct experience of your expertise, I feel 100%
> competent to question that observation. In my opinion you *do* like hill climbing, and since I
> have less experience than you, you'll just have to reconsider what you think you know about what
> you like and don't like. QED.
>
> >I am also perfectly within my rights to regard anyone who does like to hill climb on a recumbent
> >as an idiot. So, you like to hill climb on a recumbent. So, I think you are an idiot. What is
> >there about that you do not understand?
>
> Me, obviously. But that makes you an expert.

YOU like to climb hills on a recumbent. I think you are an idiot for liking to do that. That doesn't
mean that you are an idiot, it just means that I think you are an idiot. What is there you do not
understand about the English language. A proper response from you would have been that YOU think I
am an idiot for not liking to climb hills on a recumbent. I would have no problem with that because
that it just what YOU think. It doesn't mean I am an idiot. Please get yourself some self esteem and
confidence in your own opinions.

> >And more importantly, why is it that I never know what the hell you are talking about anyway?
>
> Clearly, you have too much experience. It's getting in the way.

Best leave the wit to those who have it. Yours is forced and that is always deadly.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "Ed Dolan" skrev...
> > >I am also perfectly within my rights to regard anyone who does like to hill climb on a
> > >recumbent as an idiot. So, you like to hill climb on a recumbent. So, I think you are an idiot.
> > >What is there about that you do not understand?
>
> Well I'm with Ed on this one though not for quite the same reason. Anyone who tries to reason with
> Mr. Dolan is an idiot. ;o) Just killfile him like everyone else and be done with it. (Or don't
> quote him in your replies.)
>
> Mikael

Poor Mikael of Copenhagen! He doesn't even want you quoting me in a response as having to read me is
just too upsetting to this wimp from Denmark. He can join Cletus and innumerable others on this
newsgroup who are into being ostriches full time.

Mikael, besides being an ostrich, is also a dummkopf in as much as his posts never amount to a hill
of beans. It is all repartee with him and the worst of it is that he thinks he is a wit. God save us
from those types!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]

> On 15 Jan 2004 11:00:07 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> >Speed is not my thing; conditioning is not my thing. My only thing is enjoyment and neither of
> >the two fore mentioned things have anything to do with that. Riding a recumbent is just plain
> >enjoyable. You don't need speed and you don't need conditioning - unless you are headed for the
> >hills of course at which point conditioning might come in handy.
> >
> >Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> Well, I subscribe to that... I think. ****, conditioning is your thing, or enjoyment? Please
> elucidate. http://www.demosophia.com

Well, I think if I were going to be doing a lot of cycling in the hills I would want to improve my
conditioning somewhat since hills on a recumbent are murder. But since I do my best to stay the hell
away from hills, I do not feel the need to attempt any conditioning other than what is minimally
necessary for the enjoyment of cycling on the flats. Like all true Americans, I hate exercise. Hell,
I even hate the thought of it, much less ever doing any of it. I cycle strictly for the fun of it.

I hope the elucidation meets with your approval.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota.

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> On 12 Jan 2004 23:33:20 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >I don't want such a person to become experienced as he will then no longer have a pristine
> >impression of a recumbent as it compares to an upright.
>
> Look, you seem to be talking about the notion of "bias" but are so confused you're getting it
> mixed up with competence and familiarity.
>
> http://www.demosophia.com

Just keep reading my sentence above over and over until it has thoroughly soaked into your addled
brain. Then get back to me once you have got it. You might want to look up the dictionary definition
of "experienced" while you are at it. The only biased **** here is yourself.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Freewheeling wrote:
>
> > ... Look, I don't know what your [Mr. Edward Dolan] problem is but you seem
> > extraordinarily emotionally animated about people with expertise, insight, or passion....
>
> Mr. Dolan enjoys annoying and insulting people. I believe he finds great joy in using the
> expression "extremist wacko nut" to describe anyone who disagrees [1] with him.

I only use the above expression when referring to liberal extremists, and always just in a political
context. I am thinking of resurrecting an old child hood expression for all the recumbent experts to
be found here on ARBR. It is "know it alls". But no matter what expressions I use they are always
apt and suited for the occasion.

> [1] Quite a few people, since Mr. Dolan can be rather disagreeable when he puts his mind to it.

Who me? Disagreeable? I just respond in kind. Be pleasant and I will be pleasant. Be unpleasant and
I will be unpleasant. It is all *** for tat.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
berlin.de>... [...]

