Recumbent trike advice for newbie

Kak61

Guest
I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
appreciated.

I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am 43,
5'7", 160 lbs.

Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do email me your asking price.
The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while the handlebars are
under the seat.

Thank you [email protected]

"kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
> rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
> 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.

Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

> Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do
email
> me your asking price. The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while
> the handlebars are under the seat.
>
> Thank you [email protected]

Originally posted by Mark Leuck
Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

Um. . .none of these are trikes like the original poster asked for.

Anyway, a good trike to check out is Catrike

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in

> "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
>> rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
>> 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.
>
> Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

those are not trikes. The Wizweelz TeraTrike and Cat Trike Speed are two of the lower priced
"tadpole" style trikes currently for sale. I have ridden a TeraTrike and would not hesitate to buy
one if I didn't already build my own trikes and bikes. I have no experience with the Speed.

rorschandt

"kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
> rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
> 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.

You might check out tons of comments on the trike list achives and the trike board on Bent
Rider on Line.

http://www.bentrideronline.com/

I have a Greenspeed with the Dual Drive that I find quite useful on hills. Alas, the falling $ rate
are driving up the price of new Greenspeeds and probably used as well.

http://www.greenspeed.com.au/

A few American trikes that are hot right now are Hell Bent Trikes,Catrike and WizWheelz Terra Trike.
For me Catrike and Terra TRike are lacking in low enough gearing for very hilly rides but you might
have more strength than myself. (58, 5'5", 165lbs). Terra Trike probably has the largest used
market. Hellbent trikes look really interesting, but I doubt if there is much out there used.

http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Sorry I interpreted "trike" as "bike"

My bad

From: "rorschandt" <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Recumbent trike advice for newbie
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 6:16 AM

"Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<eayBb.351159$275.1155858@attbi_s53>...
> "kak61" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I ride my road bicycle about 100 miles a week. I am seriously considering getting a used, single-
> > rider recumbent trike. Any advice or comments for a brand new newbie rider would be much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > I plan to use it for short errands and Sunday rides of about 50 miles on quite hilly roads. I am
> > 43, 5'7", 160 lbs.
>
> Vision R44 RANS Tailwind (note the caps Tom) Haluzak Horizon

! !!!!!!!! !
GEE! I didn't know RANS, Vision, or Haluzak made very many trikes. I learn more every day.

> > Also, if you have a used, reasonably good condition trike for sale, do
> email
> > me your asking price. The trike should have two front wheels and a chain driven rear wheel while
> > the handlebars are under the seat.

I have to make room for my second Catrike Speed, so will sell ONE of these: IE Systems Slingshot
Landstrider Sports Optima Rider (all tadpoles, rear wheel drive, underseat steering.)

$1500, for 1 trike (of course; I could sell all 3 for $4500., but I know myself too well- I would go
out and buy 3 more trikes!)

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

> > Thank you [email protected]

You might want to consider an Organic Engines Triclops. I have one and love it. It's about $500
higher than the other models, but is very flexible and comfortable. A friend enjoyed mine so much he
just bought one for himself this past weekend.

BentMick

> Hellbent trikes look really interesting, but I doubt if there is much out there used.

Actually, we have a few demos for sale. We have a metalic Red Spitfire ST that is finishing a review
up in NY. It comes complete with mirror, deluxe mirror mount (can mount water bottle and computer
too), fenders (front and rear), three bottle holders and flag w/carbon fiber pole. As new with these
options, this trike sales for $3,667. Sale price is $3,250.

We have a metalic blue Spitfire ST that has silver rims/spokes and does not have a rear disc mount.
Since we switched to black rims and spokes, we are offering this trike at $200 off at a sale price
of only $3295.

We also have a metalic Red Spitfire RS complete with mirror, deluxe mirror mount, two water bottle
holders, flag w/carbon fiber pole and a Delta rack. This trike is finishing a review in the LA, CA
area. As new, this trike retails for $4,215 Sale price for this demo is $3,900

Last, I am selling my personal pre-production Spitfire that has been fully restored.

For further information see our website at http://www.hellbentcycles.com

Regards,

Rick Horwitz Hellbent Cycles Inc.