recumbents: a primer

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Sam, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    If anyone has the time or inclination to write a humorous primer on recumbents, they will find a
    receptive audience at bikereader.com. (Did I mention that it doesn't pay anything?)

    Tags:

  2. "sam" skrev...
    > If anyone has the time or inclination to write a humorous primer on recumbents, they will find a
    > receptive audience at bikereader.com. (Did I mention that it doesn't pay anything?)

    Heres one already written. Quite well too.

    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/PracticalCycling/FancyBikes.htm

    But better ask the author before you snag it.

    One minor objection on my part is his calling tailfairings/tailboxes tailcones. (A tailfairing is
    usually just an aerodynamic shell while a tailbox improves aerodynamics and carries stuff. This
    comes with a weightpenalty tho.)

    Pippettypip Mikael

  3. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > One minor objection on my part is his calling tailfairings/tailboxes tailcones. (A tailfairing is
    > usually just an aerodynamic shell while a tailbox improves aerodynamics and carries stuff. This
    > comes with a weightpenalty tho.)
    >
    > Pippettypip Mikael

    Excellent article; but I am not too sure about the last sentence in this paragraph -

    Safety

    Virtually all falls from a recumbent dump you unceremoniously on your butt
    next to your bike. It is almost impossible to go "over the bars" and land on
    your head. Very few crashes result in extensive road rash as is often
    experienced in falls from higher bikes. Crashes with Trikes are virtually
    unheard of.

    Chris (ouch, ouch) Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  4. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Hi Sam.

    How's the new name working out?

  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    My apologies: bikereader has gotten so big I forgot I already have a perfectly good story on
    recumbents for beginners, sort of. (Thanks anyway, Mikael. The bicyclinglife thing is good, but not
    really what I had in mind.)

    Seamus: nothing bad has happened to me yet as a result of it. That's gotta be a plus.