reevu helmets in aus?

Jorgen

Guest
www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?

I want both the mtb and mc helmets.

"Jorgen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?
>
> I want both the mtb and mc helmets.

Hiya, A guy at work enquired the same - Reevu said that they anticipated Australian Standards
approval Jan 2004 and distribution March 2004, expected cost was $180 - I can't remember if ithe
price was for the MC helmet or the bike helmet, sorry.

> Hiya, A guy at work enquired the same - Reevu said that they anticipated Australian Standards
> approval Jan 2004 and distribution March 2004, expected cost was $180 - I can't remember if ithe
> price was for the MC helmet or the bike helmet, sorry.

Wouldnt get the MC helmet for $180, that'd be the pushy helmet. MC helmets (to quote from the email
i was sent) are... "The price will be circa 350 to 400 euro depending on Local taxes.".

Cheers, Derek

> Hiya, A guy at work enquired the same - Reevu said that they anticipated Australian Standards
> approval Jan 2004 and distribution March 2004, expected cost was $180 - I can't remember if ithe
> price was for the MC helmet or the bike helmet, sorry.

Wouldnt get the MC helmet for $180, that'd be the pushy helmet. MC helmets (to quote from the email
i was sent) are... "The price will be circa 350 to 400 euro depending on Local taxes.".

Cheers, Derek

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

[...]

> Wouldnt get the MC helmet for $180, that'd be the pushy helmet. MC helmets (to quote from the
> email i was sent) are... "The price will be circa 350 to 400 euro depending on Local taxes.".

Cool, $180 is cheaper than my Gyro Hammerhead helmet ($250) which I love. Can't wait to check the
Reevu out, it seems to be similar in construction. I just hope it's lightweight as well, that's one
of my main criteria.

A good motorbike helmet would be in the 600-900 range, depending upon decals. I'm presently using a
white Shoei helmet that cost me $600 -- those decals were just distracting anyway.. ;)

I certainly won't be ordering one fron Wheel 2 Wheel in Britian.

They quoted me 67 pounds for the helmet (fair price), plus 69 pounds for shipping (ripoff). I didn't
realise you could reserve a first class ticket on BA for a bike helmet :)

John L.

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:10:05 +1100, "Jorgen" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>>
>[...]
>
>> Wouldnt get the MC helmet for $180, that'd be the pushy helmet. MC helmets (to quote from the
>> email i was sent) are... "The price will be circa 350 to 400 euro depending on Local taxes.".
>
>Cool, $180 is cheaper than my Gyro Hammerhead helmet ($250) which I love. Can't wait to check the
>Reevu out, it seems to be similar in construction. I just hope it's lightweight as well, that's one
>of my main criteria.
>
>A good motorbike helmet would be in the 600-900 range, depending upon decals. I'm presently using a
>white Shoei helmet that cost me $600 -- those decals were just distracting anyway.. ;)

> www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?
>
> I want both the mtb and mc helmets.

I think they will take a little bit of getting used to, as instinct tells you to look/turn head left
to see into the left mirror, (or left headcheck), and right to look right. The reevu will require
you to turn your head to the right to see to the rear-left of you, and vice versa. I think it will
be quite uneasy to begin with and this may hurt their sales. The MC helmet will be good too, i'm
sick of only seeing my elbows in the mirrors.

Cheers, Derek

"Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?
> >
> > I want both the mtb and mc helmets.
>
> I think they will take a little bit of getting used to, as instinct tells you to look/turn head
> left to see into the left mirror, (or left headcheck), and right to look right. The reevu will
> require you to

Yeah, that crossed my mind. But it's certainly something I could get used to rather easily I think.

The way I see it being swiped by someone approaching from behind is by far the biggest chance for me
to get taken out on my pushie. The Reevu would make the most sense on a pushie, but even on a bike
it would be a welcome relief --- maybe it could make me slow down a bit too, as I normally ride a
tad bit bit faster than traffic as I prefer to deal with what I can see, rather than constantly
being overtaken by cars that like to do +5.

> turn your head to the right to see to the rear-left of you, and vice versa. I think it will be
> quite uneasy to begin with and this may hurt their sales. The MC helmet will be good too, i'm sick
> of only seeing my elbows in the mirrors.

Absolutely, my CBR250RR motorbike mirrors are worth SFA. I've already gotten used to shifting
my body so that I can get a view, when I need to. My pushbike handlebar mirror gives me
better coverage.

Hmmm, with a Reevuu, I wonder if they'll be covering up the back side of my helmet when doing
Phillip Island ride days? :)

"Jorgen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?

I bought 1 in Singapore for S $ 250/-. It took some getting used to, but can get quite useful in
road rides.

I have used it for almost 2 months and at the moment can see 3 minus points
:
1. It's heavier than the usual biking helmets
2. The mirror angles are not adjustable, so it forces you the wear the helmet in one position and
one position only.
3. If you are long sighted or presbyopic, you get a bit of an eye strain looking into the mirror.

