Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Red Lights - What do you do?

Started by LotteBum · · Last activity · 72 posts · 2,614 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
5 April 2005
Last activity
8 April 2005
Original author
LotteBum
Posts
72
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,614
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 72
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Carl Brewer said:

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:24:59 +1000, byron27

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What do you do when people cruise past you when you're stopped at a
    red light, patiently waiting for it to go green?

    Its none of my business. Its no ones business to lecture someone on the
    rights and wrongs of the road unless (a) they ask for your opinion or
    (b) they are a cop, or (c) you have lived the life of a convent
    monk/nun and never thought sinful thoughts or taped a show off tv.

    Applying Reductio ad absurdum[1] to this position suggests that
    if you saw someone repeatly running over a child in the street with
    a RAV4 you would not intervene because you're not a cop, the driver
    doesn't look like they're interested in what you think, and once you
    borrowed a pen from work and never gave it back.

    "Tops! The world needs more people like you! They really make the
    world a better place for all of us!"

    [1] http://www.iep.utm.edu/r/reductio.htm if you're unfamiliar with
    the logic behind this.


    apologies for that fundamentally flawed argument. I will now start with my 10 hail marys to the almighty god of logic.

    Please forgive me, for i have sinned 😉

    fair enough though, you have a point.

    Either way, this is just like the old helmet story. Either you do or dont. This thread will go on for weeks.........

  2. byron27 <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I think that a bike
    weighing under 100kg total going through a red light at 30kph will do a
    whole less damage than a car or truck, weighing upwards of 1000kg, going
    at 60kph+. In fact, really, the only person to be hurt if a bike runs
    the red is generally going to be the cyclist themselves, in which case
    "tough luck".

    Except that most drivers will react in some way to avoid killing somebody,
    usually by swerving. Have you ever seen the aftermath of an accident where
    a driver has swerved to avoid a kid running into the road? (substitute "red
    light running cyclist" or any other mobile hazard) I've seen it once, it
    was nasty (but not fatal) and triggered off a conversation with a paramedic
    friend and her fireman boyfriend. They could remember numerous occassions
    when one or more fatality has been caused by such mobile hazards, often
    with the mobile hazard going relatively unharmed themself. But then again,
    as you say, that's just "tough luck".

    Graeme

  3. flyingdutch <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Hey. Are you a bank robber?

    Watch out for the one who says "Yes, and this is the gun I used..." 🙂

    Graeme

  4. LotteBum said:


    A couple of Questions:

    1. Do you run red lights?

    2. What do you do when people cruise past you when you're stopped at a
    red light, patiently waiting for it to go green?

    I personally don't run red lights and have a tendencey to scream at
    people who do... this morning, however, myself and another roadie were
    sitting at the lights just as you come off the Indooroopilly Bridge
    (heading towards UQ) when an older lady on a touring bike with panniers
    cruised straight past us. Despite waiting probably 2 minutes for the
    light, I passed her about 1km ahead and said to her "You represent a
    lot of people when you run red lights - not a good idea". Not sure
    what her response was (was wearing headphones), but I hope she takes it
    in...

    I used to quite regularly; even collected a couple of tickets for it!
    Now I don't exactly "run" them. I stop, then if it is a left turn I will
    walk around the corner then go again. Same with ped crossings etc. I
    stop, then walk with the peds.
    Both these avoid the hazardous start when bikes and cars start off
    together when the lights turn green.

    Peter

    --
    If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
    good -- will ever happen to you.

  5. Bleve said:

    "typical cyclists ...."

    Everyone is an ambassador for the things they do. The more of them
    that realise it,
    the better off we all are.

    Cyclists are a minority. The majority (in this case car drivers) ascribe attributes to all the cyclist minority based on observed attributes in a very small number of individual members of the minority group. Called stereotyping. Built into the human cognitative system.

    Illustration - ethnic minority groups...All Greeks are..... or All Aboriginals are..... etc

    Illustration - professions, trades etc....All lawyers.... All plumbers....etc

    We are stuck with the actions of a few colouring the perceptions of many

    SteveA

  6. I treat red lights the way they were originally intended - as per a stop
    sign. If the way is entirely clear, I then proceed. I think there's
    nothing more idiotic than waiting for a light to change colour on a road
    entirely devoid of traffic. If you're still feeling guilty, walk your bike
    across.

