Recumbent times, they are a changing

Mike S

Guest
For years on our local supported rides in and around St. Louis I found myself to be either the lone
recumbent rider or perhaps there was one other. On April 13, the Spring Chicken ride was held in and
around Libory, Illinois. I brought my Barcroft Virginia, my wife her Gold Rush, as we left the
Columbia tandem at home. Well, surprise of surprises, on the ride with us were (drum roll) a Rocket,
a Giro, an EZ-1 and......an Optima Lynx. Not only a total of six recumbents, but six different
recumbents. What a neat deal at the rest stops talking about our bikes, not just amongst ourselves
but with the upwrongs as well. If this is what is going on in provincial St. Louis, then the times
really are changing for the better.

mike s wrote:

> For years on our local supported rides in and around St. Louis I found myself to be either the
> lone recumbent rider or perhaps there was one other. On April 13, the Spring Chicken ride was held
> in and around Libory, Illinois. I brought my Barcroft Virginia, my wife her Gold Rush, as we left
> the Columbia tandem at home. Well, surprise of surprises, on the ride with us were (drum roll) a
> Rocket, a Giro, an EZ-1 and......an Optima Lynx. Not only a total of six recumbents, but six
> different recumbents. What a neat deal at the rest stops talking about our bikes, not just amongst
> ourselves but with the upwrongs as well. If this is what is going on in provincial St. Louis, then
> the times really are changing for the better.

On the Folks on Spokes Easter ride [1], I counted the following:

An Ed Gin led lowracer paceline with Ed (Festina with ISO 622-mm rear wheel), Larry (Razz-Fazz
w/tailbox, Gary (Baron) and Keith (Baron
w/Optima clone tailbox).

Earl on his GRR with US flag theme bodysock and Louis Garneau aero helmet.

A Rotator Pursuit and RANS V^2 with a plush rabbit tail fairing.

Bill on a V-Rex.

Wendy on a Stealth w/coroplast tailbox [2] and Barb on a Velokraft that was so light I was afraid it
might blow away while it was parked. [3]

Unidentified (by me) riders on a RANS Stratus, Easy Racers Gold Rush, Trek R-200, Sun EZ-2 tandem,
"Double Vision", BikeE, Cannondale Recumbent, RANS Tailwind, and a Hypercycle (or Hypercycle clone).

Prof. Smith and S/O on a Green Gear/Bike Friday DoubleDay.

Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM] No. 3.

[1] Far south Chicago suburbs.
[2] Until the Velogenesis lowracer arrives.
[3] Which some silly person insisted on holding over his head with one hand.

"Tom Sherman" skrev

> [3] Which some silly person insisted on holding over his head with one hand.

Damn. I haven't done that yet. Thanks for the reminder.

M.

mike s <[email protected]> wrote:
: Rush, as we left the Columbia tandem at home. Well, surprise of surprises, on the ride with us
: were (drum roll) a Rocket, a Giro, an EZ-1 and......an Optima Lynx. Not only a total of six
: recumbents, but six different recumbents. What a neat deal at the rest stops talking

And only twenty years ago there probably was none! Think about it...

[email protected] (mike s) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> For years on our local supported rides in and around St. Louis I found myself to be either the
> lone recumbent rider or perhaps there was one other. On April 13, the Spring Chicken ride was held
> in and around Libory, Illinois. I brought my Barcroft Virginia, my wife her Gold Rush, as we left
> the Columbia tandem at home. Well, surprise of surprises, on the ride with us were (drum roll) a
> Rocket, a Giro, an EZ-1 and......an Optima Lynx. Not only a total of six recumbents, but six
> different recumbents. What a neat deal at the rest stops talking about our bikes, not just amongst
> ourselves but with the upwrongs as well. If this is what is going on in provincial St. Louis, then
> the times really are changing for the better.

Quite a few more 'bents around here, but I still cannot get the correct tire size here. And since
BikeE quit, none are sold in this county but Taiwan imports. I am glad for the wise people turning
away from "pied piper" K-Mart bikes.

Looking forward to a growing market (within my lifetime!) and a fun recreation for more people.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

"mike s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For years on our local supported rides in and around St. Louis I found myself to be either the
> lone recumbent rider or perhaps there was one other. On April 13, the Spring Chicken ride was held
> in and around Libory, Illinois. I brought my Barcroft Virginia, my wife her Gold Rush, as we left
> the Columbia tandem at home. Well, surprise of surprises, on the ride with us were (drum roll) a
> Rocket, a Giro, an EZ-1 and......an Optima Lynx. Not only a total of six recumbents, but six
> different recumbents. What a neat deal at the rest stops talking about our bikes, not just amongst
> ourselves but with the upwrongs as well. If this is what is going on in provincial St. Louis, then
> the times really are changing for the better.

Ever wonder if maybe the reason is at one time or another they saw you riding and decided that type
of bike was the way to go? You could have started a trend in your area :)

Funny you should mention that because on Sunday I saw a Vision ,then today a Burley and a an Easy
racer .3 in a day and a half,sometimes i would go for weeks at a time in the springfield ,IL area
news:[email protected]...

Ben Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
: Funny you should mention that because on Sunday I saw a Vision ,then today a Burley and a an Easy
: racer .3 in a day and a half,sometimes i would go for weeks at a time in the springfield ,IL area
: and not see any. Ben Fox

Here it's more like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I wonder if people reflect back on what they
saw, do they dare to tell their friends or would those just think they have gone wacko.

Things are changing, though :) Our nation-wide society now has almost 80 members, over 10%
annual growth.