Recumbent Rain Gear

[email protected] wrote:
> Touring and rain almost always go together.
>
> http://ebent.wordpress.com/2006/06/22/recumbent-raingear/
>
> Here's one opinion on what to carry, but I suspect we all have our own
> preferences.

Folk may be interested to know that there is a recumbent specific rain
jacket that ICE developed with Freestyle. Details here...
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trice_details_general_accessories.htm#jacket

I don't have one so won't presume to comment further on if it's any good
beyond saying VeloVision reviewed it and quite liked it.

I agree with the article that formal waterproofs are often just a way of
getting wet from your own sweat but there are lots of options for "soft
shells" that will keep out the worst but breathe much better than
Goretex et al. Various flavours of Pertex are often the material of choice.

For dry feet I like SPuD sandals... you get wet feet, of course, but
they dry out as soon as the rain stops instead of squelching all day.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
([email protected]) wrote:

> Folk may be interested to know that there is a recumbent specific rain
> jacket that ICE developed with Freestyle. Details here...
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trice_details_general_accessories.htm#jacket
>
> I don't have one so won't presume to comment further on if it's any good
> beyond saying VeloVision reviewed it and quite liked it.

I have one, and so do Pat Hurt and Bryan Ball, and we all think it's
Dead Good. I wish I'd taken it on the 3 Coasts last weekend, but it's a
bit bulky, and would have meant using the larger of my two rack packs -
which in turn weighs a whopping 1.3 kg more than the smaller one!

I'm just a primitive creature of the heath, so pardon my savage
ignorance.

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:58:06 +0100, Peter Clinch wrote:

> Folk may be interested to know that there is a recumbent specific rain
> jacket that ICE developed with Freestyle. Details here...
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/trice_details_general_accessories.htm#jacket

There was a recumbent-specific jacket on sale at the Mildenhall Rally last
year, which may very well have been this one. At 140 quid I decided I'd
get wet a few times a year instead. Of course I /do/ live in the driest
part of the country ;-)

Mike