Red Bull or Monster Energy drink before a race

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by LS17, May 19, 2006.

1. LS17

LS17 New Member

Would consuming a can of Red Bull Or Monster Energy drink help out?

Tags:

2. xxbackhillxx

xxbackhillxx New Member

no. IIRC Red Bull causes heart palpitation. Monster can't be much better.

3. SeanKimStyle

SeanKimStyle New Member

eat lots of good carbs and a banana

4. seriouslydog

seriouslydog New Member

Scanning old threads I saw this and thought I'd mention that one of Phonak's riders was occasionally drinking full bottles of Red Bull during the T de F. Can't remember who it was though.

Those "energy" drinks contain tremendous amounts of caffeine, often times hidden in the label under other names like guarana or guaranine, mateine or theine. The difference here is only the source.

Here's some info from Wikipedia that should be of interest (especially the second paragraph):

The metabolites of caffeine contribute to caffeine's effects. Theobromine is a vasodilator that increases the amount of oxygen and nutrient flow to the brain and muscles. Theophylline, the second of the three primary metabolites, acts as a smooth muscle relaxant that chiefly affects bronchioles and acts as a chronotrope and inotrope that increases heart rate and efficiency. The third metabolic derivative, paraxanthine, is responsible for an increase in the lipolysis process, which releases glycerol and fatty acids into the blood to be used as a source of fuel by the muscles (Dews et al. 1984).

With these effects, caffeine is considered an ergogenic: increasing the capacity for mental or physical labor. A study conducted in 1979 showed a 7% increase in distance cycled over a period of two hours in subjects who consumed caffeine compared to control tests (Ivy et al. 1979). Other studies attained much more dramatic results; one particular study of trained runners showed a 44% increase in "race-pace" endurance, as well as a 51% increase in cycling endurance, after a dosage of 9 milligrams of caffeine per kilogram of body weight (Graham & Spriet 1991). The extensive boost shown in the runners is not an isolated case; additional studies have reported similar effects. Another study found 5.5 milligrams of caffeine per kilogram of body mass resulted in subjects cycling 29% longer during high intensity circuits (Trice & Hayes 1995).

So yes, it definitely improves performance. But, like in all things, too much of a good thing... Sensitivity to caffeine varies in individuals and anyone that has ever overdosed on caffeine can attest that it is quite uncomfortable, especially when you begin crashing.

5. discobean7

discobean7 New Member

Seriouslydog's info is absolutely correct. Caffeine is an ergogenic aid and was only taken off the banned list during the last few years I believe. As for how much to take this will depend on whether you are caffeine-naive or a habitual user/addict like myself. It's best to work out your dosing on training rides rather than before a race. Red Bull (1 can) has 80 milligrams of caffeine. Mountain Dew has 55mg per 8oz so that's 138mg in a 20oz bottle. Vivarin has 200mg per pill. Home brewed coffee is usally 80-150mg per 8oz although this is highly variable. Also places like Starbucks are rumored to have double or more the usual amount of caffeine (just read 550mg per 16oz cup of regular coffee). Downside will be feeling jittery, artificially elevated heart rate, and risk for dehydration so drink extra water.

6. jock.c

jock.c New Member

Caffeine is a stimulant. It is not currently on the banned list of drugs. Its effect will be different from persion to person.

A lot of people at club level ascribe to the benefits of caffeine (and there are plenty) and will down a bottle of caffeine loaded liquid like coke or red bull in the last 15 minutes before a race.

Never seen it really help anyone though. The trouble is the carrier. It's loaded with sugar, so you get a burst of energy for 20 minutes and then you get 'the sugar low' which is not fun.

You're better off consuming a low GI breakfast formula like sustagen or Up'n'Go (Oz). It's up to you to work out how much of these things you will need and when to take them for best effect.

(FWIW: I avoid caffeine altogether as any excess takes root in the muscle fabric and displaces other things you need, like water.)

7. blindsaint

blindsaint New Member

I'd go with Rockstar or Amp, I think it tastes better...

If you are going to use caffine, think abuot the pills (they don't have sugar) or diet/sugar free energy drinks. I've OD'ed on Caffine (Rockstar, M. Dew, 2 pills) and you get a burst of energy but it doesn't come from nowhere. When it fades, you go into depresion... not good. Don't take more than your body can handle. Also, it normaly takes between 30-45 minutes before it starts working to plan it out for when you really need it, don't just be drinking pure energy the whhole race.