Recumbent pedal boat

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. This skiff looks interesting...

    http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

    ....the blurb on one page suggests that cyclist at the Leicester event in
    late May will be able to give it a go.

    Colin
     
    Tags:


  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > This skiff looks interesting...
    >
    > http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm
    >
    > ...the blurb on one page suggests that cyclist at the Leicester event
    > in late May will be able to give it a go.



    Looks like fun. I'd like to have a go at that.
     
  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > This skiff looks interesting...


    Early issues of VeloVision had a piece on an Australian pedal powered
    kayak which a chap had done some pretty extensive touring on.

    Of course, any given Pedalo is a "recumbent pedal boat" if you take the
    bike definition of "cranks well in front of the rider" rather than
    "lying down", so they're not exactly a Big New Thing!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  4. Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Colin Blackburn wrote:
    >
    >> This skiff looks interesting...

    >
    >
    > Early issues of VeloVision had a piece on an Australian pedal powered
    > kayak which a chap had done some pretty extensive touring on.
    >
    > Of course, any given Pedalo is a "recumbent pedal boat" if you take the
    > bike definition of "cranks well in front of the rider" rather than
    > "lying down", so they're not exactly a Big New Thing!


    Indeed, and I almost typed pedalo in the subject line. However, in this
    case it looks like a well-designed boat that can be pedalled rather than
    a plastic buoyancy device designed for losing children in the Med. The
    Winsome looks more like the sort of thing Jerome K Jerome might have
    used had he only had one friend.

    Colin
     
  5. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > This skiff looks interesting...
    >
    > http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm
    >
    > ...the blurb on one page suggests that cyclist at the Leicester event in
    > late May will be able to give it a go.
    >
    > Colin


    Excellent! All it needs is a trailer and hook up to a tandem :)

    Would make a nice day out for us - 50k ride over to Wroxham, a gentle
    winsome down the river, a couple of beers at Horning, then a leisurely
    50k home again. Sadly not to be as I'm the only cyclist in the family :(

    --
    Chris
     
  6. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
    <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
    >>
    >> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    >> Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:


    >> >http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm


    >Beware pedal boats. Wrg peddled a boat from Dudley to Beale Park to raise
    >some money. There was no free wheel so we had to pedal all the time. The
    >riding position was uncomfortable as the seat was directly above the pedals
    >and there was nothing to hold on to except the roof. One peddler retired
    >with a blistered bum. We did have fun & we raised money but I don't think
    >any of us would care to repeat the exercise.


    Did you actually look at the link above? I seriously doubt you'd get
    any kin of blisters in one of these!

    NP: Zeitgeist Zero - Kill Your Idols.
    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow.
    http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal!
    http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The Gothic Revival.
     
  7. Sue

    Sue Guest

    "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
    > <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    > >"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
    > >>
    > >> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    > >> Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:

    >
    > >> >http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

    >
    > >Beware pedal boats. Wrg peddled a boat from Dudley to Beale Park to raise
    > >some money. There was no free wheel so we had to pedal all the time. The
    > >riding position was uncomfortable as the seat was directly above the

    pedals
    > >and there was nothing to hold on to except the roof. One peddler retired
    > >with a blistered bum. We did have fun & we raised money but I don't think
    > >any of us would care to repeat the exercise.

    >
    > Did you actually look at the link above? I seriously doubt you'd get
    > any kin of blisters in one of these!
    >
    > NP: Zeitgeist Zero - Kill Your Idols.
    > --
    > - Pyromancer Stormshadow.


    Yes I did. It didn't show the essential padding nor did it state if you
    could free wheel.
    Once bitten twice shy.
     
