Recumbent Ramblings of a Great Holiday.

Peter Grange

Guest
Took my Street Machine via European Bike Express to
Bordeaux, cycled to Narbonne & returned via EBE again.

SM was extremely comfortable over the 11 days, max I did in
one day was 75 miles. Turned a lot of heads on the way, many
conversations with the locals (as much as my French will
allow anyway).

Confirmed my suspicions that, for me anyway, it is not the
best bike for hills though (up them that is, down them is
BRILLIANT!), but there aren't that many on that route.

Got sunburn on forehead. In all my years of cycle touring
that has _never_ been a problem before.....

I can thoroughly recommend a recumbent as a tourer, looking
forward to doing something similar next year.

--
Peter Grange

Peter Grange wrote:

> Confirmed my suspicions that, for me anyway, it is not the
> best bike for hills though (up them that is, down them is
> BRILLIANT!)

This is true, but you do get up them in the end...

> Got sunburn on forehead. In all my years of cycle touring
> that has _never_ been a problem before.....

Dropped into the LBS today to leave them a wheel for truing
(I did have a go and improved things a bit, but their wheel
chap knows his stuff and I don't) and bought a cycle cap
while I was there, hoping to avoid similar.

> I can thoroughly recommend a recumbent as a tourer,
> looking forward to doing something similar next year.

Will be off week after next, somewhere north of here, on
mine with Roos on her new Fiero Tour. First time I'll have
actually done a proper tour over more than a weekend on
mine, but I already know I wouldn't swap it for anything
else I've seen (aside from maybe another SMGT with a Rohloff
and Titanium Rotor cranks!).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382