recumbent trying and mapp gas brazing

Bob Flemming

Guest
Hi, evening..

Can anybody direct me to a shop, within reasonable distance of the Watford, North London area, that
houses a selection of recumbent bicycles that might be available for test riding, or at the very
least, accessible to just 'sit on' to give me a feel between the different types of riding positions
and modes of steering that are on offer.

Also has anybody any experience of mapp gas brazing on bicycle frames, specifically the mapp gas
that is sold in the small disposable cyclinders at plumbers merchants. I know brazing, like welding,
is an art and I stand at the starting line and don't expect prefect results without a lot of
practice, but I am getting mixed messages about whether these cylinders are going to be suitable for
the sort of frame joining I want to do. In short: will it be possible with mapp?

(Failing that I'm going to braze with an arc welder :)

One example comes to mind. This young lad <clever boy!>, mentioned mapp gas in his building journal,
and his frame clearly shows the bronze/brass brazing at the bottom of the page:

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~bkwillia/

Never realized there was so much about recumbents on the internet!!

many thanks bob (looking for a carbon arc torch)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:09:47 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can anybody direct me to a shop, within reasonable distance of the Watford, North London area, that
>houses a selection of recumbent bicycles that might be available for test riding

Bikefix is probably closest or maybe London Recumbents - but it's worth the trek out to Forest Row
to see Darth Ian at FutureCycles.

http://www.bikefix.co.uk http://www.londonrecumbents.co.uk http://www.futurecycles.co.uk

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:23:20 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:09:47 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can anybody direct me to a shop, within reasonable distance of the Watford, North London area,
>>that houses a selection of recumbent bicycles that might be available for test riding
>
>Bikefix is probably closest or maybe London Recumbents - but it's worth the trek out to Forest Row
>to see Darth Ian at FutureCycles.
>
>http://www.bikefix.co.uk http://www.londonrecumbents.co.uk http://www.futurecycles.co.uk

thanks, some nice bikes there, be very interested to try some of those!

bob

>Guy
>===
>** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
>dynamic DNS permitting)
>NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

<snip> recumbent shops in London area...
> http://www.bikefix.co.uk

For some reason the Bikefix think it is OK to significantly overcharge for the StreetMachine.

Their prices have recently gone from being in line with other shops to being quite a rip-off if you
ask me. The basic model has gone up £200 and most of the addons have gone up significantly too.

Mads

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:23:20 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:09:47 +0100, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Can anybody direct me to a shop, within reasonable distance of the Watford, North London area,
>>that houses a selection of recumbent bicycles that might be available for test riding
>
>Bikefix is probably closest or maybe London Recumbents - but it's worth the trek out to Forest Row
>to see Darth Ian at FutureCycles.

A word of warning, though. Optima don't seem to be the most reliable supplier in the world. I
ordered an Orca from Futurecycles at the beginning of March. I was originally told that it would be
six weeks for delivery. Three months later I'm still waiting. Excuses given by Optima range from
running out of seats(!) to not being able to get the to dry properly. Can't say as this has given me
much confidence in the company. Meanwhile, Ian remains hopeful in an almost Iraqi Information
Ministry-like manner and the bike will always be here next week. Definitely next week. No, we've had
a delivery in and it's here. Errm, no it's not, but it will be here real soon. <sigh>

The product may well be perfectly good, but the whole experience of dealing with them has turned
into something of a nightmare.

So, Caveat Emptor and I wish I'd gone to another shop who deals with a different manufacturer.
Challenge bikes at London Recumbents look very nice, particularly the new Mistral.
--
DG

Bah!

"Disgruntled Goat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> A word of warning, though. Optima don't seem to be the most reliable supplier in the world.

I think their manufacturing director left late last year and they've had trouble with scheduling
since. They are also in the middle of setting up a new distribution arrangement in the US (their
previous distributor, Yellowbike, went tits-up). But ICBW. There is a Very Helpful Man call
Richard Wolters (richard at optima-cycles.nl) - try asking him a direct question regarding the
delivery date.

Darth Ian is a Very Nice Man though :)

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote: [Optima]
> I think their manufacturing director left late last year and they've had trouble with scheduling
> since. They are also in the middle of setting up a new distribution arrangement in the US (their
> previous distributor, Yellowbike, went tits-up). But ICBW. There is a Very Helpful Man call
> Richard Wolters (richard at optima-cycles.nl) - try asking him a direct question regarding the
> delivery date.

From what I read they're rationalising production quite a bit, making common components and
standardisation across their (rather broad) range rather more of a feature. If they get that right,
it should help.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Challenge bikes at London Recumbents look very nice, particularly the new Mistral.

Got my Challenge Mistral....
http://www.eland.uklinux.net/storyimages/2003/seamus.jpg

from Bikefix who got it from London Recumbents who got it from Challenge.

When I ordered it they said it'd take 4 weeks.
After 6 weeks I got ratty with them and they sent me an email from Challenge explaining about supply problems due to the popularity of the bike.
Finally got the bike after 8 weeks.

On 11 Jun 2003 19:00:29 +0950, Seamus <[email protected]> wrote:

>Got my Challenge Mistral.... http://www.eland.uklinux.net/storyimages/2003/seamus.jpg
>
>from Bikefix who got it from London Recumbents who got it from Challenge.
>
>When I ordered it they said it'd take 4 weeks. After 6 weeks I got ratty with them and they sent me
>an email from Challenge explaining about supply problems due to the popularity of the bike. Finally
>got the bike after 8 weeks.

