UK and Europe · Public discussion

red lights

Started by Wobbles · · Last activity · 194 posts · 5,849 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 May 2004
Last activity
5 June 2004
Original author
Wobbles
Posts
194
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,849
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–140 of 194
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On Sat, 29 May 2004 15:50:46 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
    <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less):

    Quoted message said:
    Daniel Barlow said:

    but wouldn't it be just as effective simply to to _give
    way_ to people on pedestrian crossings? In the the
    scenario Pete desribed there was nobody on the crossing
    and "a big area of unobstructed wide pavement around
    [it]": if a cyclist crosses a pedestrian crossing and
    there's nobody else to be affected by it, who's going to
    be [censored]?

    The "zero tolerance" argument is that we can't trust all
    cyclists to make that decision because some of them are too
    thick or reckless. Thing is, we trust them when the signal
    is on flashing amber, and we trust them to make far more
    dangerous manoeuvres without the assistance of traffic
    lights at other junctions.

    The other argument is that if we can trust cyclists, we can
    trust motorists. Well, we already do with the flashing
    amber. But, in any case, traffic lights are as much about
    convenience* as safety. They are largely used because we
    need to control the huge number of cars on the roads to
    create gaps**. The number of cyclists is minute in
    comparison, and don't totally clog up hundreds of yards of
    road en mass, so why not give them some priorities to
    assist them and promote this form of transport? Because it
    would [censored] motorists, they say (by making them jealous
    as they wait behind, I suppose). Yes, I also think that's
    not a good enough reason.


    ...

    The key question is, is having cyclists ignore red lights en
    masse the best way to get the necessary majority of road-
    users to support this change to the rules of the road?

    --
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: gawnsoft.co.srgawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: html.dnsalias.nethtml.dnsalias.net Smalltalk
    links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
    html.dnsalias.netsmalltalk

  2. On Sun, 30 May 2004 01:47:08 +0100, Daniel Barlow
    <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less): ...

    Quoted message said:

    What you haven't done is given any credible evidence that
    it is the actual act of _running a red light_ that
    annoys/startles/scares them - as opposed to, for example,
    cycling into them, or at high speed through bunches of them
    causing them to have to leap for cover, or whatever other
    inconsiderate behaviour the law also protects against. ...

    Just like people aren't bothered by drunk-driving. They're
    only bothered by being mowed down by drunk-drivers.

    Or people aren't bothered by blatant speeders. They're only
    bothered by being mown down by speeders.

    Or people aren't bothered by people driving while on mobile
    phones. they're only bothered by by drivers nearly driving
    over them while attending to their phone call rather than
    the road conditions...

    --
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: gawnsoft.co.srgawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: html.dnsalias.nethtml.dnsalias.net Smalltalk
    links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
    html.dnsalias.netsmalltalk

  3. Peter Clinch said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    We don't need to keep on adding waiting time to junctions
    to be ever "safer". There are other ways.

    You seem to be wilfully missing the point I'm making,
    which is deciding on the "other ways" apropos of you
    happen to feel like that at the time pisses people off and
    [censored] people are not the key to a safe riding
    environment.

    I don't think I'm missing your point, certainly not
    wilfully. I just don't accept it. I do not accept that
    people will be [censored] if cyclists are *legally*
    permitted to turn left through certain red lights that have
    a special sign (for example). I have taken the point about
    "poor behaviour" pissing people off but I'm proposing isn't
    "poor", IMO.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm all in favour of better rules for cyclists.

    Good.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't see that breaking the existing ones and annoying
    people in the process is a good way to get people on your
    side with this.

    I agree with that. Regarding breaking exsiting laws, I was
    merely correcting the idea that is was always actually
    dangerous each time it is done. I do understand your points
    about "scaling" and making other road users angry. I don't
    think the offecnce is quite as bad as you do but that's not
    what I'm mainly arguing about. I'd much prefer the system
    was improved instead.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's not just about the sheer amount of time saved
    anyway. Not stopping so much also makes cycling more
    enjoyable. Cycling isn't naturally good when the rythm is
    broken as much as it is in inner & central London. As
    well as the psychological effects, the muscles and body
    can stiffen and cool too much, especially in winter.

    Listen! Can you hear the sound of someone rationalising
    away poor behaviour? I can!

