Recumbent question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ck197, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Ck197

    Ck197 Guest

    Hello, I want to start exercising and bike riding might alleviate my boredom with other forms of
    exercise. I really don't know squat about this type of bike other than one is in a reclining
    position. Are there any good websites that show the differences, pros and cons, what type to buy,
    etc. between this type of bike and the traditional type? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Geoff Adams

    Geoff Adams Guest

    Go here:

    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    and here:

    http://www.recumbents.com/home.htm

    That will get you started.

    CK197 wrote:
    > Hello, I want to start exercising and bike riding might alleviate my boredom with other forms of
    > exercise. I really don't know squat about this type of bike other than one is in a reclining
    > position. Are there any good websites that show the differences, pros and cons, what type to buy,
    > etc. between this type of bike and the traditional type? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "CK197" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I want to start exercising and bike riding might alleviate my boredom with other forms of
    > exercise. I really don't know squat about this type of bike other than one is in a reclining
    > position. Are there any good websites that show the differences, pros and cons, what type to buy,
    > etc. between this type of bike and the traditional type? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    There are some very good bikes in the sub-$1,000 category. Many regular bike shops stock a few
    'bents, and that's the best place to start. Only after you've tried a few different recumbents can
    you begin to narrow down the field and find just the right bike. They're all quite unique. Some feel
    strange, some less so. Everybody has their preference, and there is probably a bike or trike out
    there to suit you.

    One suggestion: Since a recumbent is just about the most fun you can have exercising on land, allow
    yourself to consider the more expensive bikes, and particularly, the trikes. A trike is almost
    guaranteed to paste a smile on your face. I feel like a kid again every time I ride mine. You only
    live once, you should have some fun while you're here.

    Where are you located? Maybe we can steer you to a great recumbent shop in your area.

    Have fun on your search. Let us know what you end up with.

    -Barry

  4. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > I want to start exercising and bike riding might alleviate my boredom

    This was my goal also. I have gym memberships but who wants to go to all of that trouble just to be
    bored? When i ride my Vision R40 to work (8mi each way) I get a pleasant glow during the day when i
    think that I have such a nice ride waiting for me at 5pm.

    > with other forms of exercise.

    Some of us, such as myself, came to 'bents because I couldn't ride my DF any more. DF = diamond
    Frame or 'regular bicycle'. I have some joint problems and spinal problems... neck, lower back,
    elbows, and wrists for example. Note that the 'bent radically changes the way/amount that these
    areas are impacted. I can finally ride long distances, ride often and ride hard. Because of knee
    problems, I did a very slow and cautious 6 months of conditioning, and I am still careful.

    > I really don't know squat about this type of bike other than one is in a reclining position.

    I imagine that you will enjoy learning new things. I read a lot and rode a number of bents, and
    talked to a number of riders before making the move. I spent $800 on mine (list $1399 I think). I
    thought that it was important enough in relation to my overall health that even if it didn't work
    out long-term, at least it was an intelligent choice for a trial.

    My buddy at work has a Rans Rocket which is similar to my R40. When I first saw it I immediately
    saw how it could be an answer for me. I did get under-seat-steering because 1) I liked the radical
    look of it
    2) I felt I should keep stress off of my delicate elbows.

    I still really enjoy my bike. I have had it for less than a year and have about 1400 miles on it. I
    expect that I will put the miles on faster now that I am in better condition.

    A thing I am beginning to see is that you need to give some attention to fit and adjustment, and
    ride a good bit before deciding you don't like 'bents. I am still realizing that in some ways I
    still need to make changes in fitment.

  5. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    CK197 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Are there any good websites that show the differences, pros and cons, what type to buy, etc.
    > between this type of bike and the traditional type? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Try this comparison, on my site. It won't tell you what to buy, but it will give you an idea of the
    differences. http://www.biketcba.org/TRICORR/compare.html

  6. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    In addition to the websites that you have been given, I can reccommend the The Recumbent Cyclist
    News as a good hard copy magazine. They have an annual issue on how to select a recumbent to meet
    your needs.

    http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com/

    Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City