Recumbents are king

17on the flats is a casual pace u must know that....
I have a friend that moved to Modesto and has one. He brags about riding at 45 mph and since he was really fast on a normal bike I believe him. But a ride is a ride no matter what you're on. If you reduce the friction from a lower frontal area you simply don't expend as much energy. Is that what you're impressing people with? Ride up some real hills and then talk about your speed.

Hey there! I totally get where you're coming from. It's always interesting to see people bragging about their speed, but as someone who's into long-distance touring, it's not just about going fast. It's about the challenge, like conquering those real hills! Keep pushing yourself and the speed will follow. Happy riding! :)

Funny topic. Got to love the idiots comparing bikes of different disciplines and boasting about winning some kind of imaginary race.

Then Rob Nob says to another poster about not mentioning speed though he makes no reference to average speed on a ride of distance.

24 on the flats is really nothing to boast about unless one keeps it p for 50 miles, Average speed!

I have often kept 24 on solo rides for a good amount of time. Matter of fact, I once caught a pair of belts working together on a trail. Caught and passed them. Later at a park refilling where, one guy pulls up and says YOU MUST HAVE SOME SERIOUS HORSEPOWER.

I have met and rode with double century riers boasting about their bents. So what. Guy rode his upright on a timed event, 100 miles with 10,000 ft. Beat him by 3 hours.

Best yo get back on his bent like so many needing that little edge to keep up with the real riders. :D