recumbents on european trains

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by bentdrew, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. bentdrew

    bentdrew New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2004
    i am planning to travel throughout europe by bike, preferably a recumbent, this coming spring and i've heard various things about restrictions on recumbent bikes on some trains in europe. has anyone had experience with this? i just built a very expensive wedgie based on some information about italian trains being very restrictive about any unusual sorts of bikes. finding the wedgie predictably uncomfortable i'm back to considering taking a recumbet.

    bentdrew

    Tags:

  2. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    bentdrew <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > i am planning to travel throughout europe by bike, preferably a
    > recumbent, this coming spring and i've heard various things about
    > restrictions on recumbent bikes on some trains in europe. has anyone
    > had experience with this? i just built a very expensive wedgie based
    > on some information about italian trains being very restrictive about
    > any unusual sorts of bikes. finding the wedgie predictably
    > uncomfortable i'm back to considering taking a recumbet.
    >
    > bentdrew

    I just got back from a 17 day trip to germany. I rode the trains from
    the Black forest up to Muenster and back down to Wien Austria. I rode
    the local [stops at every village] Red colored trains and the ICE high
    speed trains.The ICE trains do not allow bikes and have very little
    room for carry on luggage.The local red trains do have cars that are
    for bikes. The bike area on these cars was not that big and to get to
    that area you have to go through a short but narrow isle which is just
    off the train door. I would not want to try taking a LWB or a SWB with
    the boom sticking out on to one of these trains. A bike E type of
    recumbent would be my pick for train travel. After seeing how they
    deal with bikes on trains I now know I would not want to mix
    recumbents and trains . Don't know about the other Countries.

  3. bentdrew wrote:
    > i am planning to travel throughout europe by bike, preferably a
    > recumbent, this coming spring and i've heard various things about
    > restrictions on recumbent bikes on some trains in europe. has anyone
    > had experience with this? i just built a very expensive wedgie based
    > on some information about italian trains being very restrictive about
    > any unusual sorts of bikes. finding the wedgie predictably
    > uncomfortable i'm back to considering taking a recumbet.
    >
    > bentdrew

    Denmark in short :
    a bike is max 200cm long (it's usually not a problem)
    on the electric trains of copenhagen, you can't bring a bike in the worst
    commuting period.
    on most other trains you can bring it if there's room.

    Are you visiting Denmark?

    Regards,
    Torben

  4. Quest0029

    Quest0029 Guest

  5. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com says...

    > i am planning to travel throughout europe by bike, preferably a
    > recumbent, this coming spring and i've heard various things about
    > restrictions on recumbent bikes on some trains in europe. has anyone
    > had experience with this? i just built a very expensive wedgie based
    > on some information about italian trains being very restrictive about
    > any unusual sorts of bikes. finding the wedgie predictably
    > uncomfortable i'm back to considering taking a recumbet.

    Europe is a big place. Lots of rail lines and all with different rules. Most European rail lines
    have websites with requirements/restrictions on travel by cycle. Check them out.

    I've had my bent on trains in the Czech Republic and Denmark. I know it is also possible on many
    Austrian trains. Some require a ticket, others you check the bike in a baggage car.
    --

    Cletus D. Lee
    Bacchetta Giro

  6. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > bentdrew wrote:
    > > i am planning to travel throughout europe by bike, preferably a
    > > recumbent, this coming spring and i've heard various things about
    > > restrictions on recumbent bikes on some trains in europe. has anyone
    > > had experience with this? i just built a very expensive wedgie based
    > > on some information about italian trains being very restrictive about
    > > any unusual sorts of bikes. finding the wedgie predictably
    > > uncomfortable i'm back to considering taking a recumbet.
    > >
    > > bentdrew

    > Denmark in short :
    > a bike is max 200cm long (it's usually not a problem)
    > on the electric trains of copenhagen, you can't bring a bike in the worst
    > commuting period.
    > on most other trains you can bring it if there's room.
    >
    > Are you visiting Denmark?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Torben

    Been there, Done that! Maybe do it again in 2005. Stay tuned...
    --

    Cletus D. Lee
    Bacchetta Aero-Basso

  7. bentdrew

    bentdrew New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2004
    thanks for the reply, torben. no, i probalby won't be visiting denmark.

    bentdrew

  8. Perry Butler

    Perry Butler Guest

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >The ICE trains do not allow bikes and have very little
    > room for carry on luggage.

    Just got back from 6 weeks in Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic. The
    ICE train that took us from Innsbruck to Stuttgard had a car for bikes and
    their riders. Normal lenght bikes hung on end on their rear wheels. A
    couple had a tandem and it looked like they were strapping the bike to the
    inside of the car. There seemed to be plenty of room for luggage also. At
    Stuttgard I saw another ICE train with a car for bikes, so some of the ICE
    trains will haul bikes.

    We had left our bikes in Innsbruck for the quick jaunt to Stuttgard to see
    Terry's aunt and cousin.

    Enjoy,

    Perry B

  9. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >The ICE trains do not allow bikes and have very little
    > > room for carry on luggage.

    > Just got back from 6 weeks in Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic.

    The
    > ICE train that took us from Innsbruck to Stuttgard had a car for bikes and
    > their riders. Normal lenght bikes hung on end on their rear wheels. A
    > couple had a tandem and it looked like they were strapping the bike to the
    > inside of the car. There seemed to be plenty of room for luggage also.

