Red Light Jumping Clampdown in City?

Peter Grange

Guest
Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon two of London's finest were
stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction. Today they were
writing something, but I don't know if they were tickets or not. Also
yesterday about 17:45 I saw a m/c cop stop two cyclists, one either
side of London Bridge, for a similar reason. He was just telling them
off though, no tickets.

--

Peter Grange

Maybe the question at Mayor's Question Time (the GLA getting answers
from Ken Livingston ) has prompted more action : (and I personally
would support it !)
<<<
Question No: 1091 / 2007

Andrew Pelling

How much resource is being applied by traffic police in London to
catch cyclists ignoring red lights?

Response from the Mayor

Traffic police officers count for only a small percentage of the
uniformed police presence on the road at any one time that are
available to deal with the enforcement of pedal cycle offences.

MPS officers have a variety of intervention options available to them
for dealing with road traffic offences. For minor infringements of the
law, advice would be given, but obviously for the more serious
incidents, the offender can be prosecuted.

Last year the MPS issued nearly 500 Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) to
pedal cyclists for contravening red traffic lights.

> two of London's finest were
> stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
> on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction.

Ace.

On 6 Jun, 19:44, Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon two of London's finest were
> stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
> on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction. Today they were
> writing something, but I don't know if they were tickets or not. Also
> yesterday about 17:45 I saw a m/c cop stop two cyclists, one either
> side of London Bridge, for a similar reason. He was just telling them
> off though, no tickets.

I heard from a collegue yesterday that the police were having a
crackdown, zero tolerance and 30 quid on the spot fines

"POHB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 6 Jun, 19:44, Peter Grange <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon two of London's finest were
>> stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
>> on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction. Today they were
>> writing something, but I don't know if they were tickets or not. Also
>> yesterday about 17:45 I saw a m/c cop stop two cyclists, one either
>> side of London Bridge, for a similar reason. He was just telling them
>> off though, no tickets.

> I heard from a collegue yesterday that the police were having a
> crackdown, zero tolerance and 30 quid on the spot fines

I'll be the first to ask....

Were they doing the same with motor vehicles?
--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

TimHenderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> Last year the MPS issued nearly 500 Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs) to
> pedal cyclists for contravening red traffic lights.

Do we know how many were issued to motorists?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:44:47 +0100, Peter Grange
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon two of London's finest were
>stopping cyclists who had recently jumped the lights at red southbound
>on Bishopsgate at the Threadneedle Street junction. Today they were
>writing something, but I don't know if they were tickets or not. Also
>yesterday about 17:45 I saw a m/c cop stop two cyclists, one either
>side of London Bridge, for a similar reason. He was just telling them
>off though, no tickets.

I have seen two Police cyclists giving cyclists tickets on Holborn,
near Chancery Lane tube station, on a couple of mornings this week. I
did overhear one of the police officers saying that he was going to
give the cyclist "a ticket" but I'm not sure what the offence was.

Colleagues seemed to think that there was a clamp down on, for
example, cyclists who cycle through crowds of pedestrians on
crossings.

I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
into the road in front of cyclists.

Judith

On Jun 7, 10:52 pm, Judith <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
> into the road in front of cyclists.

It's not illegal for pedestrians to do that, certainly not a traffic
offence anyway.

--
Dave...

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:54:57 -0000, dkahn400 <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
>> into the road in front of cyclists.

>It's not illegal for pedestrians to do that, certainly not a traffic
>offence anyway.

No, but it's flippin' annoying!

In article <[email protected]>,
dkahn400
[email protected] says...
> On Jun 7, 10:52 pm, Judith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
> > into the road in front of cyclists.

> It's not illegal for pedestrians to do that, certainly not a traffic
> offence anyway.

What about "16: Moving vehicles. You MUST NOT get on to or hold on to a
moving vehicle."? :) As a lad I once "got onto" the bonnet of a car
when I failed to notice its approach while crossing a road.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> dkahn400
> [email protected] says...
>> On Jun 7, 10:52 pm, Judith <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
>>> into the road in front of cyclists.

>> It's not illegal for pedestrians to do that, certainly not a traffic
>> offence anyway.
>>

> What about "16: Moving vehicles. You MUST NOT get on to or hold on to a
> moving vehicle."? :) As a lad I once "got onto" the bonnet of a car
> when I failed to notice its approach while crossing a road.

"... for the purpose of being drawn", or something like that, if you
check the Act (RTA 1988, I think).

-dan

On 7 Jun, 22:52, Judith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:44:47 +0100, Peter Grange
>

> I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
> into the road in front of cyclists.
>
> Judith

According to many in here it's not a problem, cyclists are alert and
very careful. Should they collide with a pedestrian nothing more than
a few scratches and no fatalities, so no problems all round then.

or do you think that when a pedestrian steps into the road, they
should exercise due care and diligent when they do, so not to hinder
other road users?

"The other view point, there is one you know..." [ We know only too well
there is another point of view, we hear too much of it elsewhere] wrote

>> I was not aware of any action being taken against pedestrians who step
>> into the road in front of cyclists.
>>
>> Judith

> According to many in here it's not a problem, cyclists are alert and
> very careful. Should they collide with a pedestrian nothing more than
> a few scratches and no fatalities, so no problems all round then.
>
> or do you think that when a pedestrian steps into the road, they
> should exercise due care and diligent when they do, so not to hinder
> other road users?

I think that one of the few useful functions of cars is that they keep the
road clear of pedestrians for us. If all peds had to fear was bikes, they
would take over more of the road.

Mike Sales

Daniel Barlow wrote on 08/06/2007 15:43 +0100:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>>>

>> What about "16: Moving vehicles. You MUST NOT get on to or hold on to
>> a moving vehicle."? :) As a lad I once "got onto" the bonnet of a
>> car when I failed to notice its approach while crossing a road.

> "... for the purpose of being drawn", or something like that, if you
> check the Act (RTA 1988, I think).

I've never seen anybody get onto a moving vehicle for the purpose of
being sketched. YMMV ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

Tony Raven wrote:
> I've never seen anybody get onto a moving vehicle for the purpose of
> being sketched. YMMV ;-)

I've seen on many occasions people holding onto a moving vehicle for the
purpose of skitching, which is only one letter (and a change from
passive to active voice, OK) different. Does that count?

Wikipedia writes:
| The skitched vehicle can either be aware of their load or unaware.
| When the skitcher is discovered by a previously unaware driver, the
| driver's reaction is sometimes negative, sometimes positive.

which seems to cover all the bases. My dog's so clever that when I ask
him if he wants to comes for a walk or not he either comes or he doesn't.

-dan