    Bollocks! Follow the context in which I wrote it. I want
    cyclist to LEGALLY be allowed to stop less. The above are
    genuinely good serious reasons, not some bolt-on [censored] I've
    added to try and win an argument.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    We accept that cars have to be "calmed", now let's
    streamline cycling. Let's make it better! It is not
    beyond the wit of man to improve the system we have now
    to make that possible, safely.

    I quite agree, but what you fail to address with this
    paragraph is how that your deciding on the "other ways"
    apropos of you happen to feel like that at the time will
    actually achieve any such thing. Your "end" is a desirable
    one, your "means" doesn't appear to be very well (if at
    all) connected to it though. If you wish to "calm" cars
    then stop pissing off their drivers is a good start, ISTM.

    Unfortunately you missed my request in the reply I posted
    yesterday about mixing up my two different arguments*. That
    pisses me off. But I'm glad we've found some specks of
    agreement at last.

    I'm quite knackered! I think I've made my points as best as
    I can for now. I'll try and do it better next time.

    * 1. Improve the law.
    * 2. Apart from possibly making others angry (when there
    is anyone watching!), not all cyclists are doing any
    actual harm on every single occasion they jump the
    lights. Some people (not you Pete) don't seem to accept
    this simple reality even if they have valid arguments
    for enforcing the law.

    Please note: That is two different things, albeit on the
    same subject.

    ~PB

  4. Peter Clinch said:
    Pete Biggs said:


    I don't accept that allowing cyclists more freedom at
    carefully selected junctions will generate more pedestrian-
    worring rogues on bikes.

    But what is the criteria for "carefully selected" here? So
    far it appears to consist of you being at them with the
    lights against you and thinking it'll be okay.

    The authorities can go round studying junctions and slap
    signs on the ones where it would be deemed safe for cyclists
    to turn left against the lights "with caution".

    This would be particularly suitable for wide roads where
    traffic isn't flowing from the right for much of the time.
    There are so, so many of those.

    It would be no more dangerous than turning left into a main
    road from a side junction, in fact it would be safer because
    there would be more gaps in the traffic. More traffic lights
    aren't used at every junction with a side road just because
    that would cause too much inconvenience to motorists.

    You could argue that a similar thing could be done for cars
    as well but that's for the motorists to campaign for.
    However, I reckon the system would be more often suited to
    bikes for the reasons I gave earlier.

    Quoted message said:

    That isn't my definition of "carefully selected", and
    brings me back to the point of things needing to scale
    reliably. If you can decide what's safe and "carefully
    selected" on the grounds you think you're bright enough
    to do the job then there's no reason for anyone else not
    to think that, even if (or particularly because!) they
    have the brains of a fence-post.

    If the planning authorities want to carefully select sites
    for traffic pilots in consultation with local cyclists
    then three cheers, but letting anyone on a bike decide for
    themselves when it's okay to bend or break the rules isn't
    going to get you useful freedom in "carefully selected"
    places, and you ought to stop pretending it will. It will
    [censored] other road users, and that's not good for the
    overall road environment.

    Quoted message said:

    the opposite will happen as more cyclists will use
    the roads properly as they see the system is working
    for them.

    How's that, because they decide on their own rules as they
    go? Do you /really/ think that has long term potential to
    work on London's roads?

    I won't accuse you of wilfully missing my point. It must be
    accidental or my fault for not explaining better.

    ~PB

  5. Pyromancer said:

    If you really believe more people will cycle just because
    it allows them to omit the odd traffic light, you're
    deluding yourself.

    I really don't think so. It's all part of the mix. Keep on
    making small improvements like this and cycling will
    gradually become significantly more popular.

    Quoted message said:

    Some people now wilfully disobey the law because it's not
    enforced, not because they've all made a collective
    decision to challenge / change it.

    Of course the lack of enforcement enables them, but many
    basically decent people disobey the law because it's too
    unnatural for their mode of transport. Conscious
    decisions to publicly challenge/protest is indeed nothing
    to do with it.

    Quoted message said:

    Fine, by all means, start a campaign, garner support and
    start lobbying parliament to change the road traffic acts
    to permit cyclists to pass stop signals. But unless and
    until such time as the law is changed, respect the
    existing one and stop at red lights. Anything else just
    marks you as a lawless lout.

    I wouldn't encourage anyone to break this law but look how
    many cyclists do already in London. It's the vast majority!
    They're normal people who just happen to break this one law.
    The word "lout" becomes meaningless if everyone is a lout.

