Recumbent Question?

ktnobody

Apr 10, 2005
Hello,

My name is Katie, and I have recently bought a Rans Wave Recumbent Bicycle. :D I Love the Bike, but I would like to know if there is anyway to make the handlebars less shaky?:confused: They want to move around alot, and its hard to keep the bike going straight. I also have one other question. Do you wear bike shorts on a recumbent, or do you just wear regular shorts? :confused: Thanks for your help!

Biker in Need,
Katie:)

ktnobody said:
Hello,
I would like to know if there is anyway to make the handlebars less shaky?
Katie, the best answer I can give you is to ride the bike a lot. The Wave is a bit different from the SWB's I've ridden, but the principle is the same. Plant your bottom on the seat and lean solidly against the backrest. Put your hands gently on the grips, like they were small, furry creatures (assuming you *like* small, furry creatures ;) ). Think about pedaling smooth circles at a relaxed tempo. When you need to steer, try doing it without using your hands - lean your body a little and look (turn/tilt your head) where you want to go. Practice in an empty parking lot - make big circles then make little ones. See how slow you can hold a straight line, then see how slow you can make a controlled figure-eight. Keep light hands and keep pedaling circles, not squares!

Check in when you have at least 500 (more) miles on the bike - I bet you'll find the handlbars less shaky by then.
ktnobody said:
Do you wear bike shorts on a recumbent, or do you just wear regular shorts?
I like the muscle support of a compression short, but the pad isn't helpful on a 'bent. Fortunately, you can get them without the pad from several vendors. Try Hostel Shoppe and Kucharik. I don't like regular shorts on a 'bent' because they tend to balloon at speed.

Hope this helps,

John

Hi Katie. Welcome to the world of bents! A lot of new recumbent riders are wobbly at first. It's almost like learning to ride all over again. To smooth things out, practice relaxing your upper body while riding. You should curl your fingers over the handlebars and just let your arms hang loosely. Having a smooth pedal technique also helps. If you practice enough, it't not impossible to become as steady as any upright rider.

You can wear whatever shorts make you happy, you certainly don't need the pad anymore! Just be warned, if you ride very fast, make sure your shorts don't balloon out and make nice bee-catchers! (Don't ask!) :eek:

Katie, Getting rid of the shaky feeling is really rather simple. When we bought our first 'bents we were told not to strongly grip the handlebars and not to make rapid corrections as we had done on our old DF (Diamond Frame) bikes. You should try to ride with just the tips of your finger tips gently holding the grips, then totally relax your arms and let your elbows just hand using your finger tips to hold them up. Lean back and relax. Try to become one with the seat of your bike. It took my wife 500 yards to get used to the BikeEs we used to own. It actually took me even fewer yards. However we now ride Rans V-Rexes and I can see that it might take a new rider a bit longer riding a CWB 'bent. All I can see is enjoy the ride. There is nothing that can compare with the 'bent when it comes to bikes.