RedLine SS---- Woo hoooo finally broke something!!!!

John G

Guest
Been doing a lot of urban recently... Riding LOTS of stairs and small(<3foot) drops, etc.

Somewhere along the line I swapped out the stock pedals for some with a larger platform and
adjustable traction "spikes" I forget the exact brand..... Which may or may not be a contributing
factor of the failure.

Today I spent a lot of time on the stairs and all of a sudden I notice my left pedal felt loose, or
something. I stopped and checked it and it was hand tight I decided to soft-foot it back to the
P.O.B. But still by the time I got there I had pretty much toasted teh left crank's pedal-eye.

Ahh well, no big loss, I have a set of RaceFace NorthShore DH's laying in wait. I just need to find
an ISIS BB..... CHEAP!

So..... back when we were laying odds, who was it that bet it would be the cranks? Closest I
could find was:
> First things to go, in this order:
> 1) rear hub (1st month)
> 2) cranks (2nd month)
> 3) seatpost (4th month)
> - CA-G

S0, it looks like Carla wins!!!!!

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:59:12 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip truly tragic SS moment]

Without tragedy we couldn't know comedy.....????

Sound like a good thought at the time.

:-]

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:59:12 -0400, John G <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [snip truly tragic SS moment]
>
> Without tragedy we couldn't know comedy.....????

condolences accepted.

> Sound like a good thought at the time.

I dropped the bike off at the LBS and said "Can you rder me up a ISIS BB."

My bud took the bike and rooted around in his stash of parts and hooked me up with a really beefy
set of slightly more than "slightly used" but still plenty good Icon cranks.

In the process he discovered my chainring was pretty badly warped/bent...Funny I dont remeber
hitting anything with it<shrug> Some more digging and he produces a straight 32T ring for me, and a
few minutes later I was rolling in the parking-lot again. It felt good to be "single" again.

The cranks are surprisingly stiff _and_ light... and best of all I didn't have to buy a new ISIS BB
right away, since I can't afford one anyway. And they are black, so they match the rest ofthe bike.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:53:57 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip resourcefulness]

> It felt good to be "single" again.

now there's a thought, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

"John G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Closest I could find was:
> > First things to go, in this order:
> > 1) rear hub (1st month)
> > 2) cranks (2nd month)
> > 3) seatpost (4th month)
> > - CA-G
>
> S0, it looks like Carla wins!!!!!

So what's my prize???

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Carla A-G wrote:

>>>2) cranks (2nd month)
>>S0, it looks like Carla wins!!!!!
> So what's my prize???

It'll be waiting for you (on ice) at Bear Brook S.P.

John G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Been doing a lot of urban recently... Riding LOTS of stairs and small(<3foot) drops, etc.
>
> Somewhere along the line I swapped out the stock pedals for some with a larger platform and
> adjustable traction "spikes" I forget the exact brand..... Which may or may not be a contributing
> factor of the failure.
>
> Today I spent a lot of time on the stairs and all of a sudden I notice my left pedal felt loose,
> or something. I stopped and checked it and it was hand tight I decided to soft-foot it back to the
> P.O.B. But still by the time I got there I had pretty much toasted teh left crank's pedal-eye.
>
> Ahh well, no big loss, I have a set of RaceFace NorthShore DH's laying in wait. I just need to
> find an ISIS BB..... CHEAP!
>

> So..... back when we were laying odds, who was it that bet it would be the cranks? Closest I could
> find was:
> > First things to go, in this order:
> > 1) rear hub (1st month)
> > 2) cranks (2nd month)
> > 3) seatpost (4th month)
> > - CA-G
>
> S0, it looks like Carla wins!!!!!

I beg to differ. I have firmly stood by my guns that the Monocog would completely self-destruct. The
inevitable was only delayed by your frame tolerance woes. Get a good SS, ya big galoot.

JD

JD wrote:
> I beg to differ. I have firmly stood by my guns that the Monocog would completely self-destruct.

I'm trying, man I'm tryingmy best to unish this frame into submission, but it (the frame) _is_
remakably solid.

> The inevitable was only delayed by your frame tolerance woes.

