recumbent similar to df

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kevin Baker, Jun 10, 2003.

  1. Kevin Baker

    Kevin Baker Guest

    I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.

    Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed tendonitis
    in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem. I don't
    really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want something
    where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    thanks, Kevin

    Tags:

  2. "Kevin Baker" skrev...

    > Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    > tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    > I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    > something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    Hmm, if it had similar geometry wouldn't you experience the same problem? What makes it a
    recumbent usually is that it has a geometry unlike your basic DF. There are some "almost
    DF"-recumbents/hybrids around but you would probably have to testride them to be sure they
    would help you.

    http://www.ransbikes.com/2003Lineup/Fusion.htm
    http://www.visionrecumbents.com/Images/Thoroughbred.pdf If you like the Vision, you should probably
    check out the Dursley-Pedersen. Same geometry but a lot more stylish.
    http://www.pedersenbicycles.com/

    If you on the other hand is looking for the recumbent equivalent of a roadbike you should consider
    Bachetta, Volae and Vision highracers. Still IMHO. http://www.x-eyed.com/bike1.html
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=104700 http://www.visionrecumbents.com
    (bikes/60 series "Sabers")

    Good luck Mikael

  3. Try a short wheelbase recumbent with a high bottom bracket which gives great pedal geometry for
    power transfer like that of df racer, except the rider is rotated 90 degrees in to a reclining
    position. These tend to be good hill climbers too. Some recommendations:

    Bacchetta's line of bikes (e.g., Strada, Aero) Lightning's bikes: P-38, R-84

    Beware though, after a month of riding these bikes, you may discover two things:
    1.) You've become a fan of the comfort provided by a recumbent.
    2.) You may actually end up faster on these types of recumbents.

    Have fun.

    Larry

    "Kevin Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.
    >
    > Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    > tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    > I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    > something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.
    >

    > thanks, Kevin

  4. Corona

    Corona Guest

    "Laurence D. Preble, D.C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Try a short wheelbase recumbent with a high bottom bracket which gives great pedal geometry for
    > power transfer like that of df racer, except the rider is rotated 90 degrees in to a reclining
    > position. These tend to be good hill climbers too. Some recommendations:
    >
    > Bacchetta's line of bikes (e.g., Strada, Aero) Lightning's bikes: P-38, R-84
    >
    > Beware though, after a month of riding these bikes, you may discover two things:
    > 1.) You've become a fan of the comfort provided by a recumbent.
    > 2.) You may actually end up faster on these types of recumbents.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Larry

    You might also discover that a short wheel base recumbent with a high bottom bracket might not be
    the bike for you. Some people have trouble with a foot position higher than the seat. A long wheel
    base with a low bottom bracket is preferred by many riders for cycling long distances.

    Anyway, in most cases, expect to be slower than with you DF. Especially hill climbing. Long wheel
    base bents like a Tour Easy or GRR are faster on the flats and downhill than DF's, but still fall
    behind when climbing.

    > "Kevin Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.
    > >
    > > Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    > > tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the
    > > problem. I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $),
    > > I just want something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my
    > > road bike.
    > >

    > > thanks, Kevin

  5. A high seat and low crank will feel the closest to the handling of your df and probably be easiest
    to learn. Not a good aero profile. A high crank and low seat will have a simular body position (
    rotated 90 degrees ) to your df and have a better aero profile. The lower the seat the more likely
    you will need to relearn how to handle the machine. Steve "Speedy" Delaire

    Kevin Baker wrote:

    > I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.
    >
    > Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    > tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    > I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    > something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.
    >
    > thanks, Kevin

  6. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    [email protected] (Kevin Baker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've searched quite a bit for this but haven't been able to find anything specific.
    >
    > Is there a recumbent that has similar geometry to a df? I race df's but I have developed
    > tendonitis in my elbow and was thinking that a recumbent would be a good way to treat the problem.
    > I don't really care about handling, comfort, speed, etc. (I do care somewhat about $), I just want
    > something where I can get my miles (200/wk) that will not be too different from my road bike.

    Based on your situation, I think you're really asking which recumbent will use the same muscles, so
    you don't lose too much conditioning while you're off the upright? This may be a different question
    than what the others are trying to answer.