recumbent muscles??

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by rrruuunnn, Dec 19, 2006.

1. rrruuunnn

rrruuunnn New Member

i am an upright cyclist. will recumbents burn fat at different parts of my body??

Tags:

2. Slugster438

Slugster438 New Member

No, nothing will do that.

It's common to get a bit of soreness in hip flexors when riding the first couple weeks, but it's not usually anything enough to keep one from riding.

Also if the seat is upright, you may feel a tremendous sense of pressure on your kidneys and lower back at first. But that's not painful either, and after a few weeks you won't notice it at all.
    ~

3. tutdmt

tutdmt New Member

I agree with Slugster. Where you burn is generally more a matter of genetics. For me that means belly fat goes last - something of a bother when starting out on a 'bent bike:rolleyes:

I just (finally) got my 1st 'bent bike and have just finished my 1st full week of commuting (15 mi each way.) I had just really started to get my DF legs having only returned to cycling since a kid earlier this summer.

I have a little musle pain from using some different muscles and feel it a little in my lower back. But all goes away as soon as I stop or even slow down a little, nothing lingers. With my DF, my hands/wrists started to numb up at about 10 miles and my butt and other parts would lose feeling at about 12-13 miles and would take a good 30 after I stopped to get full feeling back.

On my 'bent, I am already going faster than on my old bike, not a truly fair comparison as my old bike is a circa 1980 Ross 10 speed and the new is a '05 Bachetta Strada but I know that once my legs get into shape I can fly.

AND if I keep up the fat will continue to burn - from where? Eventually - everywhere - I hope.

4. rrruuunnn

rrruuunnn New Member

all of you all agree that recumbents are more comfortable?
    i read some have pain in the back or glutes from pressure?

5. tutdmt

tutdmt New Member

I won't say I am pain-free. I am still getting used to the recumbent and have some muscle pain but far less than the muscle pain I had when I first started on a DF. What I don't have is the pain that I felt in my wrists, neck and between my legs. That pain is gone and so it the numbness.

I always said I had a 15 mile one-way commute with 8 mile arms and a 10 mile butt those being the distances where I lost feeling in my wrists and butt. With the 'bent I still feel it a little in my butt but not until about mile 14.5 and it is far less that anything I experienced on the DF. I also think that the pain will go away as I fial in the bike and get used to it more. I am only on my 2nd week with the bike and there are so many ways to adjust the bike fit - way more than on any DF.

When I get off the 'bent I feel good and even the muscle pain is a good pain, if you know what I mean. It is the pain that tells me I had a good work out whereas on the DF the pain and/or numbness I felt lingered.

If you are looking at possibly getting a 'bent I storngly suggest going to a good recumbent shop and trying out a variety of bikes, unlike the DF bikes, there are so many styles to choose from. I tried about a dozen before coming to the style/size that fit me and my style of riding. I had to drive a couple of hours to find a shop that specialized but it was well worth it.

6. Hull 697

Hull 697 New Member

I have NO pain in my hands, wrists, shoulders, neck, back or butt.

I DO have muscle pain (that is normal when training - it's a good pain), and some minor pain in the knees, numb feet and glut pain when first starting to ride bent. The numb feet was all eliminated by REALLY learning to spin. In the case of knees and glut, that just required me to carefully adjust my seat position.

Very rarely someone does not seem to be able to get rid of some problem. IMHO there is something contributing to the situation other than the supposedly dialed in bike. Could be the office chair for all I know.

BTW, fat loss cannot be directed by specific exercises. Fat legs will not be trimmed by leg exercises. Endless situps will not eliminate a beer belly. Lots of exercise coupled with a proper diet will eliminate fat according to your body type. Endless exercise fueled by Donuts and McDonalds junk food will not.