    At
    > Stuttgard I saw another ICE train with a car for bikes, so some of the ICE
    > trains will haul bikes.
    >
    > We had left our bikes in Innsbruck for the quick jaunt to Stuttgard to see
    > Terry's aunt and cousin.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    >
    > Perry B

    My God! Perry Butler is back from his European vacation! Now my misery with
    him will recommence. I will have to gird and steel myself against his
    outrageous assaults on my humble messages to this newsgroup yet once again.
    It always takes one Minnesota bastard to know another Minnesota bastard and
    treat him accordingly. Well, no quarter asked and none given.

    You would think someone who had just spent 6 weeks in Europe on a bicycle
    might have a little something to say about it other blathering about the
    g.d. trains. But that is ARBR for you. Always boring you to death with
    trivial nonsense.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  10. Cletus Lee wrote:

    >> Denmark in short :
    >> a bike is max 200cm long (it's usually not a problem)
    >> on the electric trains of copenhagen, you can't bring a bike in the
    >> worst commuting period.
    >> on most other trains you can bring it if there's room.
    >>
    >> Are you visiting Denmark?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Torben

    > Been there, Done that! Maybe do it again in 2005. Stay tuned...

    Remember to order the weather in advance! ;-)

    "Sletten havn" at noon?

    Regards,
    Torben

  11. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com says...

    > > Are you visiting Denmark?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Torben

    > thanks for the reply, torben. no, i probalby won't be visiting
    > denmark.

    Pity, it's your loss, then.

    --

    Cletus D. Lee
    Bacchetta Aero Basso

  12. bentdrew

    bentdrew New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2004
    dear mr. dolan,

    this response from perry butler was in answer to a query i posted regarding bike on european trains. i suggest that if you have issues with him, that you address them through some forum other than this. your remarks had no bearing on the subject of the tread and frankly, i found them offensive.

    thank you

    bentdrew

  13. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "bentdrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > dear mr. dolan,
    >
    > this response from perry butler was in answer to a query i posted
    > regarding bike on european trains. i suggest that if you have issues
    > with him, that you address them through some forum other than this.
    > your remarks had no bearing on the subject of the tread and frankly, i
    > found them offensive.
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > bentdrew
    >
    > Edward Dolan Wrote:
    > > "Perry Butler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > Just got back from 6 weeks in Austria, Germany and the Czech

    > > Republic.
    > > The
    > > > ICE train that took us from Innsbruck to Stuttgard had a car for

    > > bikes and
    > > > their riders. Normal lenght bikes hung on end on their rear wheels. A
    > > > couple had a tandem and it looked like they were strapping the bike

    > > to the
    > > > inside of the car. There seemed to be plenty of room for luggage

    > > also.
    > > At
    > > > Stuttgard I saw another ICE train with a car for bikes, so some of

    > > the ICE
    > > > trains will haul bikes.
    > > >
    > > > We had left our bikes in Innsbruck for the quick jaunt to Stuttgard

    > > to see
    > > > Terry's aunt and cousin.
    > > >
    > > > Enjoy,
    > > >
    > > > Perry B

    > > My God! Perry Butler is back from his European vacation! Now my misery
    > > with
    > > him will recommence. I will have to gird and steel myself against his
    > > outrageous assaults on my humble messages to this newsgroup yet once
    > > again.
    > > It always takes one Minnesota bastard to know another Minnesota bastard
    > > and
    > > treat him accordingly. Well, no quarter asked and none given.
    > >
    > > You would think someone who had just spent 6 weeks in Europe on a
    > > bicycle
    > > might have a little something to say about it other than blathering

    about
    > > the
    > > g.d. trains. But that is ARBR for you. Always boring you to death with
    > > trivial nonsense.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    > --
    > bentdrew

    Sigh! Another top poster!

    If you knew Perry Butler like I know him via these ARBR messages, you would
    no doubt understand what it was all about. But stay tuned. You will soon
    find out just what kind of jackass old Perry is. And after a bit, you can
    choose which of us two jackasses you would prefer to do a bike ride with.

    May I also suggest that if you are so easily offended, that you find
    yourself another newsgroup where all is sweetness and light? ARBR is well
    known for being sour and dark.

    By the way, my remarks were directed solely at him and had nothing to do
    with you.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  14. Slugger

    Slugger Guest

    > ARBR is well
    > known for being sour and dark.

    yes that describes you perfectly.

  15. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Slugger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:060820042036537874%[email protected]

    > > ARBR is well
    > > known for being sour and dark.

    > yes that describes you perfectly.

    Well, at least slugger bottom posted! But he should have written at the top:

    Edward Dolan wrote:

    How the heck is anyone else going to know who wrote those immortal words ...
    "ARBR is well known for being sour and dark."

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  16. Melanie

    Melanie Guest

    Bentdrew,

    Among the many bikes we own, (six at present) my favorite is have a
    BikeFriday SatRDay. You can fold it up and put it in a bag, and go
    whereever you want. It is also my favorite recumbent of the four that
    I own. Its comfortable, fast and problem free. I am about to mine
    refurbished because I have ridden it practically everywhere, and
    traveled all over. The company is great to deal with. They have been
    working on some design changes, so I am not sure what the company
    plans for the bike. But I can heartily recommend the bike and the
    company.

    www.bikefriday.com

    Melanie