Recumbents for seniors

> Does anyone have specific views on any advantages of recumbents for
> riders of say 60 and over, beyond the general advantages expressed by
> recumbent enthusiasts? Is there a website or other source of relevant
> information?

Well, advantages would be that it puts very litte strain on hands,
wrists, shoulders, neck etc. - all places where arthritic joints can be
a problem. Very little chance of coming a cropper over the handlebars.
Faster for less effort, particularly compared to the sit-up-and-beg
style upright that would be the likely alternative. Many have at least
rear suspension so nice smooth ride. Less far to fall if you do make a
mistake.

I'd look at the 'Compact Long Wheelbase' (CLWB) type bikes such as the
HP Velotechnik Spirit, Bike E and possibly the Giant Revive although
that's not a very well executed bit of kit.

Also, for the sprightlier riders pretty much any recumbent is a possible
- there are people around 60 yrs old who regularly race in BHPC races
and are quick.

Alex

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> wafflycat wrote:
>> "Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>

>> > are you trying to say "I'm the only 'bent in the village" Daffyd
>> > fashion
>> >

>> I am indeed the only 'bent rider in the village!

> Junior bent riders ignored at this point.
>
> I presume you mean 'one who rides ones own bent rather than pinching
> that of the parents.'
>
> ..d

That would be the more accurate assessment of the situation. Rode Mr Norbert
Frosty up to the local CTC meet this evening. Night cycling sur 'bent is
*magical*. Lovely cloudless sky. Seating position gives excellent view of
night sky without having to crane neck awkwardly... *Wonderful* And to top
it off, I won a bottle of Rioja in the raffle :)

Cheers, helen s