Time will tell, and I will be happy to conceed when that time comes.

>Get a good SS,

If I had the $ then, or now I would. But until then I'm gonna keep riding it. unless you happen to
have a extra Surly frame and fork kicking around?-)

>ya big galoot.

That used to be my vanity plate on the Truck: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/icebike.jpg
(Well, you can sorta make it out behind the snow ;-)

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
> > I beg to differ. I have firmly stood by my guns that the Monocog would completely self-destruct.
>
> I'm trying, man I'm tryingmy best to unish this frame into submission, but it (the frame) _is_
> remakably solid.

The Ritchie Blackmore has been going strong for three years now. It doesn't sit more than three days
in a row when I'm here and is normally my primary ride. The Monocog will die sooner, I'd bet money.

> > The inevitable was only delayed by your frame tolerance woes.
>
> Time will tell, and I will be happy to conceed when that time comes.

I have no doubt, being the gentleman that you are.

> >Get a good SS,
>

> If I had the $ then, or now I would. But until then I'm gonna keep riding it. unless you happen to
> have a extra Surly frame and fork kicking around?-)

Fork, yes. Frame, not right now.

> >ya big galoot.
>
> That used to be my vanity plate on the Truck: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/icebike.jpg
> (Well, you can sorta make it out behind the snow ;-)

Why does this not surprise me? You are a feak of a different nature.

JD

JD wrote:
>>>ya big galoot.
>>
>>That used to be my vanity plate on the Truck: http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/icebike.jpg
>>(Well, you can sorta make it out behind the snow ;-)
>

> Why does this not surprise me? You are a feak of a different nature.

I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it! (KLydesdale, can back me up on this one !-)

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

> I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it!

as a big galoot with a history of breaking stuff, maybe you should carry around a few more tools
than the normal. Like, in this case, a pedal wrench would have let you tighten up the pedal. (6mm
allen if your pedals allow, small 15mm on multitool ok, I'm not talking about the big Park!) I'm not
trying to be a smartass, honest. Extra careful preride checks help too, but who has time for that.

of course, maybe the cranks were toast by the time you noticed.

Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it!
>

> as a big galoot with a history of breaking stuff, maybe you should carry around a few more tools
> than the normal. Like, in this case, a pedal wrench would have let you tighten up the pedal.
> (6mm allen if your pedals allow, small 15mm on multitool ok, I'm not talking about the big
> Park!) I'm not trying to be a smartass, honest. Extra careful preride checks help too, but who
> has time for that.

Actually, I normally DO carry all that **** with me, whne I'm doing bike patrol.... Headset wrench
cone wrenches, chain whip, spare chain.

> of course, maybe the cranks were toast by the time you noticed.

indeed.

> >>That used to be my vanity plate on the Truck:
> >>http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/ice/icebike.jpg (Well, you can sorta make it out behind the
> >>snow ;-)
> >

> > Why does this not surprise me? You are a feak of a different nature.
>
> I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it! (KLydesdale, can back me up on this one !-)

Still have the hat?

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it!
>
> as a big galoot with a history of breaking stuff, maybe you should carry around a few more tools
> than the normal. Like, in this case, a pedal wrench would have let you tighten up the pedal.
> (6mm allen if your pedals allow, small 15mm on multitool ok, I'm not talking about the big
> Park!) I'm not trying to be a smartass, honest. Extra careful preride checks help too, but who
> has time for that.
>
> of course, maybe the cranks were toast by the time you noticed.

My SOP with pedals is to install them, do a short ride and then re-check them. More often than not,
I end up having to re-tighten them but after that I never have troubles with them loosening again.

> I beg to differ. I have firmly stood by my guns that the Monocog would completely self-destruct.
> The inevitable was only delayed by your frame tolerance woes. Get a good SS, ya big galoot.

You're just jealous because I won... :)

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

KLydesdale wrote:
>>>Why does this not surprise me? You are a feak of a different nature.
>>I _-AM-_ a big GALOOT and darned proud of it! (KLydesdale, can back me up on this one !-)

> Still have the hat?

several, the red one, the stealth one, teh wool one, and a spare N.I.B.