Recumbents in the White Mountains

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris Champion, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm sure that my DF buddies have me psyched out, so I've come here for some solace...

    My wife and I are planning to ride our Double Vision (tandem recumbent) through the White Mountains
    the week after July 4th. I plan to ride some of the following:

    Franconia Notch Bike Path Crawford Notch Kancamagus Highway Pinkham Notch Kinsman's Notch

    Are all of these possible? I have a 26f/34r low gear, and lots of time and patience. We will be
    riding self-supported; food, clothes, sleeping bags, tent.

    Thanks for the input!

    Chris Champion 2001 Double Vision R85 USS 1996 Vision R40 SWB OSS

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm sure that my DF buddies have me psyched out, so I've come here for some solace...
    >
    > My wife and I are planning to ride our Double Vision (tandem recumbent) through the White
    > Mountains the week after July 4th. I plan to ride some of the following:
    >
    > Franconia Notch Bike Path Crawford Notch Kancamagus Highway Pinkham Notch Kinsman's Notch
    >
    > Are all of these possible? I have a 26f/34r low gear, and lots of time and patience. We will be
    > riding self-supported; food, clothes, sleeping bags, tent.
    >
    > Thanks for the input!
    >
    > Chris Champion 2001 Double Vision R85 USS 1996 Vision R40 SWB OSS

    Care for some advice from a "Flatlander" that has neve made it to the White Mountains? If you have
    followed some of the recent threads on % grade and climbing 'bents, you probably have your answer.
    With a low gear as you describe, you are well suited for self contained touring. Most (all?) of the
    tours that I have taken recently, involved climbing. I'm not sure how a tandem will enter into the
    equation, but with good spinning techniques, you should not have any difficulty on a recumbent.
    Possible exceptions might include sharply climbing switchbacks. If you are familiar with hills, then
    you are probably prepared for the loaded tour. If you are a flatlander like me, training may be a
    problem. A lot will depend on the strength and endurance of your stoker. This would hold equally
    true on a DF.

    Have a great trip!!!

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

    news:[email protected]...