  7. Graeme said:

    byron27 <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I think that a bike
    weighing under 100kg total going through a red light at 30kph will do a
    whole less damage than a car or truck, weighing upwards of 1000kg, going
    at 60kph+. In fact, really, the only person to be hurt if a bike runs
    the red is generally going to be the cyclist themselves, in which case
    "tough luck".

    Except that most drivers will react in some way to avoid killing somebody,
    usually by swerving. Have you ever seen the aftermath of an accident where
    a driver has swerved to avoid a kid running into the road? (substitute "red
    light running cyclist" or any other mobile hazard) I've seen it once, it
    was nasty (but not fatal) and triggered off a conversation with a paramedic
    friend and her fireman boyfriend. They could remember numerous occassions
    when one or more fatality has been caused by such mobile hazards, often
    with the mobile hazard going relatively unharmed themself. But then again,
    as you say, that's just "tough luck".

    Graeme

    Gee Graeme, you make it sound like people blindly ride through these red
    lights with barely a care in the world, and without even looking.
    Whilst I almost always stop at red lights (like Dutchy, 99.9% of the
    time), I quite often used to cross one particular street *against the
    pedestrian red* <OMG!> near the end of my commute.
    The Perth guys will know the intersection where the Mitchell Freeway and
    Spring Street meet Mounts Bay Road. There is a brief time after the
    light for the freeway offramp goes red that you can scoot across from
    the bike path and merge with the flow of traffic going east on Mounts
    Bay Road (not hard at peak hour) without any danger of getting run over
    by cross traffic.

    I have to admit that I agree somewhat with Suzy's comments. Deep down,
    whether it's an elitist thing or not, I think that cyclists should be
    exempt from certain road rules as an incentive to cycle. Of course,
    here in Perth, we are not even allowed to turn left at red lights like
    you can (or at used to be able to) do in Sydney.

    --
    Brett

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "hippy" == hippy <[email hidden]> writes:

    hippy> See my 12:02 post in 'Some Kind of Monster' 🙂 and add "Red
    hippy> means stop, [censored]".

    I tried that tactic (sans [censored]) this morning as I passed a lady
    who'd cruised through a red past me. Next red she stopped, turned
    around and said "who died and made you God?"

    My retort, "You're the one breaking the law and you're asking me that?"

    Pfft.
    --
    Euan

  9. NoZX6R said:

    Anyway, I don't really care what "typical drivers" think of me. IME, it
    is a tiny, tiny fraction of motorists who do anything that's really
    dangerous, deliberately - so tiny as to be not worth getting stressed
    about. So long as they're not acting on their narrow minded prejudices
    then why care what they think of you?

    As for fixing it, mutual respect and courtesy would do the job I reckon.

    Exactly! And most people see respect for the rules that we are all subject
    to as part of this. Not the only thing, but a key part.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a shame LOTS of people can't seem to manage it.

    Can you? (I ask myself this question too)

    Cheers
    Peter

  10. Brett said:


    whether it's an elitist thing or not, I think that cyclists should be
    exempt from certain road rules as an incentive to cycle. Of course,
    here in Perth, we are not even allowed to turn left at red lights like
    you can (or at used to be able to) do in Sydney.

    We are, but how differs between jurisdiction and then there's drivers awareness.
    A few weeks back, I had a driver absolutely go off when I legally overtook on the left at the (red) lights. He never bothered to indicate left!
    Of course, try and find this the glossy drivers handbook. You have to refer to the ACT legislation.

  11. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Next red she stopped, turned around and said "who died and made you God?"

    Y'know, there's a really really off colour answer to that right about now...
    But you'd need to be riding Campag :-)

    Dave - who has a few reds he'll push, but normally stops.

  12. Brett said:

    ... I think that cyclists should be exempt from certain road rules as an incentive to cycle.--
    Brett

    that's got alot of merit. does anyone know if such a scenario exists OS anywhere?

