Recumbent rider saves upright cyclist!

Ed Gin & Shirle

Guest
Today was one of those unusually warm Spring days with temps hovering over 80 on the Chicago
lakefront. Cruising at a slow pace down the bike path adjacent to Monroe Harbor, I happened to
glance at the pedestrian walkway at the lake's edge noting an upright rider endoing into the air.
Because I didn't have a clear line of sight, the reason for the accident was not clear at first.
Hastily I cut off the path noting his female companion seeking help and justifiably upset with him
IN the very cold lake water.

Amazingly there were about 20 onlookers whom did nothing nor move towards the struggling cyclist dog
paddling in the frigid waters. She asked for a cell phone to call 911 but I knew time was the enemy.
Instead, I directed him to swim to a mooring on the boat docks. Seeing that he couldn't pull himself
out, I knew something had to be done soon. Unfortunately the access gate to the docks have locks and
huge metal spiked radial anti entry prevention fencing.

Seeing the 7 foot pointed obstacle with no possibility of climbing over it, I decided to hang off
the edge and swing under the spikes risking falling into the lake.

Arriving to the victim I noted he was quite exhausted and nearly slipped under as I grasped under
his shoulder in the nick of time. Encouraging him to roll his hips as I pulled up, I was able to
pull him onto the boat dock. Though wet and shivering, he was OK and able to walk back after a few
minutes "gathering his senses."

After bidding them a fond farewell, I continued down the pedestrian path and noted the Chicago
Police Marine Patrol boat and informed them of the mishap. A subsequent visit to the site produced
no victims, however a witness did give her assessment of the incident and the men in blue mentioned
something about a "good samaritan award."

Ed - http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/grupos/ola.gif - Gin

Way to go Ed, but what do you mean slow???I didn't know that you had that speed. At least no one
stole his bike while he was struggling in the water. "Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara"
> Today was one of those unusually warm Spring days with temps hovering over 80 on the Chicago
> lakefront. Cruising at a slow pace down the bike path adjacent to Monroe Harbor, I happened to
> glance at the pedestrian walkway at the lake's edge noting an upright rider endoing into the air.
> Because I didn't have a clear line of sight, the reason for the accident was not clear at first.
> Hastily I cut off the path noting his female companion seeking help and justifiably upset with him
> IN the very cold lake water.
>
> Amazingly there were about 20 onlookers whom did nothing nor move towards the struggling cyclist
> dog paddling in the frigid waters. She asked for a cell phone to call 911 but I knew time was the
> enemy. Instead, I directed him to swim to a mooring on the boat docks. Seeing that he couldn't
> pull himself out, I knew something had to be done soon. Unfortunately the access gate to the docks
> have locks and huge metal spiked radial anti entry prevention fencing.
>
> Seeing the 7 foot pointed obstacle with no possibility of climbing over it, I decided to hang off
> the edge and swing under the spikes risking falling into the lake.
>
> Arriving to the victim I noted he was quite exhausted and nearly slipped under as I grasped under
> his shoulder in the nick of time. Encouraging him to roll his hips as I pulled up, I was able to
> pull him onto the boat dock. Though wet and shivering, he was OK and able to walk back after a few
> minutes "gathering his senses."
>
> After bidding them a fond farewell, I continued down the pedestrian path and noted the Chicago
> Police Marine Patrol boat and informed them of the mishap. A subsequent visit to the site produced
> no victims, however a witness did give her assessment of the incident and the men in blue
> mentioned something about a "good samaritan award."
>
> Ed - http://www.2ni2.com/emoticon/grupos/ola.gif - Gin

Harv,

Yeah to steal his bike would have required a large hook, and rope....to dredge it off the bottom
of the lake.

Perhaps a better description would have been "people watching pace," with the unusual high
temperatures, scantily clad bodies were prevalent most everywhere. ;-)

Ed - my eyesight is still good - Gin

harv wrote:

> Way to go Ed, but what do you mean slow???I didn't know that you had that speed....

Occasionally Ed and the other north side lowracer riders will do an "easy" pace of 19-20 mph on
the flats. ;)

Tom Sherman - Honorary Chicagoland Recumbent Rider

Oh, you mean that time you rode with them, Tom? The time I rode with them they kept stalling out and
falling over from a lack of suitable velocity and an excess of politeness at letting me try to keep
up, 'till we hit the hills in St. Charles and from the ever growing gap I think they reverted to a
news:[email protected]...

harv wrote:

> Oh, you mean that time you rode with them, Tom? The time I rode with them they kept stalling out
> and falling over from a lack of suitable velocity and an excess of politeness at letting me try to
> keep up, 'till we hit the hills in St. Charles and from the ever growing gap I think they reverted
> to a leisurely pace.

Harv,

On the 4th of July invitational ride last year, I rode about half the metric century in the lowracer
peleton. [1] We were typically running in the 22-23 mph range on the flats. Ed and Larry did the
pulling, and I did the drafting at the back.

[1] Until I overheated. [2]
[2] Apparently I was the only person at the start of the FOS Easter ride on Sunday wearing only
shorts and a short sleeve jersey and not feeling cold.

Tom Sherman - Honorary Chicagoland Recumbent Rider

In article <[email protected]>, Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I happened to glance at the pedestrian walkway at the lake's edge noting an upright rider endoing
> into the air. Because I didn't have a clear line of sight, the reason for the accident was not
> clear at first.

The reason for the mishap is that the guy was riding a diamond frame and he was high in the air. The
40+ mph winds today just picked the guy up off the bike and tossed him in the water.

The perfect example of a good reason to avoid riding a diamond frame as windy days make riding a DF
dangerous. Had that person been on a low recumbent he would have been safe in the high winds today.

Good job helping the guy Ed. You saved a life! You are the local hero today.