    ~PB

  6. "Pete Biggs" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pyromancer said:
    Quoted message said:

    > When a pedestrian crossing's lights are red to the
    > road they are generally green to the pedestrians

    Quoted message said:

    What pedestrians?! I'm only talking about when there
    are clearly NO pedestrians crossing, waiting to cross
    or anywhere to be seen.

    Your vision is always perfect and unobstructed?

    No not always, that is why I said "CLEARLY".

    Quoted message said:

    You can always be absolutely and 100% sure that no-one's
    going to emerge from somewhere you've not noticed at the
    last minute? No running kids going hell-for-leather to
    beat the lights are suddenly going to shoot onto the
    crossing?

    There are plenty of places and times where you CAN be 100%
    sure -- where there is a big area of unobstructed wide
    pavement around the crossing.

    ~PB

    Bumped into, not literally, my local councillor, who is
    slightly disabled and hence a pedestrian. We talked about
    cycling, as per normal, and he pointed out that he had had
    several very close shaves caused by cyclists ignoring the
    red light on a pedestrian crossing. So close had two of
    these shaves been, that he had had to take avoiding action.
    Such "cyclists" may be on a bike, but they aren't proper
    cyclists. They ride without consideration for others, ignore
    the law and put themselves and other road users at risk of
    injury, but most important from my point of view as a cycle
    campaigner, they give other road users a stick to beat us
    with. If you want cycling to be taken seriously, stop riding
    through red lights, it pisses off pedestrians, drivers and
    other cyclists. And I usually catch up with the w******rs
    within a few hundred yards anyway.
    --
    cheers

    Rich

  7. On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:25:26 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
    <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less):

    Quoted message said:

    The word "lout" becomes meaningless if everyone is a lout.

    Hardly. If most cyclists are seen to be louts, all that
    hgappens is we /all/ get labelled as louts.

    And as we are /very/ far from being a majority of road
    users, this is very dangerous. From the point of view: of
    re-prioritising enforcement; amending legislation; &
    altering other road-users' tolerance of us.

    --
    Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: gawnsoft.co.srgawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: html.dnsalias.nethtml.dnsalias.net Smalltalk
    links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
    html.dnsalias.netsmalltalk

  8. Pete Biggs said:

    I don't think I'm missing your point, certainly not
    wilfully. I just don't accept it. I do not accept that
    people will be [censored] if cyclists are *legally*
    permitted to turn left through certain red lights that
    have a special sign (for example).

    Perhaps we are arguing at cross purposes then. I am
    objecting to you (or indeed anyone else) doing this
    *illegally*, now, before any such laws are changed. Which
    you appeared to me to be advocating nearer the start of
    this thread if you could be reasonably sure it was safe in
    that instance.

    Quoted message said:

    I have taken the point about "poor behaviour" pissing
    people off but I'm proposing isn't "poor", IMO.

    If it's legal, fine. We can already do things can't. I
    routinely ignore the left turn sign at the end of Nethergate
    in Dundee, for example, because there's a sign giving me a
    specific exemption to it.

    Quoted message said:

    I agree with that. Regarding breaking exsiting laws, I was
    merely correcting the idea that is was always actually
    dangerous each time it is done.

    In the individual, specific case, yes, but that's not where
    my problem lies. That is in the general degrading of mood on
    the roads where people see cyclists decide that laws don't
    apply to them.

    Quoted message said:

    Bollocks! Follow the context in which I wrote it. I want
    cyclist to LEGALLY be allowed to stop less.

    But you started off in a thread about whether it was okay to
    go through red lights *now* when it is very much illegal by
    implying it was all right with a little forethought. *That*
    is what I'm objecting very strenuously too. If you've
    changed your mind about that or didn't think it in the first
    place then (a) Hurrah! and (b) sorry I've been
    misinterpreting the follow ups.

    Quoted message said:

    Unfortunately you missed my request in the reply I posted
    yesterday about mixing up my two different arguments

    I've only ever been arguing about one thing here.

    Quoted message said:

    * 2. Apart from possibly making others angry (when there
    is anyone watching!), not all cyclists are doing any
    actual harm on every single occasion they jump the
    lights.

    But it's the "Apart from" which is 100% of what I have the
    problem with, so I'm not too pleased about it being
    marginalised by "apart from"! The "possibly" has been shown
    to be "very, very, very probably" when research has been
    conducted (read the summary a couple of "Cycle"s back).

    Quoted message said:

    Please note: That is two different things, albeit on the
    same subject.

