Recumbent with Sidecar?

jmm

New Member
Jun 3, 2003
Is that a sidecar equipped recumbent in the picture of the 2003 Houston TX Thanksgiving Day parade, here ?

Anybody have any links to more pictures or other info on this or other similar bents? I think Mark Stonich was building one, but I haven't seen any detailed info on his yet.

John

There already is a company making side cars for Kids and they are doing an adult version...or plan
to. Cannot remember the address, but it try Google under Sidecars for bicycles or Sidekidz or
something like that. I saw it on a U.K. e-cycling message board.

Thanksgiving Day parade, http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/here ?

> Anybody have any links to more pictures or other info on this or other similar bents? I think Mark
> Stonich was building one, but I haven't seen any detailed info on his yet.
>
> John
>

> --

Originally posted by EVSolutions
There already is a company making side cars for Kids and they are doing an adult version...or plan
to. Cannot remember the address, but it try Google under Sidecars for bicycles or Sidekidz or
something like that. I saw it on a U.K. e-cycling message board.

"jmm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Is that a sidecar equipped recumbent in the picture of the 2003 Houston TX
Thanksgiving Day parade, http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/here ?

> Anybody have any links to more pictures or other info on this or other similar bents? I think Mark
> Stonich was building one, but I haven't seen any detailed info on his yet.
>
> John
>

> --

Here is a website of some homemades.

http://dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/trike/

I've tried and struck out myself and concluded homebuilding is the only hope.

Mark does have an EZ-1 competitor with passengerless balancing outrigger shown in his World HPV iceracing pics-no mention of whether Mark built it.

jmm scribed with passion and wit:

> Is that a sidecar equipped recumbent in the picture of the 2003 Houston TX Thanksgiving Day
> parade, http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/News/here ?
>
> Anybody have any links to more pictures or other info on this or other similar bents? I think Mark
> Stonich was building one, but I haven't seen any detailed info on his yet.
>
> John
>

> --

There are a couple of seriously big blokes in that picture too, sidecar looks like fun for the kids,
he probably will not let them pedal till they get a bit closer to his size.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

meb <[email protected]> wrote
> > > Anybody have any links to more pictures or other info on this or other similar bents?

I can't find any website for the Houston club. I'd like to see more of this.

> > > I think Mark Stonich was building one, but I haven't seen any detailed info on his yet. John

Not much progress lately. It's a rather complex project for a mother and her severely retarded
daughter. There will be pedals for the daughter, but they will be turned with power from the mother,
to provide the girl with "passive exercise". I had to build a declutching device,
http://bikesmithdesign.com/Nikki/NikkiClutch.jpg so she doesn't have to drive the girl's pedals on
hills or if she gets tired. A shift lever will move a cable operated lever, to depress the rod on
the end of the shaft, to dissengage the sprocket from the shaft. The sprocket will be driven from a
4th chainring well inboard of the other 3.

The bike is an EZ-1, with an additional 1.5" of rake, 155mm cranks and the BB moved forward 3".
Handles MUCH better than stock, even as a 2 wheeler. http://mnhpva.org/meetings/Aug_03/EZ.html To
lower the CG I replaced the seat frame and struts with Aluminum EZ-1 Lite parts and replaced the
bars with these; http://mnhpva.org/meetings/Sept_03/MS.html

To complicate things, she can't climb over anything to get into the seat. I had to make cranks that
are cantelevered out from the EZ-1. http://bikesmithdesign.com/Nikki/NikkiCranks.jpg There will be
another support bearing at the shiny area just inboard of the left arm.

The sidecar wheel sits in a swingarm like arangement that can be adjusted for height (to adjust
tilt of the EZ-1) camber and toe-in. All of the major subsystems are complete. I just need to
create the sidecar frame, build the seat and move or add about 20 braze-ons. Seat will be based on
a fiberglass race car seat that surrounds the rider. The bottom has been cut out, and I'll use a
BikeE seat base. (The BikeE seat base is a good shape, UNLESS you have the cranks well below the
seat. Like a BikeE. ;-)

> Mark does have an EZ-1 competitor with passengerless balancing outrigger shown in his World HPV
> iceracing pics-no mention of whether Mark built it. meb

MnHPVA Founder Dave "Weld first, measure later" Krafft built the "sidecar" with the help of the
owner, Tim Dunsworth. The bike is an early Tour Easy. Some pix.
http://www.calhouncycle.com/images/bike5.jpg
http://www2.bitstream.net/~dkrafft/icebike/icepics/tim03.JPG http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2002/ice3.html

Snip ...It's a rather complex project for a mother and her severely retarded
daughter...