    Amsterdam was so 'organic' becos of the mindset but i cant remember seeing anything in balck n white giving cyclists 'special' dispensation.

    would certainly open a few minds of cagers. maybe not straight away but would bump em along the 'behavioural change' flow a bit more...

  13. Peter Signorini said:
    NoZX6R said:

    Anyway, I don't really care what "typical drivers" think of me. IME, it
    is a tiny, tiny fraction of motorists who do anything that's really
    dangerous, deliberately - so tiny as to be not worth getting stressed
    about. So long as they're not acting on their narrow minded prejudices
    then why care what they think of you?

    As for fixing it, mutual respect and courtesy would do the job I reckon.

    Exactly! And most people see respect for the rules that we are all subject
    to as part of this. Not the only thing, but a key part.

    Quoted message said:

    It's a shame LOTS of people can't seem to manage it.

    Can you? (I ask myself this question too)

    Cheers
    Peter

    I try, and I think I'm successful most of the time, but I guess we all
    momentary lapses of reason from time to time. I don't generally get
    people abusing me so I don't think I'm upsetting anyone else 🙂

    --
    Nick

  14. NoZX6R said:


    I try, and I think I'm successful most of the time, but I guess we all
    momentary lapses of reason from time to time. I don't generally get
    people abusing me so I don't think I'm upsetting anyone else 🙂

    --
    Nick

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it! 😠 :eek: 😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    oh! er, sorry. ... and now, for something completely different...

    F " you gotta fiiiiight fer yaw riiiight to Baaaaaarrrgy! " Dutch

  15. Dutchy said:

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it!
    😠 :eek: 😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    Blue pills, Dutchy, blue pills.

    Cheers,

    Suzy (much happier now she's ordered a pile of nice Columbus Zona (and Genius!) tubes, and some Henry James lugs - isn't retail therapy great!)

  16. "flyingdutch" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    NoZX6R said:


    I try, and I think I'm successful most of the time, but I guess we all
    momentary lapses of reason from time to time. I don't generally get
    people abusing me so I don't think I'm upsetting anyone else 🙂

    --
    Nick

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it! 😠 :eek:
    😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    oh! er, sorry. ... and now, for something completely different...

    F " you gotta fiiiiight fer yaw riiiight to Baaaaaarrrgy! " Dutch

    FD, you seem to have 'issues' today. Push the keyboard aside, take a step
    outside into the garden... sooooth down, smell the roses. Now you can work
    off all that aggression on the commute home with some interval training.

    Cheers
    Peter

  17. quote='suzyj'Dutchy said:

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it!
    😠 :eek: 😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    Blue pills, Dutchy, blue pills.

    Cheers,

    Suzy (much happier now she's ordered a pile of nice Columbus Zona (and Genius!) tubes, and some Henry James lugs - isn't retail therapy great!)[/QUOTE]

    Blue Pills?

    Is that like Christian Slater's line in Heathers... "Drink 'Big Blue' here. it'll cure all your woes" (saying as he held up a bottle of draino)

  18. Dutchie said:

    Blue Pills?

    It's more a "that Dutchy, he's such a nice young lad", and then I read a terrible stream of obscenities 😉 and figure you must have forgotten to take your pills.

    Cheers,

    Suzy

  19. suzyj said:


    Dutchy said:

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it!
    😠 :eek: 😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    Blue pills, Dutchy, blue pills.

    What -- v!@gr@?

    *grins* *ducks* *runs*

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

  20. suzyj said:


    Dutchy said:

    oh yeah? you !^@^#^$ fix$& ri#*$!
    you wouldnt k#&$^% a #$**%^)&😉& if you rode into it!
    😠 :eek: 😕 🙄 😎 😄 😉 :p

    Blue pills, Dutchy, blue pills.

    Cheers,

    Suzy (much happier now she's ordered a pile of nice Columbus Zona (and
    Genius!) tubes, and some Henry James lugs - isn't retail therapy
    great!)

    And here I was thinking that retail therapy meant Gucci, Prada, Manolo
    Blahnik, etc. :-)

    BTW, is there a technical reason why you chose Zona and Genius instead
    of, say, Foco or Ultra Foco?

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.