Recumbents are king

rob nol

Jun 21, 2018
My new azub max recumbent kicks so much ads I just fly past all the upright riders all huddled together trying to hide from the wind.... sad uprights are so un aerodynamic..

My new azub max recumbent kicks so much ads I just fly past all the upright riders all huddled together trying to hide from the wind.... sad uprights are so un aerodynamic..
I'm amazed that no one disagrees with this post....I kinda figured most riders would agree with this

That's probably because most people saw it for what it is, a troll and complete BS.

If they are so wonderful, why do I see at least 200 bikes for every recumbent?

Recumbents may be great if all you do is ride flat roads, but as soon as you have to climb, you're screwed and a lot of them aren't great at descending, either. Most of the recumbents I see are trikes ridden by People who are forced to ride them due to an injury or medical condition. Basically, they're better than not riding.

Is that what you were looking for?

Reactions: cyclintom
That's probably because most people saw it for what it is, a troll and complete BS.

Recumbents may be great if all you do is ride flat roads, but as soon as you have to climb, you're screwed and a lot of them aren't great at descending, either. Most of the recumbents I see are trikes ridden by People who are forced to ride them due to an injury or medical condition. Basically, they're better than not riding.

In the last four years I have seen four recumbents. Two of them were tricycles for a guy with a paralyzed right arm and his girl friend. I was impressed that they road coast to coast twice. So there certainly is some use for them. The other two were from people that had two wheel recumbents and couldn't keep up with the group on rollers let alone climbing. They do not descend because of the super-long wheelbases.

Nol does this every couple of months. It's nice that he has a bike he likes but recumbents have been around for 40 years and there is a reason that they are so popular.

Because they require coordination to ride... and physical ability to ride them at 24 mph or higher without the. Crutch that is the pace line... pure comfort 75 mile rides feel like 30 ...so much less fatigue and a more enjoyable ride.... don't get me wrong I have a specialized tt bike I use all the time but if I had to choose I would pick my azub max recumbent without a doubt

In the last four years I have seen four recumbents. Two of them were tricycles for a guy with a paralyzed right arm and his girl friend. I was impressed that they road coast to coast twice. So there certainly is some use for them. The other two were from people that had two wheel recumbents and couldn't keep up with the group on rollers let alone climbing. They do not descend because of the super-long wheelbases.

Nol does this every couple of months. It's nice that he has a bike he likes but recumbents have been around for 40 years and there is a reason that they are so popular.
My posts are a side effect of passing a paceline....or having to listen to other riders ***** about the fatigue they are feeling after a 50 mile group ride...

One of the fastest bike / rider combinations I trained with was a strong rider that rode an Easy Racer with a full length Zzipper fairing.

On the flats it was a rocketship.

It also climbed like a brick. It descended well, cornered well with a low Cg and threw very little draft for the guy behind it.

Reactions: rob nol
My posts are a side effect of passing a paceline....or having to listen to other riders ***** about the fatigue they are feeling after a 50 mile group ride...
Fatigue huh? We are a group of seniors all over 60 and we do a 50 miler every Thursday. Every Tuesday we normally do a 38 miler with 3400 feet of climbing.

You like your recumbent, that's fine, but pretending that they have an overall advantage over a double triangle just indicates to me that you live in a pretty flat area.

Fatigue huh? We are a group of seniors all over 60 and we do a 50 miler every Thursday. Every Tuesday we normally do a 38 miler with 3400 feet of climbing.

You like your recumbent, that's fine, but pretending that they have an overall advantage over a double triangle just indicates to me that you live in a pretty flat area.
No mention of your speed... or if you guys hide from the wind in a pace line ....its nice to haul ass on my azub max with full suspension in total comfort....I guess that's the advantage

No mention of your speed... or if you guys hide from the wind in a pace line ....its nice to haul ass on my azub max with full suspension in total comfort....I guess that's the advantage
Rob - I NEVER ride in a paceline with these people because they always make mistakes. And their idea of a pace line is one bike length or more from the person in front of them. A paceline advantage is RIGHT on the leading person's wheel. More than half a bike length and there is no aero advantage.

We normally ride on the flats at 17 mph. If you ride faster than that because of an aero advantage so what? Does that achieve something? Bragging rights over a double triangle? These speed are being done by the ladies of the group over 65.

Rob - I NEVER ride in a paceline with these people because they always make mistakes. And their idea of a pace line is one bike length or more from the person in front of them. A paceline advantage is RIGHT on the leading person's wheel. More than half a bike length and there is no aero advantage.

We normally ride on the flats at 17 mph. If you ride faster than that because of an aero advantage so what? Does that achieve something? Bragging rights over a double triangle? These speed are being done by the ladies of the group over 65.
17on the flats is a casual pace u must know that....

When I retire and want to go at a slower pace maybe I'll look at a recumbent bike, (Not). I don't need a paceline, and getting fatigued after 50 miles of solo riding on hilly terrain is not an issue. My Zipp2001 bike and I will climb faster, descend faster, and plain out run you on the flats. Not to mention all I have to do is lay down an attack and your gapped because you can't counter attack with that bike. Oh wait maybe you can out sprint (haha), all you'll see of me is my ass as I disappear up the road. So stick to dropping all those people on your local bike path that your racing against.

