Recumbent

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by George Hauxwell, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > *Some* Recumbents are more difficult to GOAP. I do that a lot.

    I added the missing word from your sentence! ;-)

    Jon

  2. Ian Dobbie

    Ian Dobbie Guest

    Danny Colyer <[email protected]> writes:

    > Raleigh Chopper. OK, you can buy an enormous variety of unicycles
    > with very different riding characteristics, but the variety of
    > machines available doesn't come close to that of recumbents.

    ....and they all have the same number of wheels, unlike 'bents!

    Ian

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Jon Senior wrote:
    >Richard Bates wrote:
    >> *Some* Recumbents are more difficult to GOAP. I do that a lot.

    >I added the missing word from your sentence! ;-)

    And having worked out that it probably means Get Off And Push, *some*
    recumbents have three wheels and a vast gear range (intermediate
    jackshaft, Mountain Drive, SRAM 3x7 hub with front derailleur as well,
    that sort of thing), meaning no matter how slowly you have to go, you
    can still sit down and pedal at a reasonable rate.

  4. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:
    > And having worked out that it probably means Get Off And Push, *some*
    > recumbents have three wheels and a vast gear range (intermediate
    > jackshaft, Mountain Drive, SRAM 3x7 hub with front derailleur as well,
    > that sort of thing), meaning no matter how slowly you have to go, you
    > can still sit down and pedal at a reasonable rate.

    Even the race oriented Trice Micro climbs quite well for exactly that
    reason. Arms folded across chest. Occasionally sipping from a water
    bottle, you trundle up the hill. Not likely to win any speed awards but
    highly entertaining and doesn't leave you close to death at the top.

    Jon

  5. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Ian Dobbie wrote (of unicycles):
    > ....and they all have the same number of wheels, unlike 'bents!

    Surprisingly not. Unicyclists tend to consider a machine a unicycle if
    it cannot be ridden with more than one wheel on the ground, and the
    rider is positioned above the wheel. So you *can* have a unicycle with
    two or three wheels, or even 13 wheels:
    <URL:http://www.unicycling.com/garage/multi.htm>

    With an even number of wheels in a stack, the rider has to pedal
    backwards to ride forwards. I've never managed to ride a 2-wheeled
    unicycle, where the pedals drive the top wheel and the top wheel drives
    the bottom wheel in the opposite direction. I've ridden a 3-wheel
    stack, and I've also ridden a 4-wheeler, with the wheels in a diamond
    formation. The rider pedals forwards, driving the top wheel forwards.
    The top wheel drives the middle 2 wheels backwards, and they drive the
    bottom wheel forwards

  6. Jon Senior wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >> As was the first recumbent two-wheeler I tried - this very one:

    > The magazine also included an article on Pregnancy and Cycling. A
    > topic that arose here only a few days ago. Got a copy to hand?

    'tis at Larrington Towers, while I am in the Nut Mines, but IIRC it said
    something along the lines of "keep cycling as long as it's comfortable (and
    try not to fall off...)"

    World Domination?
    Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
    floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)