  8. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Sue wrote:
    >
    > "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
    > > <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    > > >"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]
    > > >> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
    > > >>
    > > >> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    > > >> Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:

    > >
    > > >> >http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

    > >
    > > >Beware pedal boats. Wrg peddled a boat from Dudley to Beale Park to raise
    > > >some money. There was no free wheel so we had to pedal all the time. The
    > > >riding position was uncomfortable as the seat was directly above the

    > pedals
    > > >and there was nothing to hold on to except the roof. One peddler retired
    > > >with a blistered bum. We did have fun & we raised money but I don't think
    > > >any of us would care to repeat the exercise.

    > >
    > > Did you actually look at the link above? I seriously doubt you'd get
    > > any kin of blisters in one of these!
    > >
    > > NP: Zeitgeist Zero - Kill Your Idols.
    > > --
    > > - Pyromancer Stormshadow.

    >
    > Yes I did. It didn't show the essential padding nor did it state if you
    > could free wheel.
    > Once bitten twice shy.




    A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
    backwards, and freewheeling in a boat is a very shortlived experience.
    Pedalling a boat is like hillclimbing, a lot of work, and you won't go
    fast. Only difference is you don't fall over if you stop pedalling.
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl
     
  9. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "m-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sue wrote:
    >>
    >> "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
    >> > <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >> > >"Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > >news:[email protected]
    >> > >> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
    >> > >>
    >> > >> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    >> > >> Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >> >
    >> > >> >http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm
    >> >


    >>
    >> Yes I did. It didn't show the essential padding nor did it state if you
    >> could free wheel.
    >> Once bitten twice shy.

    >
    >
    >
    > A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
    > backwards,


    Why not ?

    --
    Brian Ancient Order of Sewer Ants
     
  10. Brian

    Brian Guest

    <Brian Dominic [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:31:43 -0000, "Brian"
    > <[email protected]> put down their glass of wine, sat back and
    > said:
    >
    >
    >>> A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
    >>> backwards,

    >>
    >>Why not ?

    >
    > Because if you can freewheel, you can't paddle the boat in reverse,so
    > you can't stop................... unless of course, you had a
    > reversing gearbox. Besides, as soon as you stop pedalling, the
    > propeller stops, and so do you!



    Are, I miss read it (nice girl)
    I read it as you can't freewheel, reverse,stop. Not if you can freewheel
    then you cant reverse or stop

    --
    Brian Ancient Order of Sewer Ants
     
  11. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Brian Dominic
    [email protected] ('Brian Dominic [email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:31:43 -0000, "Brian"
    > <[email protected]> put down their glass of wine, sat back and
    > said:
    >
    >>> A freewheel on a pedalboat is useless. You can't brake, can't go
    >>> backwards,

    >>
    >>Why not ?

    >
    > Because if you can freewheel, you can't paddle the boat in reverse,so
    > you can't stop................... unless of course, you had a
    > reversing gearbox. Besides, as soon as you stop pedalling, the
    > propeller stops, and so do you!


    No. Boats don't work like that. If the propeller stops, the boat will
    continue to 'carry it's way' (due to inertia) for a substantial period,
    until skin drag and other parasitic losses slow it down. Even then it
    won't 'stop', unless there is neither wind nor current.

    Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in use.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
    ;; the Worlock
     
  12. Adrian Stott

    Adrian Stott Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:04:54 +0000, Simon Brooke
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in use.


    AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
    shaft bearings.

    In fact, locking the propeller when sailing reduces the speed of the
    boat. The propeller produces less water resistance if it is allowed
    to rotate.

    Adrian
     
  13. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "Adrian Stott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:00:47 +0000, Pyromancer
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>[ xposted, urc,urw ]
    >>
    >>Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    >>Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >>>This skiff looks interesting...