> Mr. Dolan can be rather entertaining when he is in his "rabid frothing at the mouth mode". He is
> to political discussion what Fabrizio Mazzoleni is to professional bicycle racing - humorous
> at times, but not to be taken seriously.

It is the liberal extremist left wing wacko nuts that are not to be taken seriously. They have now
become absurd. They have already thrown away this 2004 election thinking no doubt that their big
chance will come in 2008. But they are badly mistaken as they are permanently blowing their chances
for the next generation by all their idiocies in the here and now. They have become a laughing stock
and are now on the level of McGovern and Mondale, two other idiotic Dem candidacies.

Mr. Sherman regards himself as wisdom personified when it comes to politics, but why are his ideas
constantly being rejected and ridiculed by the electorate? Unfortunately for him, his views are
not even entertaining. They are just plain loony!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I am always amazed when people are more interested in me than I am in them, even to the point of
> > wanting to know where someone lives - for Heaven's sake!
>
> Sorry Ed, I would'nt bother to look you up. Last March you sent me an e-mail that began with:
>
> >I am from Worthington down in the southwestern corner of the state. Do not take my posts too
> >seriously. I like to get everyone all riled up just to
> create a
> >little excitement on an other wise quite dull usenet
> group..............................
>
> Perhaps you forgot.
>
> Perry B

Yes, now that you mention it I do recall. I believe it is part of newsgroup etiquette though never
to post anything said via email without asking permission to do so first. However, it is OK. I am
not offended. I do not mind in the least what a universe of strangers might want to know about me. I
am not sensitive that way.

Apparently you had a good trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. How you managed to do that trip in
such a short period of time amazes me. I would have had to spend at least a week doing what you did.
But the fact is, I couldn't have done it. That road up to the Beartooth Plateau from Red Lodge is a
killer. I would have had to walk almost all of it.

I think the Beartooth Plateau is one of the most beautiful areas on the face of the earth. It is the
grandest entrance to Yellowstone by far. I wonder how you found those rather narrow congested roads
in the parks for cycling. I know the traffic is slow, but I always like to have a bit of a shoulder.
But since you survived it I am assuming that all was well that ended well.

Best regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > ... ... I don't think aerodynamics is much of a consideration for any type of bicycle
> > going uphill....
>
> There is where you are wrong. Run the numbers in a mathematical model to see that aerodynamics is
> clearly a factor at higher rider output levels on most grades that will ever be encountered on
> paved roads. Or ride a bike such as a Lightning P-38/F-40 with and without the fairing. On all but
> the steepest grades, the extra 8 pounds of fairing weight makes the bike a faster climber with the
> same rider. The effect is smaller, but still noticeable comparing an unfaired RANS Tailwind with
> one that has a bodysock.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

You are no doubt right about this, but I still think in the real world of less than super fast
athletes that aerodynamics will not be much of a factor for us ordinary mortals going up hill. My
average uphill speed on a hill of 6% grade will be about 4 to 5 miles per hour. Not fast enough for
aerodynamics to have any impact.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...

> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:57:44 +0100, "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >"Ed Dolan" skrev...
> > >
> > >Well I'm with Ed on this one though not for quite the same reason. Anyone who tries to reason
> > >with Mr. Dolan is an idiot. ;o) Just killfile him like everyone else and be done with it. (Or
> > >don't quote him in your replies.)
> > >
> > >Mikael
> > >

> > Mikael:
> >
> > I'm an idiot. QED
> >
> > But hey, it's fun. Like having athlete's foot.
>
> With Ed Dolan it is more like Jock itch.

Cletus and Mikael! What a combination! Are there those on this newsgroup who actually enjoy this
kind of moronic repartee. Apparently so since there is a fair amount of it. Well, fools will be
fools and we have to suffer them I guess. But what gets me is that both these birds have kill filed
me so what the heck are they responding to anyway. Have you ever heard of anything so cowardly as to
be be making derogatory comments about someone and then not being open for a response? ARBR is not
all it is cracked up to be - that is for sure!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]

> On 12 Jan 2004 12:48:10 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> >Most of the time what I am saying does not require any "facts" as I am merely stating a common
> >observation. I am always perfectly logical, but one man's logic is another man's total confusion.
> >There is no ideology connected with cycling for heaven's sake! Let us reserve that term for
> >political posts.
>
> An ideology is a belief system that's just short of a religious attitude in that logic plays a
> minimal role. And that fairly represents the "common observation" (common to a single individual,
> which is an idiosyncratic definition of the term) that folks who know nothing about a topic tend
> to know more than those who have some experience and knowledge to go on. But whatever, call it a
> religious attitude if you like. What it's *not* is wisdom or sense.

