Recumbent trike advice for newbie

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Kak61, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Kak61

    Kak61 Guest

    I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
    rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
    appreciated.

    I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am 43,
    5'7", 160 lbs.

    Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do email me your asking price.
    The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while the handlebars are
    under the seat.

    Thank you [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
    > rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
    > 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.

    Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

    > Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do
    email
    > me your asking price. The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while
    > the handlebars are under the seat.
    >
    > Thank you [email protected]

  3. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Um. . .none of these are trikes like the original poster asked for.

    Anyway, a good trike to check out is Catrike

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s53:

    > "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
    >> rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
    >> 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.
    >
    > Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

    those are not trikes. The Wizweelz TeraTrike and Cat Trike Speed are two of the lower priced
    "tadpole" style trikes currently for sale. I have ridden a TeraTrike and would not hesitate to buy
    one if I didn't already build my own trikes and bikes. I have no experience with the Speed.

    rorschandt

  5. Gary Mc

    Gary Mc Guest

    "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
    > rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
    > 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.

    You might check out tons of comments on the trike list achives and the trike board on Bent
    Rider on Line.

    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    I have a Greenspeed with the Dual Drive that I find quite useful on hills. Alas, the falling $ rate
    are driving up the price of new Greenspeeds and probably used as well.

    http://www.greenspeed.com.au/

    A few American trikes that are hot right now are Hell Bent Trikes,Catrike and WizWheelz Terra Trike.
    For me Catrike and Terra TRike are lacking in low enough gearing for very hilly rides but you might
    have more strength than myself. (58, 5'5", 165lbs). Terra Trike probably has the largest used
    market. Hellbent trikes look really interesting, but I doubt if there is much out there used.

    http://www.wizwheelz.com/

  6. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    Sorry I interpreted "trike" as "bike"

    My bad

    From: "rorschandt" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Recumbent trike advice for newbie
    Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 6:16 AM

  7. "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]_s53>...
    > "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
    > > rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
    > > 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.
    >
    > Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

    ! !!!!!!!! !
    GEE! I didn't know RANS, Vision, or Haluzak made very many trikes. I learn more every day.

    > > Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do
    > email
    > > me your asking price. The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while
    > > the handlebars are under the seat.

    I have to make room for my second Catrike Speed, so will sell ONE of these: IE Systems Slingshot
    Landstrider Sports Optima Rider (all tadpoles, rear wheel drive, underseat steering.)

    $1500, for 1 trike (of course; I could sell all 3 for $4500., but I know myself too well- I would go
    out and buy 3 more trikes!)

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

    > > Thank you [email protected]

  8. Mick

    Mick Guest

    You might want to consider an Organic Engines Triclops. I have one and love it. It's about $500
    higher than the other models, but is very flexible and comfortable. A friend enjoyed mine so much he
    just bought one for himself this past weekend.

    BentMick

  9. > Hellbent trikes look really interesting, but I doubt if there is much out there used.

    Actually, we have a few demos for sale. We have a metalic Red Spitfire ST that is finishing a review
    up in NY. It comes complete with mirror, deluxe mirror mount (can mount water bottle and computer
    too), fenders (front and rear), three bottle holders and flag w/carbon fiber pole. As new with these
    options, this trike sales for $3,667. Sale price is $3,250.

    We have a metalic blue Spitfire ST that has silver rims/spokes and does not have a rear disc mount.
    Since we switched to black rims and spokes, we are offering this trike at $200 off at a sale price
    of only $3295.

    We also have a metalic Red Spitfire RS complete with mirror, deluxe mirror mount, two water bottle
    holders, flag w/carbon fiber pole and a Delta rack. This trike is finishing a review in the LA, CA
    area. As new, this trike retails for $4,215 Sale price for this demo is $3,900

    Last, I am selling my personal pre-production Spitfire that has been fully restored.

    For further information see our website at http://www.hellbentcycles.com

    Regards,

    Rick Horwitz Hellbent Cycles Inc.

  10. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Christopher Jordan wrote:

    > GEE! I didn't know RANS, Vision, or Haluzak made very many trikes. I learn more every day....

    Haluzak makes one trike model, and RANS used to build sailtrikes.
    <http://www.haluzak.com/products/triumf.htm>.

    Tom Sherman - Planet Earth