Recumbents in the White Mountains

Chris Champion

Guest
Hi all,

I'm sure that my DF buddies have me psyched out, so I've come here for some solace...

My wife and I are planning to ride our Double Vision (tandem recumbent) through the White Mountains
the week after July 4th. I plan to ride some of the following:

Franconia Notch Bike Path Crawford Notch Kancamagus Highway Pinkham Notch Kinsman's Notch

Are all of these possible? I have a 26f/34r low gear, and lots of time and patience. We will be
riding self-supported; food, clothes, sleeping bags, tent.

Thanks for the input!

Chris Champion 2001 Double Vision R85 USS 1996 Vision R40 SWB OSS

> Hi all,
>
> I'm sure that my DF buddies have me psyched out, so I've come here for some solace...
>
> My wife and I are planning to ride our Double Vision (tandem recumbent) through the White
> Mountains the week after July 4th. I plan to ride some of the following:
>
> Franconia Notch Bike Path Crawford Notch Kancamagus Highway Pinkham Notch Kinsman's Notch
>
> Are all of these possible? I have a 26f/34r low gear, and lots of time and patience. We will be
> riding self-supported; food, clothes, sleeping bags, tent.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> Chris Champion 2001 Double Vision R85 USS 1996 Vision R40 SWB OSS

Care for some advice from a "Flatlander" that has neve made it to the White Mountains? If you have
followed some of the recent threads on % grade and climbing 'bents, you probably have your answer.
With a low gear as you describe, you are well suited for self contained touring. Most (all?) of the
tours that I have taken recently, involved climbing. I'm not sure how a tandem will enter into the
equation, but with good spinning techniques, you should not have any difficulty on a recumbent.
Possible exceptions might include sharply climbing switchbacks. If you are familiar with hills, then
you are probably prepared for the loaded tour. If you are a flatlander like me, training may be a
problem. A lot will depend on the strength and endurance of your stoker. This would hold equally
true on a DF.

Have a great trip!!!

- Bellaire, TX USA -

news:[email protected]...