I am going to give your statement above on ideology a bit more attention as I think you are being
serious, and I do respect seriousness.

I was a sucker for ideology for most of my youth. Once you embrace the assumptions of an ideology,
everything else follows and it always appears that it is logical. The assumptions are always the
problem, not the logic. Even so, I do not worship at the altar of logic. Until science came into the
world logic was more often wrong than right. I do agree with you that ideology is like religion.

I have arrived at the point in my life now where I abhor ideology. It is a curse on the mind of man
as bad as religion, but it is even worse as it is utopian in this world whereas religion is utopian
only in the next world. We see the operation of ideology best in the political realm. Sometimes I
think a bit of ideology is inescapable. We need it as a guide. But we must always check our ideology
with the real world of facts and events. My main argument with the liberal extremists is that they
are not checking their ideology with reality.

My "common observation" comment was meant in an everyday practical sense. I think that can be fairly
applied to the relative simplicities of recumbents and cycling. As the level of abstraction grows,
then of course "common observations" can often be quite wrong.

I am surely not arguing that inexperience trumps experience, but merely that it can be a very
valuable tool by which to evaluate something. I have learned a lot about recumbents by talking to
relatively inexperienced riders as opposed to very experienced riders like you and me. It is
almost as if the two extremes compliment one another. The experts really do not have all the
answers that matter.

A strongly held opinion based on one's personal experience does not constitute ideology. The reason
I am offering my somewhat idiosyncratic experience to this newsgroup is because it is rare here, and
it is actually quite common in the real world of which I have experience. Experts like you need to
be made aware of the kind of reality that exists for newbies and non-athletes like me. You would not
listen to me at all if I did not directly challenge you. Believe me, I am more than aware of what
all the athletic types and those who think speed is important are saying on this newsgroup, but I do
not think it will hurt any if you hear from the other side. I have seen and discussed with literally
hundreds of recumbent cyclists their woes in connection with hill climbing. I am with them on that.

I certainly do agree with you that ideology is not wisdom nor is it sense. I try to keep as far away
from ideology as I can get, but it is not possible for man to escape ideology altogether. For the
common man, ideology most often takes the form of religion. For the non-religious intellectual it
can be just about anything at all - and it is invariably a thousand times worse than any religion.
Man learns but slowly and with great difficulty. Our proper attitude toward knowledge and learning
should always be one of humility.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:13:33 -0600, Cletus Lee <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You might want to talk 'apples to apples'. True the _average_ bent is 10 lbs heavier than the
>_lightest_ DF. But you can find 'bents that can compete ounce for ounce and I would guess that
>there are more heavy DF sold that heavy 'bents. So without any statistics to back me up, the true
>statement is that the _average_ bent is probably lighter than the _average_ DF.

Cletus:

I'm pretty skeptical of that. I have a DF and a 'bent that are both fairly typical (a V-Rex and a
Bianchi Boardwalk) and the V-Rex is significantly heavier (ignoring the Rohloff, which adds over a
lb). As you say, with no stats to back you up it's not very empirical. The primary difference
between 'bents and DFs is the seat, of course, and the handlebar assembly. I don't think the frame
itself is that much heavier although it is, a bit.

http://www.demosophia.com

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:55:57 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rowing a small watercraft instead of using screw driven pedals is like riding an upright bicycle in
>windy conditions instead of a lowracer. There may well be valid reasons for doing it (primarily to
>eliminate performance differences due to equipment), but it is hardly a sensible choice from an
>efficiency perspective.
>
>Please note that the premise of my argument was what the "TRUE HPV PERSON" would do. By definition,
>this person is interested in furthering the technological aspects of the human powered activity,
>not trying to impress others with personal physical achievements. Brains over brawn, so to speak.

The primary motivation here, for me, is that cycling leaves the upper body moribund. There are lots
of things I could do to fill this void, but rowing is one of the better ones. And since Concept 2
has more or less standardized indoor rowing competition I can compare my results to those of others
to see how well I'm doing. I haven't graduated to rowing on water, because I primarily cycle when
the weather's decent. And since I'm not that interested in sweep rowing anyway, sculling is about
all I'd be interested in. I may get around to it one day. I did some sweep rowing in a four-man
shell in high school, a zillion years ago.