Fastrider

"fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message com...
> > The reason for the mishap is that the guy was riding a diamond frame and
> he was high in the air.

NOTE: Ed the benter was riding in a park setting on some lame foot path or something as per usual.
Those aren't real cyclist he's sees, that's one reason he thinks he's fast.

You quite often will see some benter lodged under the hotdog stand after the rider overcooks a
cornor and loses control of his contraption in the park. They seldom venture out onto the road as
they know car drivers can't see them, and also they may meet a group of elite cyclists who will
glare at them and make nasty jokes about benters just like I'm doing now.

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Those aren't real cyclist he's sees

Funny how the guy in the water was wearing a fancyboy team kit which is what most elite
roadies wear.

Kudos to Ed for saving the misfortunate team kit fellow who was riding the DF. Perhaps now that
elite roadie will stop riding that step ladder with wheels on windy days.

Fastrider

"fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...
>> Funny how the guy in the water was wearing a fancyboy team kit which is
> what most elite roadies wear.

Due to the fact that the rider was in a park makes him a poser, we don't do parks.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Lake Michigan, at this time of year the temps range between
35 and 40 F. Then there's the risk of taking a header into the rocks. He was very lucky.

hey Fabio, get a haircut and go back to alt.rec.snobbya**df.riders.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "fastrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message .com...
> >> Funny how the guy in the water was wearing a fancyboy team kit which is
> > what most elite roadies wear.
> >

> Due to the fact that the rider was in a park makes him a poser, we don't do parks.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote:

> hey Fabio, get a haircut and go back to alt.rec.snobbya**df.riders.

Ed, Next time you are out on the Lakefront Path and happen to see Fab get blown into the lake off of
his step ladder on wheels please be sure to let Fab sink to the bottom. Perhaps you can throw a big
rock at him to finish him off quicker while he is dog paddling in his fancyboy kit.

Fastrider

Chris,

Because of the cold temperatures, hypothermia was imminent. And he had on cycling shorts, and a
short sleeved jersey, minimal insulation

at best.

Ed - I'm glad he got out OK - Gin

fastrider wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Blake McCully" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > hey Fabio, get a haircut and go back to alt.rec.snobbya**df.riders.
>
> Ed, Next time you are out on the Lakefront Path and happen to see Fab get blown into the lake off
> of his step ladder on wheels please be sure to let Fab sink to the bottom. Perhaps you can throw a
> big rock at him to finish him off quicker while he is dog paddling in his fancyboy kit.
>
> Fastrider

Don't quit your day job. ;-}

I hate to feed the troll, but I'll do it anyway.

Che dici Fabrizio? Sai niente! Illinois time trial champ Craig Gartland trains almost exlusively in
the 'park,' the lakefront path, in Chicago. He's, of course, a DF rider, but a very nice guy and not
prone to squawkage, unlike zio Fabrizio, here.

How many state championships do you have, Fabrizio?

> Due to the fact that the rider was in a park makes him a poser, we don't do parks.

"Seth Jayson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Illinois time trial champ Craig Gartland trains almost exlusively in the 'park,' the lakefront
> path, in Chicago. He's, of course, a DF rider, but a very nice guy and not prone to squawkage,
> unlike zio Fabrizio, here.

Graig may be a nice guy but he is very squirrelly when he's riding in a group. Time Trials are a
niche category, the real race is the Road Race. Guys like Graig that focus on TTs and train on the
Lakefront are doing so because us elite roadies have more or less banished them from our group.

Just this morning, I was surprised to receive a phone call from George, whom I manage to assist out
of the freezing Lake Michigan waters 10 days ago.

He's doing OK considering the fall was quite traumatic going from plus 80 degree air temperatures
to 41 degree waters. George attempted to "fish out" the bike finding out it had already been done
by the Chicago Marine Police who held it along with the report filed hoping he'd return to fill in
the details.

Though he is still miffed about the "cause" of the accident, having hit nothing to throw him off the
bike, the last thing recalled was reaching down to grab the water bottle from the down tube. His
female companion just saw him ride off the pavement into the lake, go figure?

It was good receiving the call and confirming his condition. We spoke for quite awhile having shared
a "kindred" connection of sorts. George will continue riding along the lakefront and go on with his
life. I wished him the best.

Ed Gin

ah...just another case of the hazards of drinking while driving LOL re: the last thing he remembers
(just before driving into the lake) was reaching down for his water bottle from the down tube.
"Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just this morning, I was surprised to receive a phone call from George, whom I manage to assist
> out of the freezing Lake Michigan waters 10 days ago.
>
> He's doing OK considering the fall was quite traumatic going from plus 80 degree air temperatures
> to 41 degree waters. George attempted to "fish
out"
> the bike finding out it had already been done by the Chicago Marine Police who held it along with
> the report filed hoping he'd return to fill in the details.
>
> Though he is still miffed about the "cause" of the accident, having hit nothing to throw him off
> the bike, the last thing recalled was reaching down to grab the water bottle from the down tube.
> His female companion
just
> saw him ride off the pavement into the lake, go figure?
>
> It was good receiving the call and confirming his condition. We spoke for quite awhile having
> shared a "kindred" connection of sorts. George will continue riding along the lakefront and go on
> with his life. I wished him the best.
>
> Ed Gin

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>> the last thing recalled was reaching
> down to grab the water bottle from the down tube. His female companion just saw him ride off the
> pavement into the lake, go figure?
A friend of mine caused an accident because the lip of his waterbottle caught on the rear brake
cable under the top tube as he was taking it out to get a drink. This may have been the cause of
this guy's too, he just doesn't remember getting it all the way out or something. Or maybe he
just didn't steer straight... Is the bike alright? Need to repack stuff I'd assume... good luck
to him. Matt