It's great you like your bike but not a serious all around performance machine.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
When I retire and want to go at a slower pace maybe I'll look at a recumbent bike, (Not). I don't need a paceline, and getting fatigued after 50 miles of solo riding on hilly terrain is not an issue. My Zipp2001 bike and I will climb faster, descend faster, and plain out run you on the flats. Not to mention all I have to do is lay down an attack and your gapped because you can't counter attack with that bike. Oh wait maybe you can out sprint (haha), all you'll see of me is my ass as I disappear up the road. So stick to dropping all those people on your local bike path that your racing against.

If u had the legs and the heart u to could do iron man triathlons with me.... only have to swim and then ride 112 miles then run a full marathon ....surely u can keep up for one of those three disciplines...

Try triathalons if u want ur testicles to grow...surely u can swim or ride 112 miles then run a full marathon... or are u one of the half athletes keep up with me if u can
o

If u had the legs and the heart u to could do iron man triathlons with me.... only have to swim and then ride 112 miles then run a full marathon ....surely u can keep up for one of those three disciplines...

I raced in many 12&24 hour ultra marathon cycling events, and I came from a marathon running back ground, just not a swimmer. So I guess you would beat me in the water, 1 out of 3 isn't bad for you.

But your claim is that your recumbent bike is the best, compared to upright bikes, so I assume you use your recumbent bike for your Tri's right ?

Try and stay on point if you can. You started the post about how great your recumbent is over upright bikes. Your making a fool out of yourself with that claim, and you can't admit it. So now you'll just go off topic to avoid your original post.

Reactions: CAMPYBOB
I raced in many 12&24 hour ultra marathon cycling events, and I came from a marathon running back ground, just not a swimmer. So I guess you would beat me in the water, 1 out of 3 isn't bad for you.

But your claim is that your recumbent bike is the best, compared to upright bikes, so I assume you use your recumbent bike for your Tri's right ?

Try and stay on point if you can. You started the post about how great your recumbent is over upright bikes. Your making a fool out of yourself with that claim, and you can't admit it. So now you'll just go off topic to avoid your original post.
My point is ur body is 80%of all air drag a recumbent actually deals with the vast majority of air drag and I feel makes the rides fast and more enjoyable and comfortable. Looking straight ahead instead of the road between my thumbs on my aero bars

My point is ur body is 80%of all air drag a recumbent actually deals with the vast majority of air drag and I feel makes the rides fast and more enjoyable and comfortable. Looking straight ahead instead of the road between my thumbs on my aero bars

Your back on point ! I don't disagree with the added drag from poor body position. But the bike, wheel, and clothing choose has an aero effect also. I have one of the most aero bikes ever designed, actually 2 of them bough by my sponsor many moons ago. People would always tell me you can't climb with that bike or you couldn't do long rides with it. It ultimately comes down to the motor and mindset of the person riding the machine. For you if it's more enjoyable and comfortable and makes you feel faster, and gets you out more it's a win, win for you. If I set up my standard road bike, not my Zipp with a disc and tri spoke and ride in the drops which I've done then I still will roll past the recumbent. A properly set up bike should be comfortable to ride long distance. But enjoyable is a different topic, to some riding more than 5 miles isn't enjoyable, or going up hills isn't enjoyable, that's more of a mindset. I enjoyed every bit of my ultra marathon races, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a physical challenge.
As I said it's great for what type of riding you do, and there is an aero advantage, but not to the point that it's the aero option over a standard bike for everyone.
I admit I've never ridden one but for the type riding I do and the terrain I ride on it would be very inefficient and any aero advantage that the bike has over the standard road bike would be lost due to my type riding. I think that that goes for a lot of serious and mildly serious road cyclist out there.

Your back on point ! I don't disagree with the added drag from poor body position. But the bike, wheel, and clothing choose has an aero effect also. I have one of the most aero bikes ever designed, actually 2 of them bough by my sponsor many moons ago. People would always tell me you can't climb with that bike or you couldn't do long rides with it. It ultimately comes down to the motor and mindset of the person riding the machine. For you if it's more enjoyable and comfortable and makes you feel faster, and gets you out more it's a win, win for you. If I set up my standard road bike, not my Zipp with a disc and tri spoke and ride in the drops which I've done then I still will roll past the recumbent. A properly set up bike should be comfortable to ride long distance. But enjoyable is a different topic, to some riding more than 5 miles isn't enjoyable, or going up hills isn't enjoyable, that's more of a mindset. I enjoyed every bit of my ultra marathon races, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a physical challenge.
As I said it's great for what type of riding you do, and there is an aero advantage, but not to the point that it's the aero option over a standard bike for everyone.
I admit I've never ridden one but for the type riding I do and the terrain I ride on it would be very inefficient and any aero advantage that the bike has over the standard road bike would be lost due to my type riding. I think that that goes for a lot of serious and mildly serious road cyclist out there.
I admit I've never ridden one but for the type riding I do and the terrain I ride on it would be very inefficient and any aero advantage that the bike has over the standard road bike would be lost due to my type riding. I think that that goes for a lot of serious and mildly serious it's not that I feel faster its the perceived effort per mph winch is real and substantial and the reduced fatigue a bonus....

i second into this. some bikers really buy stuffs like gears and suits when ride. it really helps aero. I buy the bora suit and it really helps me when doing long rides!