recumbent kits

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jeremy Watts, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Jeremy Watts

    Jeremy Watts Guest

    i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any kits
    available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?

    jeremy

    Tags:

  2. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Jeremy Watts <[email protected]> wrote:

    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any
    > kits available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?

    Web search for 'dutch bike kit' should find you one that uses a donor diamond frame uproight to give
    you a relatively cheap recumbent.

    rregards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  3. "Jeremy Watts" skrev...
    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any kits
    > available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?

    Theres "Atomic Zombies Bicycle Builders Bonanza"-book with plans for three recumbents. A diamond
    frame conversion short wheelbase. A long wheelbase lowracer and a frontwheel drive bigwheel short
    wheelbase lowracer. Many other bikes too such as choppers and lowriders, unicycles, tall ones etc...

    ISBN 0-07-142267-6 25 USD or 15 GBP.

    Mikael

  4. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Best plans for a Tour Easy Clone
    http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/

    My site for proof that it can be done

    www.gate.net/~teblum Many other sites. Just search and read

    WISIL http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm MARS
    http://www.recumbents.com/mars/projects.html

    Miles of Smiles, tom

    "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so
    wondered
    > if there are any kits available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know
    > for any?
    >
    > jeremy

  5. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Try a company called Bentech.

  6. watsonglenn

    watsonglenn New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
  7. Mike Schwab

    Mike Schwab Guest

    "Mother's Trike for the inheritance-challenged amongst us...

    The Mother Earth News March-April '83 Issue #81 has 2F1R trike building article at

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=3D081/081= -162-01&ID=3D2613&Num=3D4

    details building a 65.00 [1983 dollars] 2F1R trike with an absolute minimum of hand tools and a
    parts list with the then price of each individual part." - Dean Arthur

    Tom Sherman =96 Quad Cities

    > "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so
    > wondered
    > > if there are any kits available to build one yourself? or even plans=
    > > build one? anyone know for any?
    > >
    > > jeremy

  8. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any kits
    > available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?
    >
    > jeremy

    Recumbents are available down to $500: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=101000
    I'd wager that you couldn't create a similar quality 'bent building it yourself from parts, unless
    you're an experienced fabricator.

    If you want to build one for the *experience* of building it yourself, go right ahead (I'm going to
    build a highracer this spring, I hope). If you want a good, cheap recumbent, buy one at a shop.

    Jeff

  9. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    It probably isn't still around, but wasn't the company called "Dutch Speed Bike" doing a Kit a
    couple of years ago?

    Joshua
    *****

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Best plans for a Tour Easy Clone http://www.recycledrecumbent.com/
    >
    > My site for proof that it can be done
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum Many other sites. Just search and read
    >
    > WISIL http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/whatsup.htm MARS
    > http://www.recumbents.com/mars/projects.html
    >
    > Miles of Smiles, tom
    >
    > "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so
    > wondered
    > > if there are any kits available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know
    > > for any?
    > >
    > > jeremy

  10. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Wills) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > win>...
    > > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any
    > > kits available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?
    > >
    > > jeremy
    >
    > Recumbents are available down to $500: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-
    > bin/search.pl?category=101000 I'd wager that you couldn't create a similar quality 'bent building
    > it yourself from parts, unless you're an experienced fabricator.
    [...]

    And in the "used" section of the same site, there is an EZ-1 listed for $375. (I am kind of
    surprised we don't see more of those. )

    John Riley

  11. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    EVSolutions wrote:
    > It probably isn't still around, but wasn't the company called "Dutch Speed Bike" doing a Kit a
    > couple of years ago?

    Still very much around, see: http://www.dutchbikes.nl/uk.htm

    I have one (pictures on the site) and am pleased. I don't think he is prepared to sell i nthe USA
    though (he cites fear of your legal system!).

    Peter

  12. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    Jeremy,

    http://www.python.de.tt

    a center-steered lowracer that can be build by using MTB parts.

    Regards, Jürgen.

  13. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:58:36 -0600, Mike Schwab <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Mother's Trike for the inheritance-challenged amongst us...
    >
    > The Mother Earth News March-April '83 Issue #81 has 2F1R trike building article at
    >
    > http://www.motherearthnews.com/menarch/archive/goto.asp?article=081/081-162-01&ID=2613&Num=4
    >
    > details building a 65.00 [1983 dollars] 2F1R trike with an absolute minimum of hand tools and a
    > parts list with the then price of each individual part." - Dean Arthur

    Although this particular trike appears to have only a single caliper brake on the rear wheel so a:
    wouldn't be legal on teh roads lots of places, and b: probably wouldn't be all that safe at much
    above walking pace any place.

    Also, their notion of what might make a strong wheel is questionable, imo. Oh, and 'minimum of hand
    tools' includes a welding set, which is not exactly what my definition would be!

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  14. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    No weld recumbent plans – conversion:
    http://hometown.aol.com/david5430/photo.html
    Groundhugger:
    http://www.rqriley.com/images/bike-4.gif
    Groundhugger XR-2:
    http://rqriley.com/xr2.html

    FWD conversion plans:
    http://traylorf wd.home.mindspring.com

    A couple of wooden plans:
    Termite taxi:
    http://www.angelfire.com/id/BEEP/
    2X4 lowracer:
    http://www.manytracks.com/Recumbent/jrobin.htm#Top

  15. Swamprun

    Swamprun Guest

    On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:03:26 +0000, Jeremy Watts wrote:

    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so wondered if there are any kits
    > available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know for any?
    >
    > jeremy

    Why spend thousands or burn yourself with a welder

    www.actionbent.com

  16. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Admire the python.

    Does it corner fast?

    Turning radius?

    Is a LWB variant practical?

  17. Harry Spatz

    Harry Spatz Guest

    Why not buy a used one? You should be able to find a 3 or 4 yr. old for 1/2 the price of a new one.
    There are lots of new ones that don't cost "thousands"!

    "Jeremy Watts" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > i cant really afford the thousands required for a new recumbent, so
    wondered
    > if there are any kits available to build one yourself? or even plans to build one? anyone know
    > for any?
    >
    > jeremy

  18. Juergen

    Juergen Guest

    meb <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Turning radius?
    quite large : 2.5 m

    > Is a LWB variant practical?
    no - it is not compliant with the frame geometry

    The main advantages of the python are:

    - easy building
    - no special parts besides MTB parts
    - no handlebars necessary
    - both hands are free
    - both hands can touch the ground
    - high velocity (lowracer)
    - good offroad capability
    - foldable + dismountable into small chunks
    - short chain

    The main disadvantages are:

    - one needs to learn the steering principle
    - quite heavy (18 kg)

    best regards, Jürgen