Recumbents my arse

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by garryb, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. garryb

    garryb Guest

    And it is my arse that is the subject of much pain.

    Dear god, I can' remember in being in such a pitiful state.
    I took my swb homebuild out for it's longest test today - a 68 mile
    trip to Oxford and back. I was working yesterday so I didn't have the
    opportunity to take advantage of the lovely weather we had here in the
    UK, so I went today, expecting something similiar. Not so. Misty all
    day where I am, and kind of chilly.
    Anyway,this swb I've got is kind of fine. It steers ok, shifts,
    brakes, is reasonably stable.... and has a plywood/foam seat - which I
    thought on my shorter test runs round town was just dandy [longest
    trip had been 15 mile]. I was well chuffed the bike made the trip,
    that was the main purpose of the exercise, but dear god, does my arse
    ache!!! Is this recumbent butt or just a bad seat? Guess I'll find
    that out.
    There are a couple of difficult climbs on the return journey that are
    real killers [to me anyway], which I've always managed to do on my DF,
    but I came so close today to caving in. But I didn't. But only just.
    It was really, really hard. Much harder than I'd anticipated to be
    honest. And I ws really kind of disappointed in a way. And my arse,
    arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    How true is the notion that 'you use different muscles when riding a
    bent'?

    I'm not backing out now, not after all this work, but it's a reality
    check, that's for sure.

    I'm not normally one to relate ride experiences, but this takes the
    biscuit as far as I'm concerned. I have lopads more to write, but I
    need my arms for drinking beer now.

    Anyway, thanks for listening :]

    Garry
    [moving around the place like an 46 yr old man]

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    garryb wrote:

    > And it is my arse that is the subject of much pain.
    >
    > Dear god, I can' remember in being in such a pitiful state.
    > I took my swb homebuild out for it's longest test today - a 68 mile
    > trip to Oxford and back. I was working yesterday so I didn't have the
    > opportunity to take advantage of the lovely weather we had here in the
    > UK, so I went today, expecting something similiar. Not so. Misty all
    > day where I am, and kind of chilly.
    > Anyway,this swb I've got is kind of fine. It steers ok, shifts,
    > brakes, is reasonably stable.... and has a plywood/foam seat - which I
    > thought on my shorter test runs round town was just dandy [longest
    > trip had been 15 mile]. I was well chuffed the bike made the trip,
    > that was the main purpose of the exercise, but dear god, does my arse
    > ache!!! Is this recumbent butt or just a bad seat? Guess I'll find
    > that out.
    > There are a couple of difficult climbs on the return journey that are
    > real killers [to me anyway], which I've always managed to do on my DF,
    > but I came so close today to caving in. But I didn't. But only just.
    > It was really, really hard. Much harder than I'd anticipated to be
    > honest. And I ws really kind of disappointed in a way. And my arse,
    > arrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > How true is the notion that 'you use different muscles when riding a
    > bent'?
    >
    > I'm not backing out now, not after all this work, but it's a reality
    > check, that's for sure.
    >
    > I'm not normally one to relate ride experiences, but this takes the
    > biscuit as far as I'm concerned. I have lopads more to write, but I
    > need my arms for drinking beer now.
    >
    > Anyway, thanks for listening :]
    >
    > Garry
    > [moving around the place like an 46 yr old man]

    Garry,

    Can you post photos of your bike someplace on the web?

    What is you seatback recline angle (measured from the horizontal)?

    The recumbent riding position does tend to use the muscles in the
    posterior area more than an upright bicycle, so soreness can occur from
    overuse. The solution to this is the same as with other physical activities.

    Your seat may be too upright or shaped improperly. For an upright seat,
    some padding is necessary [1]. A foam pad over a molded base (e.g. RANS,
    Bacchetta mesh seats) or over a sling mesh (e.g. Lightning, Longbikes)
    is generally used on bikes with a fairly upright seating position. Some
    riders find a sling mesh with padding comfortable.

    Molded hard-shell seats (e.g. Challenge, Optima, HPVelotechnik, M5) are
    found to be comfortable by a lot of riders, but usually only when the
    seatback is at an angle of 35 degrees or less from the horizontal.

    [1] OK, I know a couple of people who can be comfortable riding on a
    board covered with outdoor carpet in a fairly upright position, but they
    are the exceptions to the rule.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

  3. Ian Boag

    Ian Boag Guest

    garryb <[email protected]> wrote:

    >And it is my arse that is the subject of much pain.
    >
    >Dear god, I can' remember in being in such a pitiful state.

    <snip>

    I have two bikes - a Linear LWB with a flat padded seat like the one
    you describe, and a Haluzak SWB with a "sling" seat ie starps hung in
    a seat frame.