Mark, thanks for the progres report! You hit the nail right on the head. Long story, but I attempted to take a severely retarded child for a ride in a kiddie trailer attached to a bent because his mother thought he would enjoy it. BAD idea, the kid was terrified, and probably ended up sucking a ton of dust into his diminished capacity lungs from the packed limestone bike trail we were on. However, we noticed that he settled down and actually started smiling when his mother dropped back on her accompanying DF and rode right next to him. That got me thinking...

I later ran across someone with challenged child in a custom orthopedic "seat" (actually a moulded shell) on the front position of a custom Bilenky Viewpoint (with front hand cranks). The kid was lovin it. The close proximity to the parent allowed a little lean forward for an encouraging word or pat on the shoulder when necessary. Again, I couldn't help but think the side position would be even better for maintaining "contact".

I've squandered far too much time on self indulgences in the past. Doing something to bring a bit of joy into the life of a kid who has to fight to stay alive every day seems like a decent thing to do. Good luck with your project, I've got to get serious about mine...

John

"jmm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Snip ...It's a rather complex project for a mother and her severely retarded daughter...
>
> Mark, thanks for the progres report! You hit the nail right on the head. Long story, but I
> attempted to take a severely retarded child for a ride in a kiddie trailer attached to a bent
> because his mother thought he would enjoy it. BAD idea, the kid was terrified, and probably ended
> up sucking a ton of dust into his diminished capacity lungs from the packed limestone bike trail
> we were on. However, we noticed that he settled down and actually started smiling when his mother
> dropped back on her accompanying DF and rode right next to him. That got me thinking...
>
> I later ran across someone with challenged child in a custom orthopedic "seat" (actually a moulded
> shell) on the front position of a custom Bilenky Viewpoint (with front hand cranks). The kid was
> lovin it. The close proximity to the parent allowed a little lean forward for an encouraging word
> or pat on the shoulder when necessary. Again, I couldn't help but think the side position would be
> even better for maintaining "contact".
>
> I've squandered far too much time on self indulgences in the past. Doing something to bring a bit
> of joy into the life of a kid who has to fight to stay alive every day seems like a decent thing
> to do. Good luck with your project, I've got to get serious about mine...
>
> John

Good for John and Mark.

May your good deeds inspire many others.

In article <[email protected]>,
jmm <[email protected]> wrote:

> Snip ...It's a rather complex project for a mother and her severely retarded daughter...
>
> Mark, thanks for the progres report! You hit the nail right on the head. Long story, but I
> attempted to take a severely retarded child for a ride in a kiddie trailer attached to a bent
> because his mother thought he would enjoy it. BAD idea, the kid was terrified, and probably ended
> up sucking a ton of dust into his diminished capacity lungs from the packed limestone bike trail
> we were on. However, we noticed that he settled down and actually started smiling when his mother
> dropped back on her accompanying DF and rode right next to him. That got me thinking...
>
> I later ran across someone with challenged child in a custom orthopedic "seat" (actually a moulded
> shell) on the front position of a custom Bilenky Viewpoint (with front hand cranks). The kid was
> lovin it. The close proximity to the parent allowed a little lean forward for an encouraging word
> or pat on the shoulder when necessary. Again, I couldn't help but think the side position would be
> even better for maintaining "contact".
>
> I've squandered far too much time on self indulgences in the past. Doing something to bring a bit
> of joy into the life of a kid who has to fight to stay alive every day seems like a decent thing
> to do. Good luck with your project, I've got to get serious about mine...
>
> John
>

> --

In a former life as a recumbent and df framebuilder I had the great pleasure of modifying a few special-
needs tricycle and/or trailer set-ups.

Several small pleasures: seeing someone thrilled, being thrilled watching them ride or trailer,
being in a position where I could charge less than the medical industry.

Those experiences are the very best I have had in 25 years of building/riding/selling/repairing.

thanks to John for bringing the memories back to mind.

LouP