But again, about the last thing I want to do is let my upper body just waste away. (Not that it
isn't getting rounder with each passing year, anyway.)

http://www.demosophia.com

On 15 Jan 2004 22:08:23 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>YOU like to climb hills on a recumbent. I think you are an idiot for liking to do that. That
>doesn't mean that you are an idiot, it just means that I think you are an idiot. What is there you
>do not understand about the English language.

My head, she hurts!

http://www.demosophia.com

On 15 Jan 2004 22:48:33 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>They have become a laughing stock and are now on the level of McGovern and Mondale, two other
>idiotic Dem candidacies.

More like the "Copperheads" who backed George B. McClellan in 1864.

http://www.demosophia.com

On 15 Jan 2004 21:55:47 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>> Look, you seem to be talking about the notion of "bias" but are so confused you're getting it
>> mixed up with competence and familiarity.
>>
>> http://www.demosophia.com
>
>Just keep reading my sentence above over and over until it has thoroughly soaked into your addled
>brain. Then get back to me once you have got it. You might want to look up the dictionary
>definition of "experienced" while you are at it. The only biased **** here is yourself.

Sorry, that makes absolutely no sense at all. Seriously, I wasn't even accusing *you* of being
biased. I was saying you don't know the difference between bias and experience or competence.
Which is obviously true, unless you can show me some definition of experience that implies it's a
synonym for bias.

Life is so much more enjoyable when it makes sense.

http://www.demosophia.com

On 16 Jan 2004 01:07:32 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>I am going to give your statement above on ideology a bit more attention as I think you are being
>serious, and I do respect seriousness.
>
>I was a sucker for ideology for most of my youth. Once you embrace the assumptions of an ideology,
>everything else follows and it always appears that it is logical. The assumptions are always the
>problem, not the logic. Even so, I do not worship at the altar of logic. Until science came into
>the world logic was more often wrong than right. I do agree with you that ideology is like
>religion.

Slightly easier to eradicate bad ideologies than bad religions.

>I have arrived at the point in my life now where I abhor ideology. It is a curse on the mind of man
>as bad as religion, but it is even worse as it is utopian in this world whereas religion is utopian
>only in the next world. We see the operation of ideology best in the political realm. Sometimes I
>think a bit of ideology is inescapable. We need it as a guide. But we must always check our
>ideology with the real world of facts and events. My main argument with the liberal extremists is
>that they are not checking their ideology with reality.
>
>My "common observation" comment was meant in an everyday practical sense. I think that can be
>fairly applied to the relative simplicities of recumbents and cycling. As the level of abstraction
>grows, then of course "common observations" can often be quite wrong.

Common as in "ignorant," or common as in "widespread?" You are exceedingly close to the "ignorance
is wisdom" p.o.v. Someone who is ignorant (without experience or expertise) could provide a control
to adjust for bias, but the problem is that they don't know anything so it's not clear whether their
opinion is unbiased or simply unknowledgable. If the thing you're looking at doesn't require much
experience there's not a big problem, but we're talking here about a fairly subtle phenomenon: the
development of new muscle sets. What experienced people can provide are subjective assessments that
are informed by experience (i.e. they see different muscles getting larger and harder, and notice
also that they climb faster), but for a strictly unbiased perspective you could probably consult a
non-rider who is also a physical therapist. I don't see how your average Joe, with no particular
medical or physiological expertise, would be any help at all. They may, indeed, be unbiased... but
they're also ignorant.

>I am surely not arguing that inexperience trumps experience, but merely that it can be a very
>valuable tool by which to evaluate something.

Again, only if the person consulted has some *other* relevant expertise.

>I have learned a lot about recumbents by talking to relatively inexperienced riders as opposed to
>very experienced riders like you and me. It is almost as if the two extremes compliment one
>another. The experts really do not have all the answers that matter.

About the only thing I've learned from non-recumbent riders are a set of "ignorant biases" that are
informed not so much by their inexperience with recumbents as by their experience and indoctrination
in the DF or racing world.

But learning that stuff hasn't been of much value to me, except in the sense that they tend to look
down on recumbent cyclists who are indoctrinated by *their* preference. But getting past all that is
a matter of wisdom, not cultivating ignorance.