    > Along the same line, does anyone know what has happened to "Escargot",
    > a pedal narrow-beam cruiser produced three or four years ago under the
    > aegis of the Environment Agency and very visible at waterways events
    > for a while? From what I heard it worked quite well, and it didn't
    > require legs like the Gubernator's to propel it.
    >
    > Could it be an answer to the loss of red diesel?
    >


    I'm not towing you barge anywhere

    --
    Brian Ancient Order of Sewer Ants
     
  14. Brian

    Brian Guest

    "Ron Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pyromancer wrote:
    >> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Sue
    >> <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >>> "Pyromancer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>> news:[email protected]
    >>>> [ xposted, urc,urw ]
    >>>>
    >>>> Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Colin
    >>>> Blackburn <[email protected]> gently breathed:

    >>
    >>>>> http://www.swallowboats.com/winsome.htm

    >>



    More here
    http://mission.base.com/pedal-power/pp_index.html

    --
    Brian Ancient Order of Sewer Ants
     
  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Adrian Stott
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:04:54 +0000, Simon Brooke
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in
    >>use.

    >
    > AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
    > shaft bearings.


    Yes, I know this. But the point I was trying to make was that stopping
    the propeller does not stop the boat.

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Our modern industrial economy takes a mountain covered with trees,
    ;; lakes, running streams and transforms it into a mountain of junk,
    ;; garbage, slime pits, and debris. -- Edward Abbey
     
  16. On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:14:03 +0000, Adrian Stott <[email protected]>
    wrote:


    >
    >Along the same line, does anyone know what has happened to "Escargot",
    >a pedal narrow-beam cruiser produced three or four years ago under the
    >aegis of the Environment Agency and very visible at waterways events
    >for a while? From what I heard it worked quite well, and it didn't
    >require legs like the Gubernator's to propel it.
    >

    You can rent one on the river Ruhr (Germany)
    http://www.gruene-flotte.de/ (click "escargot", scroll down, click
    "aktuelles prospekt". Only in German, I'm afraid.

    Some more pedalboat links:

    http://www.humanpoweredboats.com/
    http://openwatercycling.com/features.htm
    http://www.tailboats.com/
    http://microship.com/bobstuart/spinfin.html
    http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html
    http://bikerdave.murioi.com/ (and some fascinating lightweight camping
    gear too)

    Mark van Gorokm.
     
  17. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    > in message <[email protected]>, Adrian Stott
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:04:54 +0000, Simon Brooke
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in
    > >>use.

    > >
    > > AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
    > > shaft bearings.

    >
    > Yes, I know this. But the point I was trying to make was that stopping
    > the propeller does not stop the boat.
    >



    on a decent crank driven boat the cranks turn when you move the boat
    along the pier. If you stop pedalling you add drag. Do not compare an
    efficient HPB propellor with an enginedriven eggbeater

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl
     
  18. Andy Morris

    Andy Morris Guest

    Adrian Stott wrote:

    > AIUI, those that do this do so solely to prevent wear on the prop
    > shaft bearings.
    >

    verry true

    > In fact, locking the propeller when sailing reduces the speed of the
    > boat. The propeller produces less water resistance if it is allowed
    > to rotate.
    >



    As far as I know, locking is better than letting the prop rotate but with
    some resistance, from stiff seals etc.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:
    Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
     
  19. Jeremy Nunns

    Jeremy Nunns Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Simon
    Brooke <[email protected]> writes
    >Most sailing boats lock their propellers when the engine is not in use.


    Um, not necessarily.

    I always try and put the gear control 'out of gear' and make sure the
    prop is 'feathering' (i.e. rotating in the flow of water caused by
    forward motion) when I am sailing. The very gentle humming alerts me to
    the fact that I have not got rope/weed/carrier bags/etc. wrapped around
    the prop. If the humming stops, I may have a problem. It also means
    that the prop is not slowing me down as much - you usualy want every
    ounce of efficiency you can when sailing.
    --

    Jeremy Nunns
    (Just back from two days of VERY cold boating on Norfolk's inland waters)
     

  20. >
    > Most sailing boats lock their propellers when

    the engine is not in use.


    i disagree, most let the prop turn freely, so as
    not to slow you down

    roy
     
Loading...
Loading...