Sounds good to me. Do they do a 26/26 version suitable for Very Big Lads like me?

--
DG

Bah!

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:01:05 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Disgruntled Goat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> A word of warning, though. Optima don't seem to be the most reliable supplier in the world.
>
>I think their manufacturing director left late last year and they've had trouble with scheduling
>since. They are also in the middle of setting up a new distribution arrangement in the US (their
>previous distributor, Yellowbike, went tits-up). But ICBW.

IME of dealing with manufacturers and suppliers, it appears to me that Optima are currently showing
all the signs of following Yellowbike and going belly-up in a Very Big Way. It ain't just me that's
having problems with them.

>There is a Very Helpful Man call Richard Wolters (richard at optima-cycles.nl) - try asking him a
>direct question regarding the delivery date.

Thanks, I shall try that. Maybe he can shed some light on exactly WTFs happening as regards my bike.
Last I heard from Ian was that it would definitely be the end of this month. But I've heard that
before, too.
:-(

>Darth Ian is a Very Nice Man though :)

He seems to be a very pleasant example of **** Recumbentus, but I'm afraid that I am less than
impressed with his business skills. I wonder if there is a correlation between being a ******* and
being a good businessman....

--
DG

Bah!

Disgruntled Goat wrote:

> Sounds good to me. Do they do a 26/26 version suitable for Very Big Lads like me?

It looks like the Distance might be your
boy...http://www.challenge-ligfietsen.nl/NewChallengeBikes/distance.htm

The Flevo Racer is a 26/26 IIRC, but it's a Bit Different with FWD and steering via a hinge in the
middle of the frame. Apparently takes a while to get the hang of, but can be ridden hands free when
(if?) you do...

Disgruntled Goat wrote:

> Do they do a 26/26 version suitable for Very Big Lads like me?

How big is Very Big? If it's length you're worried about, Darth Ian had to saw a couple of inches
off the boom of Cosimo The Stealth Baron to get the pedals close enough for me, and I'm 6'3". The
Dutch are all nine feet tall, you see. Only the tallest were able to keep their heads above water
when the floods came.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
> Consider also D.Tek, at Little Thetford, near Ely. 01353 648177, [email protected]

I think a lot of people would if only they had a website...

Mads

> Consider also D.Tek, at Little Thetford, near Ely. 01353 648177, [email protected]
>
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

Good point - D.Tek is about 2 miles from Ely station. (Kings cross or Liverpool St. line) Phone and
arrange something before turning up though - It's virtually a one man operation. Kevin Dunsheath who
runs it has loads of experience and lots of machines to try.

John J

> Consider also D.Tek, at Little Thetford, near Ely. 01353 648177, [email protected]

I think a lot of people would if only they had a website...

Presumably suppliers are only worth considering if they have a website?

Here's a list of all the UK recumbent shops I know of...

Bikefix
48 Lambs Conduit Lane, Conduit Street, London, WC1N 3LJ.
website: http://www.bikefix.co.uk/bikefix.html

London Recumbents
Rangers Yard, Dulwich Park, College Road, London.
website:http://www.londonrecumbents.com/index.php

Life Cycle
The Tile House, Preston Park, Preston Road, Brighton, BN1 6HN.
website:http://www.lifecyclebrighton.com/

Kinetics
54 Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow, G61 1AE.
website: http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/about_us.htm

Future Cycles
Friends Yard, Station Road, Forest Row, East Sussex, RH18 5EE.
website:http://www.futurecycles.co.uk/

D-Tek
Main Street, Little Thetford, Nr. Ely, Cambidgeshire, CB6 1BR

Westcountry Recumbents
2 Main Street, Broomfleet, Brough, East Yorkshire, HU15 1RJ.
website:http://www.wrhpv.com

Pedal Partners
91 Church Road, Tiptree, essex, CO5 OHB.
website:http://www.pedalpartners.co.uk/index.html

Pashley Cycles
Pashley Cycles, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 9NL.
website:http://www.pashley.co.uk

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:06:59 +0100, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Disgruntled Goat wrote:
>
>> Do they do a 26/26 version suitable for Very Big Lads like me?
>
>How big is Very Big?

6'8" and 20 stone. Not hugely fat, either. Maybe about a stone off my ideal weight. (According to
what I know rather than those daft charts that never take into account folk like me.)

> If it's length you're worried about, Darth Ian had to saw a couple of inches off the boom of
> Cosimo The Stealth Baron to get the pedals close enough for me, and I'm 6'3". The Dutch are all
> nine feet tall, you see. Only the tallest were able to keep their heads above water when the
> floods came.

I must have Dutch ancestry, then. :)

I may be looking out for a low-racer at some point. I like the idea of having a bash at some
racing, although I doubt if I'd be much good. Looks like fun,anyway. At the moment, what I'd really
like is a tourer.
--
DG

Bah!

> At the moment, what I'd really like is a tourer.

Only 3 words are needed then: StreetMachine Grand Tourismo

See: www.hpvelotechnik.de (the press room has links to some reviews), www.kinetics.org.uk and
www.wademan.com (for a guy who's taken his to many parts of the world).

Mads

OK, that's Big. Iain James is 6'6" and has a Speedmachine; Ymte Sybrandy is about the same size
and has been spotted riding a Challenge Jester, a Razz-Fazz, assorted Dutch velomobiles and a
Flevo Oke-Ja...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/