Recumbent Trailers....

Rick Taylor

Guest
Does anyone have an opinion or a personal preference about bike
trailers for recumbents ???. I was considering buying one for my RANS
Rocket, in order to do some camping this summer.... So far I've only
looked at the B.O.B. Yak Plus... Any help would be appreciated....

I bought a kit trailer from http://www.bikerev.com/. I put a dog kennel
on top to haul my pup around behind my rans rocket. I was very pleased
with the trailer. The hitch works well, but I did have to do a little
grinding (acutally a lot) to clear some interferences on the rocket
bottom bracket attachments.

My second choice was the burley flatbed. It sells for $199. I was
concerned that the 1-wheel trailers might have some problems with the
rocket based on some other posts on the internet.

Sometimes the owner of that company sells his stuff on ebay.

Best of luck,
Matt.

[email protected] wrote:

> I bought a kit trailer from http://www.bikerev.com/. I put a dog kennel
> on top to haul my pup around behind my rans rocket. I was very pleased
> with the trailer. The hitch works well, but I did have to do a little
> grinding (acutally a lot) to clear some interferences on the rocket
> bottom bracket attachments.

???

I have a hard time imagining attaching a trailer tongue to the bottom
bracket area of a RANS Rocket. From the website it appears that the
tongue attached at the rear dropouts?

> My second choice was the burley flatbed. It sells for $199. I was
> concerned that the 1-wheel trailers might have some problems with the
> rocket based on some other posts on the internet....

The only problem I could see would be getting too much weight on the
rear wheel, and this would only happen with a tall rider. Otherwise the
Rocket would be one of the best bikes to pull a single wheel trailer
since it has small and stiff rear triangle that will resist torsional
forces well.

I would not pull a single wheel trailer that attaches at the dropouts
with a suspended bike/trike or one without a triangulated rear end (e.g.
Haluzak Horizon).

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

I've used a BicycleR Evolution trailer for a number of years, mostly on a
Bike Friday and a bit on a Ryan lwb. It is rugged, exceptionally versatile,
and has been trouble free. I'm glad to hear it works well on your Rocket.

skip

Have you looked at the Burleys? Pretty solid trailers, and they can
haul a lot of stuff. And the side by side wheels make them pretty
stable. http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/

I personally prefer not to use trailers when touring. A trailer can
turn into too much of a hassle if you have to carry the bike up or down
any steps, get into buildings, get into boats or trains, and so on.

Joan:

I've toured a bit with the two wheeled BicycleR trailer and don't find it
to be a hassle at all. Disconnect it from the bike and the trailer is far
less trouble to maneuver around than the bike itself, especially a
recumbent. Off the bike the trailer pulls easily by its yoke, goes in
buildings, in elevators, up or down stairs, through doors, sits straight up,
can be locked, and stored in a closet. I've taken it on a boat and will do
so again later on this month along with a quick folded Bike Friday. The
Friday in its bag is a bit unwieldy to lug around, but the trailer is a
piece of cake. However I can see all this could be a real hassle with a one
wheel trailer, but then I've never used one of those.

skip

Sorry about the typo on your name Joao. My spell checker said it should be
Joan and I hit change by mistake. I'm glad I noticed and got to it before
Tom had a chance to see it.

skip

Sorry about the typo on your name Joao. My spell checker said it should be
Joan and I hit change by mistake. I'm glad I noticed and got to it before
Tom had a chance to see it.

skip
I'm just glad you got to it before P*rry B*tler saw it and who knows what conclusions could have been reached.As far as trailers go, I picked up an Equinox off of e-bay and towed it behind my V-rex.These are well built trailers that carry up to 150 lbs. The V-rex has a hub motor on it so I was able to tow the Equinox at 20mpg with no problems.

Endless discussion on this topic over the years including lots of
pannier vs trailer observations. I think you can read or download at
least two in-depth articles at Adventure Cycling. Search the library
for "trailer." The focus, of course, is all on uprights but the general
advice and comparisons are easily adapted to recumbents.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/

Editorially: I pulled a trailer for many years with my mountain bikes.
I prefer underseat panniers on my TE.

david boise ID