Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

>Artemisia wrote:
>> From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
>> the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.
>>
>> I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
>> Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
>> it all go?...

>I have an older version of this mount on the derailer [1] mast of a SWB
>recumbent [2] - it should work on any trike with such a mast:
><http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300>.
>This has room for two lights, or a light and a cyclometer.

This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
comes with a plain front end.

http://www.zoxbikes.com/main/sco_orange_tour_links_frei.jpg

There is what looks like a lumotec oval mounted on the boom.

I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
wants the computer wotsit real estate.

Also looking at the HPvelo price list
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shopping/preisliste_scorpionfx_e.html
there are lights, bottles and airzounds listed so they must know where
they go.

Phil Cook wrote:

> This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
> equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
> comes with a plain front end.

> I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
> wants the computer wotsit real estate.

I would think that should be easy enough, as other Scorpions have a
front derailleur option and thus a boom with a stalk is a standard part
for the machine.

> Also looking at the HPvelo price list
> http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shopping/preisliste_scorpionfx_e.html
> there are lights, bottles and airzounds listed so they must know where
> they go.

On HPVel bikes lamps mount via a braze-on at the head of the boom. This
is no trouble if you're using a lamp designed for mounting like the B&M
dynamo lamps HPVel supply themselves, but it's no use if you want to use
something that just clips onto a handlebar.

This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
illuminated riding at all.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

In article <[email protected]>, Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
>Alan Braggins wrote:
>>> That's one nice feature of Catrike's range - they've put a small
>>> horizontal extension onto the front deraileur post to mount stuff on.

>> Yesterday at Mildenhall I saw a Trice with a stem mounted on the
>> derailleur post. It didn't have a handlebar in, but had a replacement
>> clamp with a short bar to put lights on (I've seen those elsewhere,
>> but can't find one online right now - ...

>Like this:
><http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300>?

No, and I don't know if the Trice or Scorpion posts would take a quill
type fitting like that - it was a threadless type stem on the one I saw,
clamped around the post rather than in the end.

"Artemisia" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I've been googling all the options in turn, and have finally
> discovered what "standlight" means! I wish someone had
> told me about that when I paid all the extra to get a hub
> dynamo on Behemoth.

Ahem!

http://groups.google.fr/group/rec.bicycles.misc/msg/4a4a7e55807e0ea9?hl=fr

"Some dynamo headlamps (Lumotec 'Standlicht' models, for
example) incorporate a capacitor that powers an integrated
LED light when the bike is stationary."

James Thomson

On 29 août, 08:01, Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
> equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
> comes with a plain front end.

Thanks for catching that. I'm so dazzled by all this science I didn't
even notice. Yes, SRAM Dualdrive, but also a front shifter since I
want all 81 gears. Don't know what it looks like, though.

> I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
> wants the computer wotsit real estate.

I'll be speaking to my dealer this weekend to sort all these options
out.

Thanks,

EFR
Ile de France

On 29 août, 08:57, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trice with a roll bar!! ;-)

That's smart - must make it much easier to walk. Puts me in mind of a
supermarket trolley, though. (And not much use for Airzound, computer,
etc....)

EFR
Ile de France

Artemisia wrote:
> On 29 août, 08:01, Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
>> equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
>> comes with a plain front end.

> Thanks for catching that. I'm so dazzled by all this science I didn't
> even notice. Yes, SRAM Dualdrive, but also a front shifter since I
> want all 81 gears. Don't know what it looks like, though.

If you have a front shifter you will have a derailleur post.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote in news:1188382387.620741.23610@
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

> That's smart - must make it much easier to walk. Puts me in mind of a
> supermarket trolley, though. (And not much use for Airzound, computer,
> etc....)

Computer (wireless) could fit on the left mirror stalk with the transmitter
on the left wheel; airzound on right mirror stalk (scroll down
http://home.comcast.net/~vulcan751/toys.html to see how one owner's done
it)

WRT the etc... brakes, shifters, and mirrors as per standard fit.

HTH,

--
Geoff

Geoff Lane wrote:
> Artemisia <[email protected]> wrote in news:46d1c4b6$0$427
> [email protected]:
>

>> From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
>>the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.
>>
>>I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
>>Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
>>it all go?

> From the ICE website, the following link is one Trice T owner's solution:
>
> http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/images/trikes/t/owners_images/pages/chips_t.htm
>
> Perhaps a bit extreme for most!

For my Anthrotech I bodged a double bar across the top using coppper
heating pipes and connectors. Bit pikey, but does the job.

Peter Clinch, the Most August Medical Physics IT Officer [1], wrote:
> This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
> dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
> illuminated riding at all.

butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole? Does anyone make a
rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

[1] alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent joke for Mr. Ed.
[2] Gratuitous gdanielsism.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

In article <[email protected]>, Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
>Peter Clinch, the Most August Medical Physics IT Officer [1], wrote:
>> This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
>> dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
>> illuminated riding at all.

>butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole?

On http://www.hpvelotechnik.de/shopping/preisliste_scorpion_e.html
tick the box labelled "light system SON hub dynamo, sensor standlight,
oneside mount".
Not so simple for other tadpoles, since AIUI the one-sided SON is
specific to the Scorpion hub design, but Peter said "on HPVels".

> Does anyone make a
>rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

Yes, Shimano do. It's designed for their electric auto shifting system,
and produces less power than a standard dynamo, but is (reportedly) capable
of driving an LED light at reasonable brightness.

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

> butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole? Does anyone make a
> rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

No, but Schmidt make a single sided mount one for your choice of front
wheel that is available as a standard option on the HPVel Scorpion.
Quite a recent development, but now a Real & Shipping product.

Could well be the case that the wheel mount system isn't universal so
won't necessarily work on any given tadpole, but since the prospective
owner here is getting a Scorpion it's definitely not a problem for her.

Pete.
--

James Thomson wrote:

> "Some dynamo headlamps (Lumotec 'Standlicht' models, for
> example) incorporate a capacitor that powers an integrated
> LED light when the bike is stationary."

OK, so you did tell me, James. Stop taking things so personally. I
should have been more directive and lucid when I ordered the bike. But
you see I'm taking extra care this time.

By the way, nice to hear from you. How's things? Will I see you at the
Mondial des Deux Roues at the end of September?

EFR
Ile de France

"Artemisia" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Stop taking things so personally.

Good idea! I'll stop beating my wife too.

> By the way, nice to hear from you. How's things?

Oh, as ever. Yourself?

> Will I see you at the Mondial des Deux Roues at the
> end of September?

I haven't made plans. Last year's was pretty uninspiring - some interesting
tyres. Maybe if Jon's interested we could combine a visit with brunch
somewhere.

James Thomson