Recumbent Ramblings of a Great Holiday.

Peter Grange

Guest
Took my Street Machine via European Bike Express to Bordeaux, cycled to
Narbonne & returned via EBE again.

SM was extremely comfortable over the 11 days, max I did in one day was
75 miles. Turned a lot of heads on the way, many conversations with the
locals (as much as my French will allow anyway).

Confirmed my suspicions that, for me anyway, it is not the best bike for
hills though (up them that is, down them is BRILLIANT!), but there
aren't that many on that route.

Got sunburn on forehead. In all my years of cycle touring that has
_never_ been a problem before.....

I can thoroughly recommend a recumbent as a tourer, looking forward to
doing something similar next year.

--
Peter Grange

Peter Grange wrote:

> Confirmed my suspicions that, for me anyway, it is not the best bike for
> hills though (up them that is, down them is BRILLIANT!)

This is true, but you do get up them in the end...

> Got sunburn on forehead. In all my years of cycle touring that has
> _never_ been a problem before.....

Dropped into the LBS today to leave them a wheel for truing (I did have
a go and improved things a bit, but their wheel chap knows his stuff and
I don't) and bought a cycle cap while I was there, hoping to avoid similar.

> I can thoroughly recommend a recumbent as a tourer, looking forward to
> doing something similar next year.

Will be off week after next, somewhere north of here, on mine with Roos
on her new Fiero Tour. First time I'll have actually done a proper tour
over more than a weekend on mine, but I already know I wouldn't swap it
for anything else I've seen (aside from maybe another SMGT with a
Rohloff and Titanium Rotor cranks!).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK