Recumbent vs. Traditional

Ed Gin & Shirleen Kajiwara <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Welcome to the ultra maroon club of the world, Darwinism will take care of them eventually. ;-)

You obviously haven't been paying attention. Fab eschews maroon as there is no pro team sporting
that colour for its kit.

"smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message > ah, fabrizio, this channel would not be the same
without you for
> the world of bicycling is better for having all of us; jobst, jon isaacs, frank, the lovely
> ladies here, the overweight and slow fun riders like me, our recumbent friends,

Can we like leave Jon Isaacs off the list, that guy is really starting to seriously tick
off Fabrizio.

Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
: Your final thought here is partially correct. For a given concentration of oxygen in the blood,
: the transfer rate to the muscles will be a function of the flow of blood through the muscle, which
: is a function of the blood pressure, the volume of blood available to muscle, the exertion level
: of the muscle (when a muscle crosses the anaerobic threshold, it stops consuming oxygen) and the
: constriction level of the muscle.

You sure of the last one? What I've read clearly indicates that your body consumes oxygen even when
you are "past your anaerobic threshold". Are you talking about individual muscle cells? Well this is
offtopic anyway...

:> I don't really think I have the physiological expertise to answer all these questions, it would
:> be easier just to look at race results :) Then again, one would have to explain *why* bents are
:> faster than DFs in a given race or vice versa.

: hehe. Race results. I'd prefer a scientific investigation into power output in a variety of
: upright and recumbent positions both with and without training in the specific position.

Please show me your funding plan for the mentioned research. At least race results could be better
than vague appeals to evolution. But please give me more physiology... :)

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message > ah, fabrizio, this channel would not be the same
> without you for
> > the world of bicycling is better for having all of us; jobst, jon isaacs, frank, the lovely
> > ladies here, the overweight and slow fun riders like me, our recumbent friends,
>
> Can we like leave Jon Isaacs off the list, that guy is really starting to seriously tick off
> Fabrizio.

no, i'm afraid we can't, fabrazio. it is MY list. smokey

Geez................ Good job Ed! I've been off this board a few days and you picked right up where
I left off. It still looks like they just don't get it though. We can just continue to pass them and
watch them struggle to keep up. Makes for a happier ride anyhow. What bike does this fastboy
character ride? This isn't AA in disquise is it?

ckaudio1 wrote:

> Geez................ Good job Ed! I've been off this board a few days and you picked right up
> where I left off. It still looks like they just don't get it though. We can just continue to pass
> them and watch them struggle to keep up. Makes for a happier ride anyhow. What bike does this
> fastboy character ride? This isn't AA in disquise is it?

If it is Alan, the disguise is pretty good. My impression is that he prefers to let the results
speak for themselves.

< http://www.iowaultra.com/2002-24hr-results.htm >

ckaudio1,

Good to have you back! Just couldn't resist the temptation, as you know it hasn't been ideal for
cycling the last two days.

Anyhow regarding Fastboy, he rides a 20 lb. German built "unobtainable" lowracer with the slickest
carbon box in existence....need I say more?

Back to my regular boards soon as the weather is clearing up for this weekend!

See you there!

Ed -

ckaudio1 wrote:

> Geez................ Good job Ed! I've been off this board a few days and you picked right up
> where I left off. It still looks like they just don't get it though. We can just continue to pass
> them and watch them struggle to keep up. Makes for a happier ride anyhow. What bike does this
> fastboy character ride? This isn't AA in disquise is it?

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

ckaudio1 wrote: What bike does this fastboy character ride?

If it is Alan, the disguise is pretty good. My impression is that he prefers to let the results
speak for themselves.

QuadCityTom, That guy is a fairly fast bent racer but he's no match against the top Euro racers with
that heavy 40 lb. bike he might still be riding. Both Klaus and I are racing light bikes that are
much faster than his lowracer from '02. I spoke with Alen a while back and understand he was
planning on riding one of Schotts 8.1 kilo race bikes this season. When he races that he'll be
difficult to maintain pace with on the track. Perhaps he will make it to CV in '03. Some of the Euro
racers will be glad to meet him.

As for the DF clowns in this thread they have no clue about the performance of race specific bents
and they claim that bents can't
climb. That's worth a few laughs. Almost as funny as the expression on all the DFers I constantly
pass on the roads and climbs.

Yours Truly, FastBoy

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message..
> > i thought you went to school or something? how is it you have time for this? hey, why're you
> > working for all those math groups? do they at least feed you? they're normally quite good at
> > that. this particuliar one fed me through undergrad (http://www.ima.umn.edu/) and i didn't even
> > work for them.
>
> Ok that's it, now that you're bringing something like math into this, I'm not Ryan, got that? I
> haven't been to school for many decades, and when I did go to school I flunked out of girly stuff
> like math because I was either out on the road training on my Raleigh Gran Prix that I had painted
> in the team Panasonic colour scheme or else I was planning my training program and not listening
> to the teacher.
>
> If Ryan keeps up this math stuff I'm afraid he will end up just like Jon Issacs.

