Recumbents for seniors

Brian G

Guest
I'm compiling some information on cycling for a group of people
generally of pensionable age. I have my own views on suitable bikes,
but I have no experience of recumbents. The recumbent riders I've come
across have belonged to a younger age group (this may be due to the
relative newness of this type of bike).

Does anyone have specific views on any advantages of recumbents for
riders of say 60 and over, beyond the general advantages expressed by
recumbent enthusiasts? Is there a website or other source of relevant
information?

TIA
--
Brian G

Brian G wrote:

> Does anyone have specific views on any advantages of recumbents for
> riders of say 60 and over, beyond the general advantages expressed by
> recumbent enthusiasts?

First up, you have to note that "recumbent" is about as useful a general
descriptive term as "upright". Just as an upright track bike will be,
by and large, a poor mount for A.N. Other Frailer Pensioner, so will a
lowracer 'bent, but OTOH there are many sub-types that may prove
particularly advantageous.

For example, something like a compact along the lines of the HPVel
Spirit (see http://kinetics.org.uk/html/spirit.shtml) is easy to ride,
has a low stepover height so it's easy to get on and off and has a very
comfy seat with a back support, and would consequently be excellent for
many riders not wanting much whizz but who appreciate comfort and ease
of mounting. For those with a few balance or stability issues (I don't
wish to infer this is widely applicable to over-60s, and may well be
just as applicable to those not yet collecting pensions) then something
like the Scooterbike trike (see
http://kinetics.org.uk/html/urban_trike.shtml) may be just the ticket,
especially if you can't easily manhandle it into awkward spots since it
even sports a reverse gear.

In summary, I don't think pigeonholing "recumbents" is terribly much use
here. The sort of things that will make /any/ bike useful to a given
target rider can be applied on a case by case basis to different designs
of recumbent just as to upright bikes, and some will prove ideal and
some will prove categorically useless. 'Bents really aren't nearly as
radically different as most people assume, they're still "just" cycles.
In choosing one (or not) it's the usual case of thinking about what
you want and asking which bikes will do that best, however the rider
sits on it, so a Streetmachine recumbent tourer has a lot more in common
with, say, a Super Galaxy "normal" tourer than it does with a Varna
Diablo recumbent speed bike.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Brian G wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have specific views on any advantages of recumbents for
>> riders of say 60 and over, beyond the general advantages expressed by
>> recumbent enthusiasts?

> First up, you have to note that "recumbent" is about as useful a general
> descriptive term as "upright". Just as an upright track bike will be,
> by and large, a poor mount for A.N. Other Frailer Pensioner, so will a
> lowracer 'bent, but OTOH there are many sub-types that may prove
> particularly advantageous.

I absolutely take on board what you say. Unfortunately, my ignorance of
the recumbent type of bicycle is all-encompassing (at least in practice;
in theory I've learned a good deal from discussions on this NG). Your
other comments are therefore very useful.

--
Brian G

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:08:52 +0000, Brian G wrote:

> I'm compiling some information on cycling for a group of people generally
> of pensionable age. I have my own views on suitable bikes, but I have no
> experience of recumbents. The recumbent riders I've come across have
> belonged to a younger age group (this may be due to the relative newness
> of this type of bike).

You should come along on one of the Cambridge Friday 'bent rides. Grey
hair is definitely the mode ;-)

> Does anyone have specific views on any advantages of recumbents for
> riders of say 60 and over, beyond the general advantages expressed by
> recumbent enthusiasts?

Ihe recumbent is easier on the back than a touring upright position.
Recumbent trikes are now more common (and possibly cheaper) than
upright trikes, and the advantage of a trike is that there is no minimum
speed to maintain when climbing hills, and starting off again after taking
a rest is a doddle.

If these people can already ride a conventional bike, then there's no
reason why they can't ride a recumbent. However learning from scratch is
not as easy because the "hobby-horse" method of learning won't work.

From your email address you would seem to be in Crieff, which is a long
way to travel for a go on my 'bent, but you're welcome if you want to.

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:

> From your email address you would seem to be in Crieff, which is a long
> way to travel for a go on my 'bent, but you're welcome if you want to.

Though not too far from Darth Ben over in Bearsden. While you'd be
welcome to play on mine, Ben has a rather better selection and has 2 and
3 wheelers. He's very happy for people to just show up and play and
blether about them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Mike Causer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> You should come along on one of the Cambridge Friday 'bent rides. Grey
> hair is definitely the mode ;-)

OOOH! Now that's not a zillion miles from me... still a longish way, but not
unsurmountable.

