Recumbent safety statistics

STEVENHAYES

Feb 28, 2010
Hi,
I wondered if anyone could direct me to a site where I might find safety statistics about Recumbent HPV's?
There are sources where I live in the UK which give details of numbers of cyclists killed or seriously injured (KSI) per mile cycled, but these are not broken down into categories of bicycle/HPV.
I am trying to obtain an objective view of HPV safety before purchasing a recumbent. I am hoping to buy a "Raptobike Lowracer".
I would be really grateful if anyone could help.
Cheers
Steve

I don't know much about cycling related stastistics, but when it comes to activities such as riding a bike, or motorcycle, I tend to trust my own ability then stastistics.
Just like trying anything new for the first time, start out slow and stay within your omfort zone even when you think you've got the basics down.
Some consider recumbents have disadvantage of difficult to see in traffic, I never thought so. IMO, being seen in traffic is highly dependent on how you operate a vehicle in traffic.

I'm not aware of any statistics that separate recumbents from uprights. To the bean counters, they're all bicycles, and any statements by us recumbent riders is purely anecdotal.

Anecdotally, I think recumbents would have fewer accidents; the reason being that the Huffy riders out there skew the statistics and therefore 'bent riders are less likely than the 'average' upright rider to do stupid stuff like wrong-way riding and riding after dark with no lights or reflectors (the two leading causes of car/bicycle accidents.) That aspect would be purely dependent on the rider's skill level, not an indication that the bike itself is safer. However, falling from a recumbent is less likely to mean a trip to the hospital, due to the lower seating and the feet-first position of the rider. I've never seen a broken clavicle resulting from a recumbent rider going down.

IFAIK no-one has any stats broken down by bicycle type, and I suspect even if they did then the numbers from recumbent accidents may fall below the statistically significant level.
IMHO the most important thing is the riders skill: I can not believe what stupid things other cyclists do: not looking before pulling out etc. Of course somethings are beyond your control: if a SUV drives over you then you are a goner, but if you learnt about road positioning, anticipation etc you can avoid most problems. Cycling is very safe, and even safer if you take yourself out of the unskilled/do-not-care class of riders.
My advice: get the bike, but learn to be aware of your surroundings. Read Franklin's book. Have fun and do not boil it all down to numbers !!
(Sorry: the answer you were looking for !!)
My advice: get the bike, but learn to be aware of your surroundings. Read Franklin's book. Have fun and do not boil it all down to numbers !! (Sorry: the answer you were looking for !!)

As stated above if you are careful and use your head a recumbent is just as safe as a any other bike. Safety also has a lot to do with where you ride.

While I understand your concern for safety, it's important to note that the category of "Recumbent HPVs" is quite broad and encompasses various designs and configurations. The Raptobike Lowracer, in particular, is a type of recumbent bicycle known for its aerodynamic efficiency and handling.

When it comes to safety, it's crucial to consider the specific design and construction of the bike, as well as the rider's skill and experience. Statistics on KSI per mile cycled don't provide a complete picture of the safety profile of a particular type of bicycle.

I would encourage you to research the safety features and design specifications of the Raptobike Lowracer, as well as seek out user reviews and testimonials from experienced recumbent cyclists. Remember, a well-designed and properly maintained recumbent bicycle can be just as safe, if not safer, than a traditional diamond-frame bike. Don't let misconceptions or fear hold you back from exploring the benefits of recumbent cycling!