Don't worry too much about me. I'm gainfully employed and have fulfilled the Peter Principle with my
current position in my hierarchy, and it has very little at all to do with mathematics or SFU. I did
formerly work for several parts of SFU's math department, but that was years ago.

I go to college every day, but I don't take classes anymore.

I will try to keep the errors to a minimum. But remember, the new line is that I'm not Fabrizio,
he's just my mentor. And of course, I'm president of his fan club. We are now open to new members,
you can join our current membership of two. (Fabrizio isn't really a member, though he is
honourarily member #0).

-RjC.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
: I go to college every day, but I don't take classes anymore.

heh. i'm biting my tongue.

: But remember, the new line is that I'm not Fabrizio, he's just my mentor.

aiiy, this is precisely what i was afraid of. when i was in college i had a friend who would listen
to sammy davis, jr and frank, et al kind of as a joke. it was marginally funny but after a few
months we'd catch him listening to candy man alone in his room. it sent a chill went down my spine.
a comedic variation of the stockholm syndrome me thinks.

you need to watch yourself.

: And of course, I'm president of his fan club. We are now open to new members, you can join our
: current membership of two. (Fabrizio isn't really a member, though he is honourarily member #0).

maybe i should just join. is there a newsletter? style guide, naturally! how about urls for tracking
the goings ons of appropriate pros and fact finding tips from fabs (who is quite at good at it).
meetings? dues? a website? perhaps an alt.fan.fabrizio newsgroup?
--
david reuteler [email protected]

Actually I'd like to see a race between recumbents and traditional bikes. Not a single one day race
but a tour involving flats, hills, mountains, one on one time trials and team riding over several
days. I'd also like to see it in a large well publicized venue for the whole bike riding world to
see with a purse large enough to attract top competitors from both the traditional and recumbent
world. I know it probably isn't going to happen but if it ever did it's one race I would follow with
religious fervor.

David <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Actually I'd like to see a race between recumbents and traditional bikes. Not a single one day
> race but a tour involving flats, hills, mountains, one on one time trials and team riding over
> several days. I'd also like to see it in a large well publicized venue for the whole bike riding
> world to see with a purse large enough to attract top competitors from both the traditional and
> recumbent world. I know it probably isn't going to happen but if it ever did it's one race I would
> follow with religious fervor.

Yes, this WOULD be great; however, the strongest riders are still mostly DF'ers, so the competition
might not be fair. Still, it would be fun.

Scott

This is a post from last year shortly after the Assenmacher 100 century ride. Myself and two buddies
on lowracers did this ride. WE were the only lowracers at the event. Here is a post I found.

TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last weekend, I rode the Assenmacher 100. This is an ideal bent century. Mostly flat with
> favorable sets of rollers. Last year I put up a sub-6 century on this ride. Coming out of a rest
> stop, I was ahead of a fast group of roadies. After a few miles they reeled me in and passed me.
> The lead guy said, "Nice bike!" as they went by.
>
> Later, with the group still in view, three low racers with fearsome physical specimens as pilots
> blew by me and then the roadie group effortlessly.
>
> It was a great day, not a cloud in the sky, 75 degrees. I put up a good time for me and had a good
> time talking to other citizens of the spandex nation.
>
> What does this tell us, Grasshopper? There is always somebody faster. So what. When it comes to
> bikes, it truly is all good. Mutual respect is the key.
>

> Brad (just one week 'til DALMAC) Eschler R40 GRR Rocket

"ckaudio1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is a post from last year shortly after the Assenmacher 100 century ride. Myself and two
> buddies on lowracers did this ride. WE were the only lowracers at the event. Here is a post
> I found.
>

> TBRADSTER" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Last weekend, I rode the Assenmacher 100. This is an ideal bent
century.
> > Mostly flat with favorable sets of rollers. Last year I put up a sub-6
century
> > on this ride. Coming out of a rest stop, I was ahead of a fast group of roadies. After a few
> > miles they reeled me in and passed me. The lead
guy
> > said, "Nice bike!" as they went by.
> >
> > Later, with the group still in view, three low racers with fearsome
physical
> > specimens as pilots blew by me and then the roadie group effortlessly.
> >
> > It was a great day, not a cloud in the sky, 75 degrees. I put up a good
time
> > for me and had a good time talking to other citizens of the spandex
nation.

> > What does this tell us, Grasshopper? There is always somebody faster.
So
> > what. When it comes to bikes, it truly is all good. Mutual respect is
the key.

Nothing commands respect quicker than smoking a group of fast roadies and turning into a speck on
the horizon.