Reducers on Fox Float Shox

Alex

Guest
I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a specific
way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get them off.

thanks for any help.

Alex

"Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
> taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
> specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get
> them off.
>
> thanks for any help.
>

> Alex

Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them with a
pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out eventually. Sometimes
it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings are in good shape.

Mike

thanks, figured it off, got them off, fixed the shox, and now it's ready to ride again, thanks

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>
>>I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
>>taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
>>specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't get
>>them off.
>>
>>thanks for any help.
>>

>>Alex
>>

> Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them
> with a pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out
> eventually. Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings
> are in good shape.

Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.

If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
worn or the bushings?

Thanks, Greg
--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

news:<[email protected]>...
> Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
> rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
> rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
> pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.
>
> If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
> worn or the bushings?

Bushings is my bet. The Freak doesn't have a clunk yet, but I know it's due for a full set of
bushings (and new main pivot bearings) for all of the suspension links. Two years is plenty of use
for parts like bushings.

JD

news:p[email protected]...

> Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a
slight
> clunk somewhere in my rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat
> while holding down the rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar
> bike. The pivots all seem pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.
>
> If I pull my shock off and the spacers come right out would that mean the spacers are most likely
> worn or the bushings?
>
> Thanks, Greg
> --

Yep bad bushings. Same thing happened to my Tracer. I could lift the seat a quarter inch. I stopped
be the Fox Tech Support trailer at a race and they press fit new bushings and gave me new spacers.
All better now. They used a tool in a vise to press out the old and in the new so I don't know if
this can be done at home. You may have to send it back to Fox.

Mike

> Michael Dart wrote:
> > "Alex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I got the upgrade kit for the faulty seal that Fox put in my float R (on a FSRxc) and I started
> >>taking it off the bike, and disasembling it, but I cannot get the reducers off. Is there a
> >>specific way of doing this??, the fox site doesn't mention anything on the topic, and I can't
> >>get them off.
> >>
> >>thanks for any help.
> >>

> >>Alex
> >>

> > Do you mean the alumimum (silver colored) mount spacers/bushings? If so you just grip them with
> > a pair of channelock pliers and pull with a twisting motion. They should pop out eventually.
> > Sometimes it takes quite a bit of effort but this is good, it means your bushings are in good
> > shape.
> >

> Which reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. I've got a slight clunk somewhere in my
> rear suspension. If I'm standing next to the bike and pull up on the seat while holding down the
> rear wheel, I get a little clunk. I've got a Float RC on a basic 4-bar bike. The pivots all seem
> pretty solid so I figure the problem lies in the shock bushings.

The bottom eye bushing is the first to wear out in the FSR design. Fortunately they are cheap.
--

I did it at home using a vise and a small piece of copper pipe to allow the old bushing to exit
as the new one was squished in. Its tricky to get it lined up so that the new one goes in
straight. Paul