> Ihe recumbent is easier on the back than a touring upright position.
> Recumbent trikes are now more common (and possibly cheaper) than
> upright trikes, and the advantage of a trike is that there is no minimum
> speed to maintain when climbing hills, and starting off again after taking
> a rest is a doddle.
>
> If these people can already ride a conventional bike, then there's no
> reason why they can't ride a recumbent. However learning from scratch is
> not as easy because the "hobby-horse" method of learning won't work.

Learning should be difficult if it's a three-wheeler though.

> From your email address you would seem to be in Crieff, which is a long
> way to travel for a go on my 'bent, but you're welcome if you want to.

Same goes for Norfolk!

Cheers, helen s

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:39:17 +0000, wafflycat wrote:

> OOOH! Now that's not a zillion miles from me... still a longish way, but
> not unsurmountable.

You /could/ subscribe to the mailing list to follow what's going on:

..... however it seems to be broken at the mo'. The email interface works
though. Send an email containing just the word
help
to [email protected]

Mike

Mike Causer wrote:

> From your email address you would seem to be in Crieff, which is a long
> way to travel for a go on my 'bent, but you're welcome if you want to.

Thank you kindly for the offer, but I doubt I'll be troubling you. I
was last in your fine city about twenty years ago and I can't see me
getting back any time soon :)

--
Brian G

Brian

I ride a Windcheetah recumbent trike.

I guess I am not that senior at 56.

I've had my trike for 7 years now and thinkls its fantastic fun, and by far
the most enjoyable ride of my 5 cycles.

Its very comfortable, fairly fast, easy to tour on and it makes people
smile......

Try having a look at VeloVision which cover recumbents very well. You will
fdind some articles at :-

http://www.velovision.co.uk/

Also there is www.windcheetah.co.uk and other sites on the "links" page in
velovision.

I tour quite a bit on my trike and find big advantages. I am comfortable,
never fall off, can go as slow as I like up steep hills, and it always makes
a great conversation starter.

Bents tend to be more efficient above 20 mph but can be less efficient below
this on hills where you have a weight penalty on a trike.

But there are very light two wheel recumbents that will beat anything in a
diamond frame easily.

Keep looking around.

Try one out, both two wheeled and three wheeled. The trike come with two
wheels at the front (tadpole) , like mine or two at the back. Of these the
tadpole is most popular.

Most of all recumbents are fun.

Good Luck

Rod King

news:[email protected]...

wafflycat wrote:
> Thanks - much appreciated

And if you can make it tomorrow, you get to meet a young(ish) "Senior"
on a recumbent.

Jon (Senior)

"Jon is Away!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycat wrote:
>> Thanks - much appreciated

> And if you can make it tomorrow, you get to meet a young(ish) "Senior"
> on a recumbent.
>
> Jon (Senior)

Alas, can't make tomorrow. But I would like to get down there at some point.
There's a dearth of 'bent riders where I am.

Cheers, helen s

In article <[email protected]>,
wafflycat (w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com) wrote:

> "Jon is Away!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > wafflycat wrote:
> >> Thanks - much appreciated

> > And if you can make it tomorrow, you get to meet a young(ish) "Senior"
> > on a recumbent.
> >
> > Jon (Senior)
> >

> Alas, can't make tomorrow. But I would like to get down there at some point.
> There's a dearth of 'bent riders where I am.

Get thee to Naarch on February 18th and you'll likely stumble across one
going for a potter (Whirligig 150 -
http://www.audax.uk.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=527)

Never tie your shoelaces in a revolving door.

wafflycat wrote:

> "Jon is Away!" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks - much appreciated

>> And if you can make it tomorrow, you get to meet a young(ish) "Senior"
>> on a recumbent.
>>
>> Jon (Senior)
>>

> Alas, can't make tomorrow. But I would like to get down there at some
> point. There's a dearth of 'bent riders where I am.
>
> Cheers, helen s

are you trying to say "I'm the only 'bent in the village" Daffyd fashion

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

wafflycat wrote:
> "Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > are you trying to say "I'm the only 'bent in the village" Daffyd fashion
> >

> I am indeed the only 'bent rider in the village!

Junior bent riders ignored at this point.

I presume you mean 'one who rides ones own bent rather than pinching
that of the parents.'

...d