>A strongly held opinion based on one's personal experience does not constitute ideology. The reason
>I am offering my somewhat idiosyncratic experience to this newsgroup is because it is rare here,
>and it is actually quite common in the real world of which I have experience. Experts like you need
>to be made aware of the kind of reality that exists for newbies and non-athletes like me. You would
>not listen to me at all if I did not directly challenge you. Believe me, I am more than aware of
>what all the athletic types and those who think speed is important are saying on this newsgroup,
>but I do not think it will hurt any if you hear from the other side. I have seen and discussed with
>literally hundreds of recumbent cyclists their woes in connection with hill climbing. I am with
>them on that.

Can you see that it's not highly valued, because it's not particularly rigorous?

>I certainly do agree with you that ideology is not wisdom nor is it sense. I try to keep as far
>away from ideology as I can get, but it is not possible for man to escape ideology altogether. For
>the common man, ideology most often takes the form of religion. For the non-religious intellectual
>it can be just about anything at all - and it is invariably a thousand times worse than any
>religion. Man learns but slowly and with great difficulty. Our proper attitude toward knowledge and
>learning should always be one of humility.

Actually the worst situation seems to be the marriage of ideology and religion.

This is currently a hot topic on the internet. Steven Den Beste is a good place to start.

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2004/01/Threewaystruggle.shtml

and

http://denbeste.nu/cd_log_entries/2004/01/TeleologyandSolipsism.shtml

I have a response, here:

http://www.demosophia.com/2004/01/den_bestes_thre.html

(and it's something of a recurring topic on by blog)

There's a great discussion of Qutbism, and whether it's a genuine sect of Islam or an apostasy
on Ideofact:

http://www.ideofact.com/archives/000169.html

I think what you're talking about is something like the "fresh eyes" that foreigners like
Tocqueville and Gunnar Myrdal brought to the US as "outsiders." But bear in mind that these people
were wellsprings of experience and knowledge before they ever walked on our shores to see us anew.
Ignorance is, in general, not a virtue. It's the primary reason why we're so badly misunderstood in
Europe and the Middle East, after all.

http://www.demosophia.com

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> On 15 Jan 2004 22:48:33 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> >They have become a laughing stock and are now on the level of McGovern and Mondale, two other
> >idiotic Dem candidacies.
>
> More like the "Copperheads" who backed George B. McClellan in 1864.
>

> http://www.demosophia.com

Only a civil war buff will know what you are talking about. And no, I am not going to look it up and
no one else will either. You needed to add a few more sentences by way of explanation. This forum is
not a seminar being conducted by a professor to whom we have to report on an assignment. Everything
in life is context, context, context. Believe me, as a former librarian, I could put this entire
newsgroup permanently to sleep by dredging up a universe of knowledge. Unlike many others, I know
where to go for the sources.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 15 Jan 2004 11:30:40 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>Maybe some day you could address the X factor - why recumbents are slower going up hills than
>uprights leaving aside all motor (variable outputs of the rider) considerations.

I'm not sure why you assume that the X factor can't be overcome. There is certainly a long way to go
in designing recumbents that allow the rider to climb as well as he or she can on a DF, up steep
long grades. Bit it's clearly not a linear relationship, and on lesser grades, especially of short
duration, the so-called disadvantages of recumbents are negligible. Momentum clobbers the DFs on the
lower sections of the slope and so anything that builds on or utilizes momentum has an advantage.
It's only when momentum gets wasted that those advantages disappear.

In fact the X factor itself could be due almost entirely to momentum created by the human body in
the upright position as it shifts weight (local momentum), and if there were a way to incorporate
that advantage into recumbents through an innovative frame design (by utilizing principles of
tensegrity and geodesy, for instance) then the X factor would simply disappear. Tensegrity
(continuous tension and discontinuous compression) has some rather odd properties that haven't been
fully explored.

Assuming that's possible, the reason it hasn't manifested is simply that recumbents aren't allowed
in the important cycling competitions, so there's no incentive to develop it. But the primary
opportunities (it seems to me) would come from the fact that a recumbent frame is three dimensional,
whereas a DF frame is essentially two-dimenional. The rider, it's true, operates in the third
dimension, which is why he gains some advantage by counterweighting and "local momentum" but subtle
changes in frame design my duplicate that effect in the same way that they have already duplicated
the balancing advantages of counterweighting in some of Patterson's designs.

Essentially the safety bicycle had been evolving for a century, and the recumbent for a much shorter
period of time. There's no reason to think it won't catch up, especially since the DF has arrived at
a more or less static point in its evolution.

http://www.demosophia.com