Reducers on Fox Float Shox

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Alex, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
    taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a specific
    way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get them off.

    thanks for any help.

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
    > taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
    > specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get
    > them off.
    >
    > thanks for any help.
    >

    > Alex

    Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them with a
    pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out eventually. Sometimes
    it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings are in good shape.

    Mike

  3. Alex

    Alex Guest

    thanks, figured it off, got them off, fixed the shox, and now it's ready to ride again, thanks

    alex "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > > I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on
    > > FSRxc) and I started taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers
    > > off. Is there a specific way of doing this??,
    the
    > > fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get them
    off.

    > > thanks for any help.
    > >

    > > Alex
    > >

    > Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so
    you
    > just grip them with a pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop
    > out eventually. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings
    > are in good shape.
    >
    > Mike

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:
    > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
    >>taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
    >>specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get
    >>them off.
    >>
    >>thanks for any help.
    >>

    >>Alex
    >>

    > Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them
    > with a pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out
    > eventually. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings
    > are in good shape.

    Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
    rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
    rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
    pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.

    If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
    worn or the bushings?

    Thanks, Greg
    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
    > rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
    > rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
    > pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.
    >
    > If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
    > worn or the bushings?

    Bushings is my bet. The Freak doesn't have a clunk yet, but I know it's due for a full set of
    bushings (and new main pivot bearings) for all of the suspension links. Two years is plenty of use
    for parts like bushings.

    JD

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    > Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a
    slight
    > clunk somewhere in my rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat
    > while holding down the rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar
    > bike. The pivots all seem pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.
    >
    > If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
    > worn or the bushings?
    >
    > Thanks, Greg
    > --

    Yep bad bushings. Same thing happened to my Tracer. I could lift the seat a quarter inch. I stopped
    be the Fox Tech Support trailer at a race and they press fit new bushings and gave me new spacers.
    All better now. They used a tool in a vise to press out the old and in the new so I don't know if
    this can be done at home. You may have to send it back to Fox.

    Mike

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:eek:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
    > >>taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
    > >>specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't
    > >>get them off.
    > >>
    > >>thanks for any help.
    > >>

    > >>Alex
    > >>

    > > Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them with
    > > a pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out eventually.
    > > Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings are in good
    > > shape.
    > >

    > Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
    > rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
    > rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
    > pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.

    The bottom eye bushing is the first to wear out in the FSR design. Fortunately they are cheap.
    --

  8. Kayak777

    Kayak777 Guest

    I did it at home using a vise and a small piece of copper pipe to allow the old bushing to exit
    as the new one was squished in. Its tricky to get it lined up so that the new one goes in
    straight. Paul