I have also noticed that it does not seem to be as good in dimming light eg. at dusk.

Van

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:19:05 +1100, Jorgen said (and I quote):
> The way I see it being swiped by someone approaching from behind is by far the biggest chance for
> me to get taken out on my pushie.

A common perception, but a false one. The biggest chance of being taken out is from the things in
front of you, not the things behind you. See the following:

http://www.johnforester.com/Articles/Safety/Cross01.htm
http://www.wright.edu/~jeffrey.hiles/essays/listening/ch2.html
http://www.wright.edu/~jeffrey.hiles/essays/listening/ch3.html
--
A: Top-posters.
B: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?

Originally posted by Derek
> www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?
>
> I want both the mtb and mc helmets.

I think they will take a little bit of getting used to, as instinct tells you to look/turn head left
to see into the left mirror, (or left headcheck), and right to look right. The reevu will require
you to turn your head to the right to see to the rear-left of you, and vice versa. I think it will
be quite uneasy to begin with and this may hurt their sales. The MC helmet will be good too, i'm
sick of only seeing my elbows in the mirrors.

Cheers, Derek

Noting Derek's concerns, I had a look at the web-site, and they provide a selection of typical rear views from the helmet. The spread / angle seems comparable to a vehicle rear-view mirror. Check out at: www.reevu.com/what_you_see.asp

However, Van (2 posts later) comes up with some fairly specific comments from experience and has probably mentioned two of the most important, ie weight and effectiveness at dusk. I wonder if he can comment on the actual sight picture, and how effective that is in comparison to say a Cat-eye bar end mirror?

regards and stay safe.

SteveDel ("I ride to work, but I work to ride!")

Originally posted by Van Weng Koon
"Jorgen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > www.reevu.com - anyone seen them here down under?

I bought 1 in Singapore for S $ 250/-. It took some getting used to, but can get quite useful in
road rides.

I have used it for almost 2 months and at the moment can see 3 minus points
:
1. It's heavier than the usual biking helmets
2. The mirror angles are not adjustable, so it forces you the wear the helmet in one position and
one position only.
3. If you are long sighted or presbyopic, you get a bit of an eye strain looking into the mirror.

I have also noticed that it does not seem to be as good in dimming light eg. at dusk.

Van

Hey Van,
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that once again weight is a factor. What sort of neck strain are you experiencing over what length of time? Or are you developing stronger neck muscles without really trying?

I wonder if you can also comment on the actual sight picture, and how effective that is in comparison to say a Cat-eye bar end mirror? and maybe a comment as to the accuracy of the views depicted as part of the info blurb on their site at: www.reevu.com/what_you_see.asp

Thanks

SteveDel ("I ride to work, but I work to ride!")

> Hey Van, Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that once again weight is a factor. What sort of
> neck strain are you experiencing over what length of time? Or are you developing stronger neck
> muscles without really trying?

Yeah, I noticed a bit of neck strain initially but got used to it after about a week.

> I wonder if you can also comment on the actual sight picture, and how effective that is in
> comparison to say a Cat-eye bar end mirror? and maybe a comment as to the accuracy of the views
> depicted as part of the info blurb on their site at: www.reevu.com/what_you_see.asp

The view is somewhat like looking through a concave mirror. However, it does not seem to be as
bright or clear as the blurb on their website. But then perhaps it could be due to my presbyopia.

Van

Originally posted by Van Weng Koon
The view is somewhat like looking through a concave mirror. However, it does not seem to be as
bright or clear as the blurb on their website. But then perhaps it could be due to my presbyopia.

Van [/B]

Thanks Van, I also suffer from presbyopia, but didn't know it. I was just told by the optometrist that I was getting old and that at the age of fifty, I needed to get reading glasses, as my arms had got shorter! ;)

Seriously though, I do not have any problems with mirrors, in fact I have been known to use a mirror to increase the focal length to allow me to focus on small areas when working up relatively close on machinery - (look at the object, not at the mirror) - eg. adjusting derailleurs etc - when I haven't got my glasses with me. (Still getting used to the fact that I need them, either that or I am starting to suffer from "old-timers disease" and just plain forgetting them!);)

regards

SteveDel ("I ride to work, but I work to ride!")

"SteveDel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks Van, I also suffer from presbyopia, but didn't know it. I was just told by the optometrist
> that I was getting old and that at the age of fifty, I needed to get reading glasses, as my arms
> had got shorter! ;)

Ha !! Looks like you and I are in the same Age-boat. I found out about my presbyopia only when the
hard cover books I was reading began to feel heavier than usual. ( Try holding a 1 Kg book at arms
length for about an hour and you will see what I mean. ).

Anyway, back to the Reevue Helmet. I am still having difficulty estimating distances of objects
behind me when using the helmet. I do not seem to have that problem with the concave rear-view
mirror in my car though.

Van