Reducing develpement

KarineM

Jul 28, 2005
Hello,

I would like to reduce the developement of my gearing to go over mountain passes with luggage.

I have campy 10 speed 30/40/50 and 13-29. (650-23 wheels) 170 cranks.

I have found a chainring 28 compatible campy triple from TA Spécialités, that is supposed to work with my Campy front derailleur. :)

I was also wondering if I could also/or up my smallest sprocket size to 30.
I calculated on the Shelby Brown gear chart, that this would give about the same reduction. But I haven't been able to find anything compatible Campy.
(I don't even need a complete set of sprockets, just the two smallest would do.)

Anybody have any ideas?

Karine

Your Campy left shifter will drive a Shimano MTB front derailleur with an MTB triple such as a 22/32/44 or 26/36/48. If you have an english thread BB shell, this would be the simplest of mods, and you'd be looking at a serious improvement in your low-end gears. With a 28T granny sprocket, or a 30T big rear sprocket, you're not going to notice much change from your current set-up.

KarineM said:
Hello,

I would like to reduce the developement of my gearing to go over mountain passes with luggage.

I have campy 10 speed 30/40/50 and 13-29. (650-23 wheels) 170 cranks.

I have found a chainring 28 compatible campy triple from TA Spécialités, that is supposed to work with my Campy front derailleur. :)

I was also wondering if I could also/or up my smallest sprocket size to 30.
I calculated on the Shelby Brown gear chart, that this would give about the same reduction. But I haven't been able to find anything compatible Campy.
(I don't even need a complete set of sprockets, just the two smallest would do.)

Anybody have any ideas?

Karine

I have successfully put a 26t smallest ring onto Campagnolo setups w/o problem..Having a 50/40 will help.

Peter@vecchios said:
Having a 50/40 will help.
A bike being prepared for loaded touring over mountain passes has a lot less need for a 50T big ring than it has for a low gear near or below 20inches. With 26/40/50, she'd be exceeding the capacity of her RD -this could be used by a careful rider, but I wouldn't be telling a stranger to do it.
26T granny gives about 24 inches, 22T granny gives about 20 inches.

artemidorus said:
A bike being prepared for loaded touring over mountain passes has a lot less need for a 50T big ring than it has for a low gear near or below 20inches. With 26/40/50, she'd be exceeding the capacity of her RD -this could be used by a careful rider, but I wouldn't be telling a stranger to do it.
26T granny gives about 24 inches, 22T granny gives about 20 inches.

Not exceeding the RD 'capacity' if a medium or long cage Campag RD. Numbers are jist a guide. Actual installation and use is the answer. I have instaalled many 26t small rings onto Campag triples w/o any problems or issues, both 52/3 and 50t large rings.

Peter@vecchios said:
Not exceeding the RD 'capacity' if a medium or long cage Campag RD. Numbers are jist a guide. Actual installation and use is the answer. I have instaalled many 26t small rings onto Campag triples w/o any problems or issues, both 52/3 and 50t large rings.
I agree that you could probably get away it, but you'd have to get the chain length perfect and perhaps also avoid accidental big/big and small/small combinations. As I read it, the listed capacity for a Campy long-cage RD is 39T, and 26/40/50 with 29-13 "requires" 40T capacity.

artemidorus said:
I agree that you could probably get away it, but you'd have to get the chain length perfect and perhaps also avoid accidental big/big and small/small combinations. As I read it, the listed capacity for a Campy long-cage RD is 39T, and 26/40/50 with 29-13 "requires" 40T capacity.

No 'getting away with it', it just works fine and big-big AND small-small combos are no problem. 'Perfect' chain length is not rocket surgery either.
'Capacity' numbers are a general guide. Remember, shimano FD 'capacity' was a difference maximum of 15 teeth..until compact cranks(R600/700) and magically their number changed to 16t.

Peter@vecchios said:
No 'getting away with it', it just works fine and big-big AND small-small combos are no problem. 'Perfect' chain length is not rocket surgery either.
'Capacity' numbers are a general guide. Remember, shimano FD 'capacity' was a difference maximum of 15 teeth..until compact cranks(R600/700) and magically their number changed to 16t.
Well, if you've done it and it works, so be it.
FD "capacity" relates more to ease of shifting than the potential for gear-destroying disaster that exists if RD capacity is exceeded.