    And it's breaking the law *now* that I have the bee in my
    bonnet about. Changing the law, no particular problem if
    it's done with appropriate Cluefullness.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  9. Pete Biggs said:


    I wouldn't encourage anyone to break this law but look how
    many cyclists do already in London. It's the vast
    majority!

    I have to contradict this statement. I have observed many
    cyclists in various parts of London and I have to say that
    the majority does not go through red lights. The majority of
    couriers might disregard the law but they are not the
    majority of cyclists.

    --
    Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "He loves nature in spite
    of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker
    www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

  10. Pete Biggs said:

    I wouldn't encourage anyone to break this law but look how
    many cyclists do already in London. It's the vast
    majority! They're normal people who just happen to break
    this one law. The word "lout" becomes meaningless if
    everyone is a lout.

    Ah, but it isn't everyone, is it? It's everyone on a bike,
    which is still very much a minority of road users. The above
    underlines just how this sort of behaviour encourages the
    view that cyclist == lout.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  11. burt said:

    If you want cycling to be taken seriously, stop riding
    through red lights, it pisses off pedestrians, drivers and
    other cyclists.

    I wonder how much it does, really. Do the cyclists who do it
    carefully when there is clearly no-one about [censored] them off
    all that much? They see it so often that they must be well
    used to it by now.

    In any case, you've got an awful lot of cyclists to change
    the habits of: quite possibly the large majority in London*.
    How are you going to do that? More enforcement? What kind of
    enforcement? More education? Why would it work?

    And these people are "cyclists", by the way -- respectable
    men and women of all ages from all walks of life, not just
    lycra wearers, not just youths.

    * I mention London because it's where I am and what I know,
    and where the "problem" seems to be centered.

    ~PB

  12. Peter Clinch said:

    Perhaps we are arguing at cross purposes then.

    We have. With my first few posts at least, I didn't mean to
    *start* any arguments. I was posting defensive replies to
    various specific points, just trying to explain why London
    cyclists do what they do and that I didn't think it was
    quite as dangerous as is made out.

    This then evolved into me proposing a new policy which would
    be an alternative to the law breaking. I would have made it
    clearer if I had planned it all in advance!

    ~PB

  13. Michael MacClancy said:
    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't encourage anyone to break this law but look
    how many cyclists do already in London. It's the vast
    majority!

    I have to contradict this statement. I have observed many
    cyclists in various parts of London and I have to say that
    the majority does not go through red lights. The majority
    of couriers might disregard the law but they are not the
    majority of cyclists.

    Well, I'm amazed. Do you mean the majority doesn't go
    through any red lights on a typical journey? I really don't
    think so. Of course that's not the same as the majority of
    lights being jumped or the majority of cyclists stopping
    sometimes or even most times.

    The majority of cyclists I see in London go through some red
    lights on each journey when they get the opportunity to do
    so without being completely bonkers and get can to the front
    of the queue. (Of course there are those in addition who are
    completely bonkers).

    Most may stop at crossroads (for some of the "red" time at
    least) when going straight on or just when it's very busy,
    but only the minority actually stay waiting at a pedestrian
    crossing when at the front and it's red with no-one around
    to cross, for example.

    ~PB

  14. Michael MacClancy said:


    I have observed many cyclists in various parts of London
    and I have to say that the majority does not go through
    red lights.

    What methods have you used to observe them? I think a good
    one would be to pick random individual cyclists and follow
    them. That's dangerously close to stalking (!!) so best to
    limit it to a few minutes (or to a certain distance). Count
    them as a red light jumper if they go through any stop
    light* then stop following and find another cyclist, and so
    on. Count them as a law abider if they don't offend within
    the time or distance limit.

    I tried this late tonight around central London to try the
    method. Hardly any cyclists about, but 4 of the 5 I did
    follow jumped lights within five minutes (and none looked
    like a "lout", by the way). I will do some more observation
    around various parts of London at various times of week and
    day over the coming weeks. I might not be able to do any
    next week, will resume week after.

    Any comments would be interesting... except any calling me a
    sad git! ;-) Don't you think it's interesting?

    * Give benefit of doubt for amber lights (even though they
    legally count as "stop" too), and allow advancing the stop
    line and waiting in front -- because otherwise the
    percentage of offenders will be almost 100% as all
    cyclists seem to do this often when they get the chance.

    ~PB

  15. Pete Biggs said:
    burt said:

    If you want cycling to be taken seriously, stop riding
    through red lights, it pisses off pedestrians, drivers
    and other cyclists.

