Recumbent tandem in major film

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Johnstone, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. I've just watched the trailer to an American film I saw advertised on
    the side of a bus. The star of the film is shown riding both a upright
    bike and a recumbent tandem. Perhaps the dark side is breaking into
    mainstream cinema (and not just Star Wars) and recumbent cycles will
    become (even more) cool. The name of the film? "The 40 Year-Old Virgin".
    Oh dear.

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Bob Johnstone <bob.johnstoneReplaceThisWithAnAtSignphysics.org> wrote:
    : become (even more) cool. The name of the film? "The 40 Year-Old Virgin".
    : Oh dear.

    Yeah. If he'd bought a car he'd have got laid.

    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  3. Arthur Clune wrote:
    > Bob Johnstone <bob.johnstoneReplaceThisWithAnAtSignphysics.org> wrote:
    > : become (even more) cool. The name of the film? "The 40 Year-Old Virgin".
    > : Oh dear.
    >
    > Yeah. If he'd bought a car he'd have got laid.

    I seem to recall that being the implication of the byline of one of the
    poster adverts.

    Colin

  4. Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >> Yeah. If he'd bought a car he'd have got laid.

    > I seem to recall that being the implication of the byline of one of the
    > poster adverts.

    That's true, but the trailer shows a couple clearly enjoying themselves
    on the tandem. I suppose we'll have to watch the film to find out
    whether the bicycles are babe-magnets or nerd-accessories.

    Bob

  5. Blonde

    Blonde Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    > > Bob Johnstone <bob.johnstoneReplaceThisWithAnAtSignphysics.org> wrote:
    > > : become (even more) cool. The name of the film? "The 40 Year-Old Virgin".
    > > : Oh dear.
    > >
    > > Yeah. If he'd bought a car he'd have got laid.

    > I seem to recall that being the implication of the byline of one of the
    > poster adverts.
    >
    > Colin

    Gah! When will they 'get it' that cycling is sexy, think: muscular
    shaved cyclists legs, fit in more ways than one, not to mention all
    that talk of shiny helmets, lubricants, rubber, etc.

  6. Blonde wrote:

    > Gah! When will they 'get it' that cycling is sexy, think: muscular
    > shaved cyclists legs, fit in more ways than one, not to mention all
    > that talk of shiny helmets, lubricants, rubber, etc.

    Not forgetting whips, nipples and pumping.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Blonde wrote:

    > Gah! When will they 'get it' that cycling is sexy, think: muscular
    > shaved cyclists legs, fit in more ways than one, not to mention all
    > that talk of shiny helmets, lubricants, rubber, etc.

    One look at all the baggy old lycra sported at the York Cycle Rally
    knocks that image on the head

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  8. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Bob Johnstone <bob.johnstoneReplaceThisWithAnAtSignphysics.org> wrote:

    : That's true, but the trailer shows a couple clearly enjoying themselves
    : on the tandem. I suppose we'll have to watch the film to find out
    : whether the bicycles are babe-magnets or nerd-accessories.

    Somehow I don't think I'll need to watch the film to guess which way
    it pans out.

    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Bob Johnstone wrote:
    > I've just watched the trailer to an American film I saw advertised on
    > the side of a bus. The star of the film is shown riding both a upright
    > bike and a recumbent tandem. Perhaps the dark side is breaking into
    > mainstream cinema (and not just Star Wars) and recumbent cycles will
    > become (even more) cool. The name of the film? "The 40 Year-Old Virgin".
    > Oh dear.

    Unable to concentrate on real work as a student is currently being
    viva'd (4hours and counting)
    I came across http://www.ridewiththeo.com/

    ...d

  10. erics

    erics Guest

    "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Unable to concentrate on real work as a student is currently being
    > viva'd (4hours and counting)

    brings back memories ... hope they get on okay.

  11. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    erics wrote:
    > "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >

    > > Unable to concentrate on real work as a student is currently being
    > > viva'd (4hours and counting)

    > brings back memories ... hope they get on okay.

    Made it through OK. Much champagne has been consumed..

    ...d

  12. David Martin wrote:
    > erics wrote:
    >> "David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>

    >>> Unable to concentrate on real work as a student is currently being
    >>> viva'd (4hours and counting)

    >> brings back memories ... hope they get on okay.

    > Made it through OK. Much champagne has been consumed..

    Excellent. I imagine your concentration's gone right up.
    --
    Ambrose

  13. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:02:09 -0700, David Martin wrote:

    >> brings back memories ... hope they get on okay.

    > Made it through OK. Much champagne has been consumed..

    Congratulations to the newly minted Dr.
    Pissed, Homeless and Desperate

    ps. don't have the right decoder to play that site on Linux.
    Would be interesting - as the group knows I used to live in Geneva.

  14. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:29:13 +0100, John Hearns wrote:

    > Congratulations to the newly minted Dr. Pissed, Homeless and Desperate

    That came out without a line break.
    Congratulations to the newly minted Doctor.

    The second line was a weak joke.

  15. John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
    | Congratulations to the newly minted Dr.

    Hm. I hadn't thought of serving them with mint sauce.
    (I'm meant to be reading two theses at present...)