Recumbent team leading RAAM race

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.nevrona.com/raamstats/report.aspx?report=Race-
> Position
>
> There you have it. If you look at last years results
>
> http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/riders2003/race-
> position.htm
>
> Then it would appear that everybody rides much harder when
> they are
chasing
> down recumbents. Too bad bents are ruled out of time
> trials now, because
it
> looks like an easy way to add 2-3 mph to your ride if
> you send a couple bents off the front to play chase the
> the rabbit.

Why would recumbents be any different than riders on
conventional bikes to focus on chasing?

That's a good question Carl. It just seems like the teams
are moving a lot faster this year over basically the same
course. Of course, lots of things, such as the weather for
instance, could also factor in. However, since there was no
HPV team to chase last year, it makes me wonder.

Maybe team Vail Go Fast were all riding mountain bikes last
year and switched to road bikes this year. . . .

John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 00:40:02 GMT, "derek"
> <[email protected]> wrote:

> >http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/riders2003/rac-
> >eposition.htm

> That webpage is 280K. Amazing.

From it,

meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0"

Why am I not surprised.

It's so huge because every single stinking table entry has
two nearly identical lines of code which try to specify the
font, style, size, color, and what the font designer had for
lunch last Tuesday. Of course the whole point of HTML is
that the page designer doesn't need to specify all that
****. Thanks, Mickeysoft!

BTW, that table is the race results for 2003, so it's
entirely irrelevant to this thread - I assume all the 2003
racers have finished by now.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> Why would recumbents be any different than riders on
> conventional bikes to focus on chasing?

The thrill of passing the smug little bent risers is so much
greater than that of passing someone normal.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply

"Tim Lines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Carl Sundquist wrote:
>
> > Why would recumbents be any different than riders on
> > conventional bikes
> > focus on chasing?
>
> The thrill of passing the smug little bent risers is so
> much greater than that of passing someone normal.

Because they can see you approaching in their mirrors?

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.nevrona.com/raamstats/report.aspx?report=Race-
> Position
>
> There you have it. If you look at last years results
>
> http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/riders2003/race-
> position.htm
>
> Then it would appear that everybody rides much harder when
> they are
chasing
> down recumbents. Too bad bents are ruled out of time
> trials now, because
it
> looks like an easy way to add 2-3 mph to your ride if
> you send a couple bents off the front to play chase the
> the rabbit.

Yes, too bad bents can't be used in time trials. I'm sure
they'd do well on the Alpe de Huez stage this year.

Bob C.

In article <[email protected]>, "derek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.nevrona.com/raamstats/report.aspx?report=Race-
> Position
>
> There you have it. If you look at last years results
>
> http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/riders2003/race-
> position.htm
>
> Then it would appear that everybody rides much harder when
> they are chasing down recumbents. Too bad bents are ruled
> out of time trials now, because it looks like an easy way
> to add 2-3 mph to your ride if you send a couple bents off
> the front to play chase the the rabbit.

While that final statement might be valid for Pro/1/2
racers in a standard USAC TT, you'll have to explain how it
relates to RAAM

All teams in RAAM start a day after solo riders.

I've witnessed some of the faster riders turn in
significantly faster splits as the teams go by, but solo vs
team interaction is forbidden, there is no drafting between
teams and solos, and no one (support crew or otherwise) is
allowed to ride within sight of a solo rider - so the
"rabbit" idea is a stretch.

Cool animated crossing map for RAAM 2003:
http://www.caida.org/~dmoore/raam2003/

Cool animated crossing map for RAAM 2204
http://www.caida.org/~dmoore/raam2004/

BTW - RAAM 2004 is predicted to finish on Saturday, the 27th
of June 2004.

Mike G. -

----------
Mike Gladu, Cycling Photojournalist, Infinite HangTime
Photography Honda '82 CB900F, '84 XR200R,
'70/'71/'80/'81/'82/'83 C70 Passport Honda '86 VT500C, '97
Dream 50, Husqvarna '84 510TE, BMW '74 R60/5 Passport/C70
info: http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html

Mike,

Let's see what happens when the bent team hits the hills of
W. Virginia coming up soon. My guess is that although the
Lightning team has a 100 mile or so lead, when the hills
come, the upright teams will take heart as they get reports
they are gaining on the bents. They will pour it on to try
to reel the bent team in as they struggle in the hills to
keep thier average speed up.

If it was an upright team with a 100 mile lead, the
following teams would probably just let them go. But the
bents relative weakness in the hills will be a temptation to
ratchet things up for the following teams

"Mike Gladu" <[email protected]> wrote in message

(snip)
> While that final statement might be valid for Pro/1/2
> racers in a standard USAC TT, you'll have to explain how
> it relates to RAAM
(snip)

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > http://www.nevrona.com/raamstats/report.aspx?report=Rac-
> > ePosition
> >
> > There you have it. If you look at last years results
> >
> > http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam2003/riders2003/ra-
> > ceposition.htm
> >
> > Then it would appear that everybody rides much harder
> > when they are
> chasing
> > down recumbents. Too bad bents are ruled out of time
> > trials now,
because
> it
> > looks like an easy way to add 2-3 mph to your ride if
> > you send a couple bents off the front to play chase the
> > the rabbit.
> >

> Yes, too bad bents can't be used in time trials. I'm sure
> they'd do well
on
> the Alpe de Huez stage this year.
>
> Bob C.