Recumbents on TV

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mark Wolfe, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I caught a glimpse of the happenings at Battle Mountain on one of the discovery channels, however I
    can't seem to find any mention of it now. Was/Is Battle Mountain going to be televised? I'm building
    my first bent, and am really interested in the Battle Mountain speed trials.

    Thanks, Mark Wolfe

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 "World domination. Fast." (By Linus Torvalds)

    Tags:

  2. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I caught a glimpse of the happenings at Battle Mountain on one of the discovery channels, however
    > I can't seem to find any mention of it now. Was/Is Battle Mountain going to be televised? I'm
    > building my first bent, and am really interested in the Battle Mountain speed trials.
    >
    > Thanks, Mark Wolfe

    I saw an ad for The Science Channel that showed faired beasts on a lonely highway, among other
    things. The end of the ad only mentions "To get the Science Channel call your cable or satellite tv
    provider..." Nothing more specific. rorschandt

  3. "Mark Wolfe" skrev...
    > I caught a glimpse of the happenings at Battle Mountain on one of the discovery channels, however
    > I can't seem to find any mention of it now. Was/Is Battle Mountain going to be televised? I'm
    > building my first bent, and am really interested in the Battle Mountain speed trials.

    There was an episode of Extreme Machines devoted to bikes. Featured quite a few recumbents and Matt
    Weaver and Sam Whittingham and their bikes. The black Varna is shown running on a highway and
    demonstrating what happens when noone is there to catch it when it stops. *kabonk*.

    Nothing from Battle Mountain but someone had a DVD or such from last years event for sale?

    Mikael

  4. Brian Martin

    Brian Martin Guest

    You should read the stuff about the Varna bicycles beating the British team the year before. Artist
    vs. computer technology, nothing but the "Blue Yonder" to see if money can work eh! Get the DVD, it
    has some great footage of some guy (don't remember my own name let alone his) on a bent, with the
    wheels sticking out real far doing well. As well as my favourite Chicagoan (don't know any others
    :) ), Warren with his great times on the Barracuda. You should start with IHPVA site, and go from
    there http://www.ihpva.org/ . The wisil site has the best coverage of the events I have followed for
    the last two years or so. http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/

    Brian

  5. Brian Martin wrote:

    > great footage of some guy on a bent, with the wheels sticking out real far doing well.

    That'd be Steve "Rotator" Delaire's "Big Gun" (aka "Tunnel Vision" ;-). Went over 60 in spite of
    Steve's having no truck with the notion of clipless pedals, "proper" cycling gear, etc.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. murray

    murray Guest

    Hey Mark,

    What are you building??

    I'm in the process of finishing my own version of the "Ground Hugger". It's rideable, but I'm in the
    process of re-making the rear swing arm; the current one is all Aluminum while the new one will be
    all composite with metal inserts at high stress points. I also need to install front an rear brakes
    and both de-railers.

    Mike Murray

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 04:21:08 GMT, Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I caught a glimpse of the happenings at Battle Mountain on one of the discovery channels, however I
    >can't seem to find any mention of it now. Was/Is Battle Mountain going to be televised? I'm
    >building my first bent, and am really interested in the Battle Mountain speed trials.
    >
    >Thanks, Mark Wolfe

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Brian Martin wrote:

    > ... As well as my favourite Chicagoan (don't know any others :) ), Warren with his great times on
    > the Barracuda....

    Sean Costin [1] in the Coslinger Special is also from the greater Chicago area.

    [1] One of the three people to exceed 70 mph in a HPV under legal record conditions.

  8. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    I'm thinking that's what I saw too. Looked like the picture on the
    http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ which is why I thought it was battle mountain. FWIW, I'm
    building a short wheel base bentech for starters, using parts I already have laying around. The aero
    stuff is down the road, may journy up to Battle Mountain to check it all out in the fall.

    rorschandt wrote:

    > Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> I caught a glimpse of the happenings at Battle Mountain on one of the discovery channels, however
    >> I can't seem to find any mention of it now. Was/Is Battle Mountain going to be televised? I'm
    >> building my first bent, and am really interested in the Battle Mountain speed trials.
    >>
    >> Thanks, Mark Wolfe
    >>

    > I saw an ad for The Science Channel that showed faired beasts on a lonely highway, among other
    > things. The end of the ad only mentions "To get the Science Channel call your cable or satellite
    > tv provider..." Nothing more specific. rorschandt

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 People in a Position to Know, Inc.

  9. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm thinking that's what I saw too. Looked like the picture on the
    > http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/ which is why I thought it was battle mountain. FWIW, I'm
    > building a short wheel base bentech for starters, using parts I already have laying around. The
    > aero stuff is down the road, may journy up to Battle Mountain to check it all out in the fall.

    Mark, make the trip any way you can. I went last fall (pictures at
    http://www.ohpv.org/bm2002/hpsc2002.html) and it was a blast even though I only there two days.

    It's funny- seeing streamliners go by at 55-60 mph becomes rather normal- then Sam lays down an 80
    mph pass and your jow drops to the ground.

    Jeff