Recumbent Trailers....

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rick Taylor, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Rick Taylor

    Rick Taylor Guest

    Does anyone have an opinion or a personal preference about bike
    trailers for recumbents ???. I was considering buying one for my RANS
    Rocket, in order to do some camping this summer.... So far I've only
    looked at the B.O.B. Yak Plus... Any help would be appreciated....

    Tags:

  2. I bought a kit trailer from http://www.bikerev.com/. I put a dog kennel
    on top to haul my pup around behind my rans rocket. I was very pleased
    with the trailer. The hitch works well, but I did have to do a little
    grinding (acutally a lot) to clear some interferences on the rocket
    bottom bracket attachments.

    My second choice was the burley flatbed. It sells for $199. I was
    concerned that the 1-wheel trailers might have some problems with the
    rocket based on some other posts on the internet.

    Sometimes the owner of that company sells his stuff on ebay.

    Best of luck,
    Matt.

    Rick Taylor wrote:
    > Does anyone have an opinion or a personal preference about bike
    > trailers for recumbents ???. I was considering buying one for my RANS
    > Rocket, in order to do some camping this summer.... So far I've only
    > looked at the B.O.B. Yak Plus... Any help would be appreciated....

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I bought a kit trailer from http://www.bikerev.com/. I put a dog kennel
    > on top to haul my pup around behind my rans rocket. I was very pleased
    > with the trailer. The hitch works well, but I did have to do a little
    > grinding (acutally a lot) to clear some interferences on the rocket
    > bottom bracket attachments.

    ???

    I have a hard time imagining attaching a trailer tongue to the bottom
    bracket area of a RANS Rocket. From the website it appears that the
    tongue attached at the rear dropouts?

    > My second choice was the burley flatbed. It sells for $199. I was
    > concerned that the 1-wheel trailers might have some problems with the
    > rocket based on some other posts on the internet....

    The only problem I could see would be getting too much weight on the
    rear wheel, and this would only happen with a tall rider. Otherwise the
    Rocket would be one of the best bikes to pull a single wheel trailer
    since it has small and stiff rear triangle that will resist torsional
    forces well.

    I would not pull a single wheel trailer that attaches at the dropouts
    with a suspended bike/trike or one without a triangulated rear end (e.g.
    Haluzak Horizon).

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth

  4. I've used a BicycleR Evolution trailer for a number of years, mostly on a
    Bike Friday and a bit on a Ryan lwb. It is rugged, exceptionally versatile,
    and has been trouble free. I'm glad to hear it works well on your Rocket.

    skip

  5. Have you looked at the Burleys? Pretty solid trailers, and they can
    haul a lot of stuff. And the side by side wheels make them pretty
    stable. http://www.burley.com/products/trailers/

    I personally prefer not to use trailers when touring. A trailer can
    turn into too much of a hassle if you have to carry the bike up or down
    any steps, get into buildings, get into boats or trains, and so on.

  6. Joan:

    I've toured a bit with the two wheeled BicycleR trailer and don't find it
    to be a hassle at all. Disconnect it from the bike and the trailer is far
    less trouble to maneuver around than the bike itself, especially a
    recumbent. Off the bike the trailer pulls easily by its yoke, goes in
    buildings, in elevators, up or down stairs, through doors, sits straight up,
    can be locked, and stored in a closet. I've taken it on a boat and will do
    so again later on this month along with a quick folded Bike Friday. The
    Friday in its bag is a bit unwieldy to lug around, but the trailer is a
    piece of cake. However I can see all this could be a real hassle with a one
    wheel trailer, but then I've never used one of those.

    skip

  7. Sorry about the typo on your name Joao. My spell checker said it should be
    Joan and I hit change by mistake. I'm glad I noticed and got to it before
    Tom had a chance to see it.

    skip

  8. nget

    nget New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2004
    I'm just glad you got to it before P*rry B*tler saw it and who knows what conclusions could have been reached.As far as trailers go, I picked up an Equinox off of e-bay and towed it behind my V-rex.These are well built trailers that carry up to 150 lbs. The V-rex has a hub motor on it so I was able to tow the Equinox at 20mpg with no problems.

  9. Endless discussion on this topic over the years including lots of
    pannier vs trailer observations. I think you can read or download at
    least two in-depth articles at Adventure Cycling. Search the library
    for "trailer." The focus, of course, is all on uprights but the general
    advice and comparisons are easily adapted to recumbents.

    http://www.adventurecycling.org/

    Editorially: I pulled a trailer for many years with my mountain bikes.
    I prefer underseat panniers on my TE.

    david boise ID