    I wonder how much it does, really. Do the cyclists who do
    it carefully when there is clearly no-one about [censored] them
    off all that much? They see it so often that they must be
    well used to it by now.

    In any case, you've got an awful lot of cyclists to
    change the habits of: quite possibly the large majority
    in London*. How are you going to do that? More
    enforcement? What kind of enforcement? More education?
    Why would it work?

    And these people are "cyclists", by the way -- respectable
    men and women of all ages from all walks of life, not just
    lycra wearers, not just youths.

    Those arguements sound familiar. Let me think. Ah, I know,
    its the arguement for speeding being acceptable.

    Tony

  16. Daniel Barlow said:


    but wouldn't it be just as effective simply to to _give
    way_ to people on pedestrian crossings? In the the
    scenario Pete desribed there was nobody on the crossing
    and "a big area of unobstructed wide pavement around
    [it]": if a cyclist crosses a pedestrian crossing and
    there's nobody else to be affected by it, who's going to
    be [censored]?

    If people followed that approach we could do away with all
    the traffic light controlled crossing and go back to simple
    black and while stripes painted on the road. However we went
    away from those for a reason

    Tony

  17. Daniel Barlow said:

    but wouldn't it be just as effective simply to to _give
    way_ to people on pedestrian crossings? In the the
    scenario Pete desribed there was nobody on the crossing
    and "a big area of unobstructed wide pavement around
    [it]": if a cyclist crosses a pedestrian crossing and
    there's nobody else to be affected by it, who's going to
    be [censored]?

    The "zero tolerance" argument is that we can't trust all
    cyclists to make that decision because some of them are too
    thick or reckless. Thing is, we trust them when the signal
    is on flashing amber, and we trust them to make far more
    dangerous manoeuvres without the assistance of traffic
    lights at other junctions.

    The other argument is that if we can trust cyclists, we can
    trust motorists. Well, we already do with the flashing
    amber. But, in any case, traffic lights are as much about
    convenience* as safety. They are largely used because we
    need to control the huge number of cars on the roads to
    create gaps**. The number of cyclists is minute in
    comparison, and don't totally clog up hundreds of yards of
    road en mass, so why not give them some priorities to assist
    them and promote this form of transport? Because it would
    [censored] motorists, they say (by making them jealous as they
    wait behind, I suppose). Yes, I also think that's not a good
    enough reason.

    * I think this is a crucial and high relevant point which
    many people seem to forget in all the arguments about
    cyclists and traffic lights.

    ** Specifically on pedestrian crossings in middle of
    straight road with no junction: If there were no lights,
    just as some cyclists wouldn't stop for peds waiting to
    cross, some cars wouldn't either. Point is that there are so
    many cars that the ped may have to wait quite a while before
    cars eventually stopped to give way to them. That particular
    problem won't exist with bicycles unless we become like
    China or India. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

    ~PB

  18. Tony Raven said:

    Those arguements sound familiar. Let me think. Ah, I know,
    its the arguement for speeding being acceptable.

    More than "arguing", I'm exposing the reality (because some
    people don't seem to know what it is).

    Speeding is acceptable to most people in this country
    because they do it. (That's not to say that I don't want
    something done about it).

    Jumping red lights is acceptable to most cyclists in London
    because they do it. But it's not acceptable to the majority
    of posters on this newsgroup (providing their actions match
    their words). People claim that pedestrians and other road
    users regard it as unacceptable. I question the degree and
    sincerity of this and the amount of harm the offence is
    actually does, and what exactly should be done about it. I'm
    not saying that nothing should be done just that "zero
    tolerance" is unnecessary.

    ~PB

  19. Tony Raven said:

    If people followed that approach we could do away with all
    the traffic light controlled crossing and go back to
    simple black and while stripes painted on the road.
    However we went away from those for a reason

    How many more collisions caused by *cyclists* on zebras than
    traffic light controlled crossings?

    ~PB

  20. Tony Raven said:

    If people followed that approach we could do away with all
    the traffic light controlled crossing and go back to
    simple black and while stripes painted on the road.

    It's not the same. Without lights, there is no specific
    guidance at all. The road user has to rely purely on
    observation of pedestrians. With a signal, there is added
    warning that a pedestrian might be crossing at that moment.
    They can then slow right down and proceed only if safe. Of
    course drivers shouldn't have to rely on traffic signals but
    they do help in practice.

    I would like to see more and longer use of the flashing
    amber signal, at various sorts of crossings and junctions.

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.