Recumbent/trike connection

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dennis, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    This may sound bizarre, but has anyone tried to connect a recumbent to the back of a delta trike? I
    have a EZ sport LTD, and we're thinking about a trike for my wife. We have an upright tandem that we
    love, but I can't ride comfortably anymore. I've seen how delta trikes are connected to one another,
    why not hook my Sport to the back of a trike when we want to ride together?

    I'm open to any suggestions.

    Peace, Dennis

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Dennis) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > This may sound bizarre, but has anyone tried to connect a recumbent to the back of a delta trike?
    > I have a EZ sport LTD, and we're thinking about a trike for my wife. We have an upright tandem
    > that we love, but I can't ride comfortably anymore. I've seen how delta trikes are connected to
    > one another, why not hook my Sport to the back of a trike when we want to ride together?
    >
    > I'm open to any suggestions.
    >
    > Peace, Dennis

    When delta trikes are connected together vis-a-vis Kettweisels
    http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/lb_ketttandem.jpg there's usually a pivot that allows
    the rear trike to twist in relation to the front trike, so a two-wheeler in the rear would simply
    fall over.

    You could fabricate a hitch, but it would still have to have a pivot to let the "tandem" bend in the
    fore-and-aft plane. (Remember, you now have a four-wheeler: one front, two middle, and one rear.)
    I'd be worried about having all that weight on the EZ-Sport high and to the rear wanting to flip the
    whole shebang in any kind of corner. It flat-out sounds scary to me.

    I think you should break down and get you and your wife Kettweisels. I've watched Keith and Alex
    Kohan ( http://tinyurl.com/2cuma ) ride their Ketts at several races and rides and they always have
    a blast, no matter who's in front.

    Jeff

  3. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    Options galor:

    1) lsn't it be easeir to do it the other way around?
    remove the delta front tire, attache the fork to the bent rear at the droppouts.
    Or
    2) tadpole in front, same connection.

    OR
    3) Bent trailer
    http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/rectrailer.htm
    OR
    4) Trail-gator
    http://www.trail-gator.com/

    Or

    5) http://members.efn.org/~cat/html/trihaul.htm
    Put a bent in the recumbent delta trike's 1/3 ton capacity cargo bed

    or

    6) http://www.a-v-d.com/stablemate.htm
    a quad, but you could still put a bent on the bed

    or
    7) (actually siameese rather than tandem) and not sure if it would work trike to bike
    http://www.thegrannybike.com/index.html