Recumbent/trike connection

Dennis

Guest
This may sound bizarre, but has anyone tried to connect a recumbent to the back of a delta trike? I
have a EZ sport LTD, and we're thinking about a trike for my wife. We have an upright tandem that we
love, but I can't ride comfortably anymore. I've seen how delta trikes are connected to one another,
why not hook my Sport to the back of a trike when we want to ride together?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Peace, Dennis

[email protected] (Dennis) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This may sound bizarre, but has anyone tried to connect a recumbent to the back of a delta trike?
> I have a EZ sport LTD, and we're thinking about a trike for my wife. We have an upright tandem
> that we love, but I can't ride comfortably anymore. I've seen how delta trikes are connected to
> one another, why not hook my Sport to the back of a trike when we want to ride together?
>
> I'm open to any suggestions.
>
> Peace, Dennis

When delta trikes are connected together vis-a-vis Kettweisels
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/lb_ketttandem.jpg there's usually a pivot that allows
the rear trike to twist in relation to the front trike, so a two-wheeler in the rear would simply
fall over.

You could fabricate a hitch, but it would still have to have a pivot to let the "tandem" bend in the
fore-and-aft plane. (Remember, you now have a four-wheeler: one front, two middle, and one rear.)
I'd be worried about having all that weight on the EZ-Sport high and to the rear wanting to flip the
whole shebang in any kind of corner. It flat-out sounds scary to me.

I think you should break down and get you and your wife Kettweisels. I've watched Keith and Alex
Kohan ( http://tinyurl.com/2cuma ) ride their Ketts at several races and rides and they always have
a blast, no matter who's in front.

Jeff

Originally posted by Dennis
This may sound bizarre, but has anyone tried to connect a recumbent to the back of a delta trike? I
have a EZ sport LTD, and we're thinking about a trike for my wife. We have an upright tandem that we
love, but I can't ride comfortably anymore. I've seen how delta trikes are connected to one another,
why not hook my Sport to the back of a trike when we want to ride together?

I'm open to any suggestions.

Peace, Dennis

Options galor:

1) lsn't it be easeir to do it the other way around?
remove the delta front tire, attache the fork to the bent rear at the droppouts.
Or
2) tadpole in front, same connection.

OR
3) Bent trailer
http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/rectrailer.htm
OR
4) Trail-gator
http://www.trail-gator.com/

Or

5) http://members.efn.org/~cat/html/trihaul.htm
Put a bent in the recumbent delta trike's 1/3 ton capacity cargo bed

or

6) http://www.a-v-d.com/stablemate.htm
a quad, but you could still put a bent on the bed

or
7) (actually siameese rather than tandem) and not sure if it would work trike to bike
http://www.thegrannybike.com/index.html