Red lights, ranting, etc.

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Sat, 1 Feb 2003
06:03:08 UTC

-> > Boring. Any pharmaceutical type plants in that gardin? ;-) -> -> Garlic, Horseradish, Sage,
Maui and Thyme. ->

Praise be to Bob; the more get to know you the more I like you zoot.

though given the fact that some antidepressent drugs help keep me alive and motivated enough to go
riding I am not sure that the medications are the problem. in that witchdoctor world of psychotropic
drugs real effort needs real attention to find the right med and the right dosage rather than just
offering a handfull of the drug that gives the doctor the best kickback.

doctors should not be pushing the drug de jour but making a real effor to find an appropriate
treament that may or may not involve meds. for some the vilified drugs work and work well with
little in the way of side effects. The fact that society prefers conformist drones and zombies
does not help.

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:17:16 -0800, <[email protected]>, Ryan Cousineau
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> don't give a damn drug*!
>
>Well, that certainly makes sense given that they're primarily meant for people with clinical
>depression ("I don't want to move") and anxiety ("I worry too much").

I take it then that the "I don't give a damn" feeling is a desired action of the drugs and will be
occurring in all patients taking the drugs for whatever reason it was prescribed.

SSRIs are increasingly prescribed by non-psychiatrists, many times without proper diagnoses or
adequate follow-on therapy, for bulimia nervosa, obsessive compulsive disorder, anorexia nervosa,
panic disorder, pain associated with diabetic neuropathy and for premenstrual syndrome, dysthymia,
dysphoria, obesity, borderline personality disorder, rheumatic pain, post herpetic neuralgia, tic
doloureux, cancer pain, anxiety disorders, phobias, alcohol dependency, enuresis, eating disorders,
and migraine headache.

Once a drug has been approved for treatment of one disease or condition, it can be prescribed for
any use. It's more frequently prescribed to the "worried well" than to the clinically depressed.

SSRIs have also been studied in the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
The side effects caused by SSRIs in adolescents varied widely. Some of these side effects include
motor restlessness, sleep disturbances, social disinhibition, mania or hypomania, and psychosis. The
most common side effects that were experienced include hypomania-like symptoms, irritability,
gastrointestinal upset, and insomnia.

Now their use is approved for children for the treatment of psychoactive disorders. When schools can
get extra funding for children diagnosed with behavioural problems, there's been an alarming
increase in those diagnoses and widespread drugging of schoolkids.
http://www.psychinvestigator.com/destructive-page2.htm

Over 3000 children under one year of age have been prescribed Prozac!

>If _I_ went on SSRIs, I can see where you might want to worry, since I'm already way out on the
>easygoing scale (I know I seem like a big angry ball of jerk on these ngs, but that's because this
>is where I let off my stress. In real life I am kind to animals and hardly ever run people off the
>road on purpose :).

Well, there's around a seven percent chance psychosis will be one of the undesirable side effects.

I don't mean to belittle your "jerk quotient", but I'd wager that my name is in more kill files
than yours.
--
zk

"NYRides" <[email protected]>

> I knew somebody would take issue with that comment. The point was, if a
guy
> has a really nice bike and all the bells and whistles that go with it, I usually assume he has
> respect for everything about cycling, including the rules of the road. (Cont'd)

I agree... one would think that this sort of well equiped cycylist would know the rules of the
road... *but*...it's just that "bells and whistles" bicyclists that all to often has complete
disregard for the laws and rules of our communities.

These are the bicyclist that make life so difficult for *all* that ride bikes.

And...you're not the only one that has "almost violent" thoughts aimed at these types. Most of the
people I know (have spoke with concerning this sort of bicycilist) will confront these jerks... and
will not hesitate to call them out for their practices... and will not hesitate to counter... a
physical attack.

fwiw

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Do you really believe that traffic engineers want cyclists
to run red
> lights? I don't.

I've met a couple who don't consider cyclists at all, and are quite dismissive when anyone suggests
they should have to.

> First off, your premise that sensors don't detect bikes is
false. The great
> majority of sensors do detect bikes. And for the few that
are improperly
> adjusted, a phone call to the Traffic Department will
usually correct the
> problem quickly. That has been my personal experience.

Don't project that to the rest of the country. There are still plenty of places where cyclists are
viewed as a vanishingly small group of weirdos and eccentrics, not worth making work crews put down
their cups of coffee for.

However, don't let that discourage you from making those calls and writing those letters.

Matt O.