    The padded seat is bad news after a while. Like yours. The sling seat
    is no problem. I have contemplated making a sling seat for the Linear.

    >biscuit as far as I'm concerned. I have lopads more to write, but I
    >need my arms for drinking beer now.
    >
    >Anyway, thanks for listening :]
    >
    >Garry
    >[moving around the place like an 46 yr old man]

  4. garryb

    garryb Guest

    >Garry,
    >
    >Can you post photos of your bike someplace on the web?

    Tom, this is about the best I can do for now without taking more
    photos, and right now, I can't move :)

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vindaloo77/pednor.jpg

    >What is you seatback recline angle (measured from the horizontal)?

    This is the angle, although I did set it back a touch more today
    before the ride.

    >The recumbent riding position does tend to use the muscles in the
    >posterior area more than an upright bicycle, so soreness can occur from
    >overuse. The solution to this is the same as with other physical activities.

    Sure. I wasn't really suffering from bad numbness throughout the ride.
    A bit, but nothing uncomfortable. It wasn't until I finished that it
    really hit me.

    >Your seat may be too upright or shaped improperly. For an upright seat,
    >some padding is necessary [1]. A foam pad over a molded base (e.g. RANS,
    >Bacchetta mesh seats) or over a sling mesh (e.g. Lightning, Longbikes)
    >is generally used on bikes with a fairly upright seating position. Some
    >riders find a sling mesh with padding comfortable.

    Yes, to be honest, I hadn't given the seat a great deal of thought. To
    use a bit of ply with foam was the quickest/cheapest option. Like I
    said, for a few miles, this was ok....but I may have to reconsider!
    Might have to ge tthe MIG out again and try and make one of the sling
    seats I've seen plans for on the net.

    >Molded hard-shell seats (e.g. Challenge, Optima, HPVelotechnik, M5) are
    >found to be comfortable by a lot of riders, but usually only when the
    >seatback is at an angle of 35 degrees or less from the horizontal.

    >[1] OK, I know a couple of people who can be comfortable riding on a
    >board covered with outdoor carpet in a fairly upright position, but they
    >are the exceptions to the rule.

    Ok, cheers for the input.

    Garry

  5. garryb

    garryb Guest

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:21:46 GMT, [email protected] (Ian Boag) wrote:

    >garryb <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>And it is my arse that is the subject of much pain.
    >>
    >>Dear god, I can' remember in being in such a pitiful state.

    ><snip>
    >
    >I have two bikes - a Linear LWB with a flat padded seat like the one
    >you describe, and a Haluzak SWB with a "sling" seat ie starps hung in
    >a seat frame.
    >
    >The padded seat is bad news after a while. Like yours. The sling seat
    >is no problem. I have contemplated making a sling seat for the Linear.

    I'm contemplating it too now :)

    Garry

    >>biscuit as far as I'm concerned. I have lopads more to write, but I
    >>need my arms for drinking beer now.
    >>
    >>Anyway, thanks for listening :]
    >>
    >>Garry
    >>[moving around the place like an 46 yr old man]

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    garryb wrote:

    >>Garry,
    >>
    >>Can you post photos of your bike someplace on the web?

    > Tom, this is about the best I can do for now without taking more
    > photos, and right now, I can't move :)
    >
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/vindaloo77/pednor.jpg

    If you are eating Dave Lister style vindaloo, I understand why you are
    having problems. ;)

    >>What is you seatback recline angle (measured from the horizontal)?

    > This is the angle, although I did set it back a touch more today
    > before the ride.

    That appears to be a bit upright for the amount of padding over a solid
    base.

    >>The recumbent riding position does tend to use the muscles in the
    >>posterior area more than an upright bicycle, so soreness can occur from
    >>overuse. The solution to this is the same as with other physical activities.

    > Sure. I wasn't really suffering from bad numbness throughout the ride.
    > A bit, but nothing uncomfortable. It wasn't until I finished that it
    > really hit me.
    >

    >>Your seat may be too upright or shaped improperly. For an upright seat,
    >>some padding is necessary [1]. A foam pad over a molded base (e.g. RANS,
    >>Bacchetta mesh seats) or over a sling mesh (e.g. Lightning, Longbikes)
    >>is generally used on bikes with a fairly upright seating position. Some
    >>riders find a sling mesh with padding comfortable.

    > Yes, to be honest, I hadn't given the seat a great deal of thought. To
    > use a bit of ply with foam was the quickest/cheapest option. Like I
    > said, for a few miles, this was ok....but I may have to reconsider!
    > Might have to ge tthe MIG out again and try and make one of the sling
    > seats I've seen plans for on the net....

    I believe a different seat or more recline would help, if gradual
    accommodation to the seat and riding position does not occur.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)